Just bringing this discussion over to ning...

What books are you reading right now that don't have a narrative driven by images as well as words?

Views: 14976

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. The 1963 film adaption has a very creepy feel to it, not scary but creepy.
doc photo said:
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. The 1963 film adaption has a very creepy feel to it, not scary but creepy.

I love both the book and the '63 film. Robert Wise captured the spirit of the book perfectly.

(The less said about the '99 film the better, of course.)
I'm re-reading Anna Karenina for the fourth time. A friend is teaching it in a lit class this fall and unintentionally inspired me to read it as well.
I've just finished The Chief Legatee, by Anna Katherine Green. I spotted the solution to the mystery early in this one.
I'm reading Usurper of the Sun, by Housuke Najiri, an interesting sci-fi "first contact" novel.
For some reason, I just felt a sudden urge to re-read My Kinsman, Major Molineux.
I love the "Twice-Told Tales."
The Timeline Of The Civil War by John D. Wright.
I am always listening to a book on tape in my car. Currently the book is Fer-De-Lance by Rex Stout.
Reading Missin', by Novala Takemoto, the author of Kamikaze Girls.
My current book on tape is Hard Eight by Janet Evanovich.
Working on Moby Dick. I know it's a classic, probably the greatest novel in American literature. But it's not an easy read, lemme tell ya.
I've just finished Fergus Hume's The Mystery of a Hansom Cab, a very successful Victorian mystery novel. This is set in Melbourne. It's rather like a Anna Katherine Green novel, but perhaps a tad less interesting.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion Ray Palmer and Jean Loring's Wedding
"Cool. Thanks, gents."
2 minutes ago
Commander Benson replied to The Baron's discussion Ray Palmer and Jean Loring's Wedding
"Oops! Philip beat me to it."
13 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod)'s discussion Your Favorite Things of the Year! (Est. 2017)
"Last volume! This is late, but I'll bet they delayed it to coincide with Charles Schulz'…"
14 minutes ago
Commander Benson replied to The Baron's discussion Ray Palmer and Jean Loring's Wedding
"The Grand Comics Database entry on this issue indicates that the fellow between and behind Aquaman…"
15 minutes ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Today's offering is all about paying attention..."
20 minutes ago
Philip Portelli replied to The Baron's discussion Ray Palmer and Jean Loring's Wedding
"That's Adam (Captain Comet) Blake who helped the Atom in his search for Jean in Super…"
22 minutes ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"GCD says Little Archie #95 was cover dated May 1975, The concept started out in the Archie Giant…"
22 minutes ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"According to GCD, Little Archie #95 was published in May 1975 - one month before I left school.…"
23 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Dark Shadows
""Selby's character is named Quentin, although he doesn't seem to be the same guy as…"
29 minutes ago
The Baron replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"When was this published?  I know that back at St. Anne's, the nuns got away with stuff…"
31 minutes ago
Irma Kruhl replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
33 minutes ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I know art can be subjective, but still... (Images courtesy of the Grand Comics Database.) I…"
38 minutes ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service