Snowpiercer

As some may be aware, there have been some interesting movies coming out of South Korea in recent years.  (Oldboy, Sympathy for Mister Vengeance and I Saw The Devil are some of my faves.)  And the directors of these films are now getting work on American films (The Last Stand, Stoker.)  These movies cover a variety of genres and styles but always seem intent on challenging the status quo. 

One of the stranger South Korean imports is "The Host," a monster movie set in Seoul.  The director of "The Host," Joon-ho Bong has now adapted the the French Graphic Novel, "Snowpiercer" to film.  It took some doing but I was able to get a hold of a copy of the movie and really enjoyed it.  It's basically a post apocalyptic Sci-fi action movie which uses a train as a metaphor for social strata.  I haven't read the graphic novel so I can't comment on how it compares to the movie.  Very high production values and some big name actors involved including Chris Evans and John Hurt.  I found it very entertaining.  I would definitely recommend it to fans of oddball sci-fi art films.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• We're flip sides of the coin, 'Tec -- I've read the GN but not seen the movie! Here's what I said about it in a McClatchy column.

• Captain Comics said:

We're flip sides of the coin, 'Tec -- I've read the GN but not seen the movie! Here's what I said about it in a McClatchy column.

Nice column Cap.

It's strange...I thought I did a search before I posted but I must have done something wrong because I never saw your post until now. Anyway, it sounds like our reactions are pretty similar so it must be a pretty close adaptation.

I bet I can guess what portions the studio wanted to cut from the movie too.
  • I find that the Ning search engine is next to useless. When I want to find "X," I Google "X captaincomics.ning.com."

• Captain Comics said:

I find that the Ning search engine is next to useless. When I want to find "X," I Google "X captaincomics.ning.com."

Ok thanks. I'll try that next time.
This reply was deleted.