Just bringing this discussion over to ning...

What books are you reading right now that don't have a narrative driven by images as well as words?

Views: 12850

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For my October non-comics reading this year, I was finally going to get around to reading Varney the Vampyre.  I cracked open my Dover reproduction of the 1847 original penny dreadful and OH MY GOD this print is too damn small for my old eyes!!!!!!!!!

I think I may have finally found something that I am literally too old to read.

Gangland Boston, by Emily Sweeney. It's an interesting look at criminal gangs in and around Boston in the Twentieth Century.  My paternal grandfather was a police officer in Boston from the 30's to the 70's, and I'm pretty sure he knew at least one of the guys mentioned in this book.

Sound Man by Glyn Johns. Johns began his career as music studio engineer/producer just as the British rock music scene was taking off. The book contains numerous stories of his work with some of the biggest bands of the 60's onward. Through it all he never got involved in the drug scene that negatively affected many of his clients. Interesting stuff if you are a fan of classic rock.

I'm just finishing The Girls by Lori Lansens (the one about the conjoined twins, not the Manson one) and (apart from the fact that it's set nearby), I'm really impressed by it.

I should be starting Chasing the Boogeyman next, and reviewing it in time for Halloween.

I finished The Two Minute Rule. and I rather enjoyed it. I still like the comfort of Crais' Elvis Cole novels better, but this was a very good book. And has a sweetness to it, his other books lack.

I just started Trumps of Doom, which was the second cycle of Amber novels by Roger Zelazny. I understand these are pretty different from the first series, and involve a different set of charcaters, so I'm not sure how to feel about that. I will hope for the best.

I just finished Allan Sherman's "The Rape of the A*P*E* – The Official History of the Sex Revolution 1945–1973: The Obscening of America. An R*S*V*P* Document", and am re-reading the "Illuminatus" trilogy(something I do every ten years or so).

Recently read Doctor Who - The TV Movie, by Gary Russell

Now reading Doctor Who -The Witchfinders, by Joy Wilkinson

SUPERMAN: LAST SON OF KRYPTON by Elliot S. Maggin: 

(I guess this paperback counts as "besides comics.")

Inspired by the Super-Heroes Every Day blog (currently forty seven minutes into Superman: the Movie), I decided to read this "First in Warner's New Series of Superman Novels." I picked it up several years ago at HPB knowing that I would be in the mood to read it someday. Despite the photo of Christopher Reeve in costume on the cover, Last Son of Krypton has absolutely nothing to do with the movie; it's its own thing. If I hadn't already been tangentially familiar with it, I would have been surprised to discover that it included such characters as the Guardians of the Universe and the GLC from DC Comics proper. Much of the story includes flashbacks to Smallville and Superboy, and I was more likely to picture Curt Swan drawing in my head than Chris Reeve, Margot Kidder and Gene Hackman. 

Maggin has an interesting writing style. Many of his chapters begin, not where the previous one left off, but with a unrelated anecdotes of their own. I don't know if Albert Einstein's involvement in superman's origin (finally "revealed" at the end) was supposed to be a "secret" or not, but it was pretty easy to figure out in any case. the book wouldn't have made a good movie (or a comic book, either, for that matter) for one simple reason: there's not enough visual action. That's fine for prose, but it wouldn't translate well to four-color page or the big screen. It was pleasant enough to read once, but I doubt I will ever read it again.

I enjoyed his depiction on Lex in that book.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

SUPERMAN: LAST SON OF KRYPTON by Elliot S. Maggin: 

(I guess this paperback counts as "besides comics.")

Inspired by the Super-Heroes Every Day blog (currently forty seven minutes into Superman: the Movie), I decided to read this "First in Warner's New Series of Superman Novels." I picked it up several years ago at HPB knowing that I would be in the mood to read it someday. Despite the photo of Christopher Reeve in costume on the cover, Last Son of Krypton has absolutely nothing to do with the movie; it's its own thing. If I hadn't already been tangentially familiar with it, I would have been surprised to discover that it included such characters as the Guardians of the Universe and the GLC from DC Comics proper. Much of the story includes flashbacks to Smallville and Superboy, and I was more likely to picture Curt Swan drawing in my head than Chris Reeve, Margot Kidder and Gene Hackman. 

Maggin has an interesting writing style. Many of his chapters begin, not where the previous one left off, but with a unrelated anecdotes of their own. I don't know if Albert Einstein's involvement in superman's origin (finally "revealed" at the end) was supposed to be a "secret" or not, but it was pretty easy to figure out in any case. the book wouldn't have made a good movie (or a comic book, either, for that matter) for one simple reason: there's not enough visual action. That's fine for prose, but it wouldn't translate well to four-color page or the big screen. It was pleasant enough to read once, but I doubt I will ever read it again.

"I enjoyed his depiction on Lex in that book."

Oh, yeah... I meant to mention that. It certainly was... unusual.

For for example, those of you who haven't read it, Lex refers to Superman as "Noodle." He stared with "Supes" which sound like "soup." From there he went to "turkey noodle," "Noodle" for short.

"May I call you 'Noodle'?"

I wrapped up Trumps of Doom, Saturday night, and I really liked it. Quite a bit of time has passed between the first series, and this one. I enjoy finding out what has happened in between in bits and pieces. Kind of builds up the mystery.

I'm currently reading Whiskey Sour by J.A. Konrath. A serial killer, The Gingerbread Man, has announced his presence in Chicago. Detective Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels is heading up the investigation. I'm a little over 50 pages in, and so far so good. Oddly, I don't recall reading very many books that take place in Chicago.

Now reading Doctor Who and the Pirate Planet, by Douglas Adams and James Goss

The Baron said:

Recently read Doctor Who - The TV Movie, by Gary Russell

Now reading Doctor Who -The Witchfinders, by Joy Wilkinson

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service