Replies

• I just finished up Charlie Pierce's Idiot America, which I found to be a fun read. Pierce has such a great voice, and this book — which explores how the grand American tradition of the nutjob crank has taken hold and become a driving force to create a culture of idiocy — is a perfect platform for that voice.

Through a combination of impulse check-outs and holds coming in, I've kind of gone overboard on getting books from the library: currently I have...
    * The Lust Lizards of Melancholy Cove, Island of the Sequined Love Nun and Fool by Christopher Moore (I've been on a Christopher Moore kick lately)
    * Death's Daughter by Amber Benson (yes, as in, Tara from Buffy Amber Benson)
    * Dead Man's Puzzle by Parnell Hall (I've never read, but have been curious about, his "Puzzle Lady" series, so thought I'd give the new one a look)
    * The Tyranny of Dead Ideas by Matthew Miller (I just love that title)
    * Driving Like Crazy by P. J. O'Rourke

(That's not counting the 20-something graphic novels I've gotten from various libraries...)

Based on due dates and possibility of renewal, I've started in on Island of the Sequined Love Nun next, as it's the closest to having to be returned; I'm not sure how many others of these seven I'll be able to get to...

Oh yes; I've also been listening to Blade Runner Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep on audiobook... Nearly done with that one, and am enjoying it immensely. Once I'm done, I'm going to try (for the fifth or so time) to watch Blade Runner, and hopefully not fall asleep this time!
  • I just started--I'm talking like two pages in--Doctor Who: The Slow Empire. It features the Doctor, Fitz, and Anji. I just finished Doctor Who: The Pirate Loop (the Doctor and Martha) and can't recommend that one enough. It was a terrific read.
  • Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bordain
  • Jason Marconnet (Lime_Coke) said:
    Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bordain

Oooh, good one!
  • Finished Blade Runner Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep today. Next audiobook loaded onto the ol' iPod is Mary Poppins! (Though it may be a few days/weeks/months before I start it, depending on how distracting my podcasts are...)

sly simpson said:
    I read all the Narnia books, and now I am reading the Harry Potter series.

Not for the first time, surely?
  • I have three books on the go right now (which is somewhat unusual for me):

Star Wars: Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter: which I started a couple of weeks ago and then set aside for a comic book binge; I keep meaning to pick it up again but get distracted by something else instead

His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik: a fantasy novel I picked up for free for my new Sony Reader; it's been pretty good so far

Generation X by Douglas Coupland: one of the hip books that everybody was reading when I was in college; that I skipped out on at the time but felt like reading now; I'm enjoying it quite a bit but I'm glad I waited to read it 'til now
  • I'm finding myself hungry for more novels and graphic novels since emerging from my Materials and Services for Young Adults class. To that end, I'm reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I figured I should read it since I built a Teen Read Week program around it. I would really like nothing better than to be reading it right now. It's first sequel comes out in September.
  • I just finished the latest novel starring Special Agent Pendergast, Cemetary Dance by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.

I'm a few pages into the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey.

• The Second Black Lizard Anthology of Crime Fiction, I am about 70 pages in, and man did they need to fire their editor. Extra words in sentences, missing quote, missing words and letters, one character given the wrong name at the end of one of the stories. The stories themselves are good quick reads though.
  • I'm still reading The Slow Empire. It's not a bad story. I'm just easily distracted. For example, I'm also reading Was Superman a Spy? which I checked out from the library. This book will be on my Christmas list! I need it on my bookshelf and you should read it, too. I'm also reading Doctor Who: Being Human out loud to Jenn at night.
This reply was deleted.