Just bringing this discussion over to ning...

What books are you reading right now that don't have a narrative driven by images as well as words?

Views: 14698

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. The 1963 film adaption has a very creepy feel to it, not scary but creepy.
doc photo said:
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. The 1963 film adaption has a very creepy feel to it, not scary but creepy.

I love both the book and the '63 film. Robert Wise captured the spirit of the book perfectly.

(The less said about the '99 film the better, of course.)
I'm re-reading Anna Karenina for the fourth time. A friend is teaching it in a lit class this fall and unintentionally inspired me to read it as well.
I've just finished The Chief Legatee, by Anna Katherine Green. I spotted the solution to the mystery early in this one.
I'm reading Usurper of the Sun, by Housuke Najiri, an interesting sci-fi "first contact" novel.
For some reason, I just felt a sudden urge to re-read My Kinsman, Major Molineux.
I love the "Twice-Told Tales."
The Timeline Of The Civil War by John D. Wright.
I am always listening to a book on tape in my car. Currently the book is Fer-De-Lance by Rex Stout.
Reading Missin', by Novala Takemoto, the author of Kamikaze Girls.
My current book on tape is Hard Eight by Janet Evanovich.
Working on Moby Dick. I know it's a classic, probably the greatest novel in American literature. But it's not an easy read, lemme tell ya.
I've just finished Fergus Hume's The Mystery of a Hansom Cab, a very successful Victorian mystery novel. This is set in Melbourne. It's rather like a Anna Katherine Green novel, but perhaps a tad less interesting.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion She-Hulk
"ISSUE #5: This issue confirms what I suspected all along: I haven't read this series since it…"
8 minutes ago
Peter Wrexham replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Something similar from DC.  The Atom #1 was cover-dated July 1962, though there was no number…"
11 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Alan M.'s discussion So, What Are You Reading These Days? (besides comics)
"STARDUST: A couple of weeks ago, my niece contacted me about the Sandman TV show and comic book. I…"
34 minutes ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 870 Super-Heroines
"I do appreciate your effort, sir.   Actually, I think I may have gone out with Yelling…"
3 hours ago
Eric L. Sofer replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 870 Super-Heroines
"I hope my choices helped, my friend. Yeah, a lot of the normalman characters were pretty much one…"
3 hours ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"When Dell and Western (Gold Key) split Dell started a whole bunch of titles to replace the titles…"
3 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 870 Super-Heroines
"Also added the Alley Cat and Twilight."
4 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 868 Super-Heroines
"Added Scorpio Eose, Whisper and Willow."
4 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 865 Super-Heroines
"OK."
4 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"More Marvel nonsense:"
5 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 865 Super-Heroines
"Submitted for your approval... Scorpio Rose: Willow (cybernetic telepath): Whisper:"
5 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 865 Super-Heroines
"Answers for Eric: Tara from the Herculoids: This may seem pedantic, but I feel as though, even…"
12 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service