Just bringing this discussion over to ning...

What books are you reading right now that don't have a narrative driven by images as well as words?

Views: 15011

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. The 1963 film adaption has a very creepy feel to it, not scary but creepy.
doc photo said:
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. The 1963 film adaption has a very creepy feel to it, not scary but creepy.

I love both the book and the '63 film. Robert Wise captured the spirit of the book perfectly.

(The less said about the '99 film the better, of course.)
I'm re-reading Anna Karenina for the fourth time. A friend is teaching it in a lit class this fall and unintentionally inspired me to read it as well.
I've just finished The Chief Legatee, by Anna Katherine Green. I spotted the solution to the mystery early in this one.
I'm reading Usurper of the Sun, by Housuke Najiri, an interesting sci-fi "first contact" novel.
For some reason, I just felt a sudden urge to re-read My Kinsman, Major Molineux.
I love the "Twice-Told Tales."
The Timeline Of The Civil War by John D. Wright.
I am always listening to a book on tape in my car. Currently the book is Fer-De-Lance by Rex Stout.
Reading Missin', by Novala Takemoto, the author of Kamikaze Girls.
My current book on tape is Hard Eight by Janet Evanovich.
Working on Moby Dick. I know it's a classic, probably the greatest novel in American literature. But it's not an easy read, lemme tell ya.
I've just finished Fergus Hume's The Mystery of a Hansom Cab, a very successful Victorian mystery novel. This is set in Melbourne. It's rather like a Anna Katherine Green novel, but perhaps a tad less interesting.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Dark Shadows
""Barnabas... BEING the secret Edith didn't want anyone to know about..." "You!…"
23 seconds ago
Philip Portelli replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Gigantor, the Space Age Robot or Tetsugin 28-go ("Iron Man no.28")! "
9 minutes ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod)'s discussion A Look Back at Vertigo: Shade the Changing Man
"Issues 5 and 6 take place in Hollywood, and are mostly concerned with how fake everything is. The…"
1 hour ago
Commander Benson replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 240 Requiem for a Son
"Thank you all for your kind thoughts and prayers.  Tragedy comes to all men.  This was…"
1 hour ago
The Baron replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Dark Shadows
"Dark Shadows went from being a soap opera with mild Gothic elements to a spookfest where…"
2 hours ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Dark Shadows
"I've seen up through episode 709 now.  Barnabas is pretty ensconced in the family…"
2 hours ago
Peter Wrexham replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Robot dog?  Robot dog! Also Daleks, and (not pictured) "Robots of Death!""
4 hours ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Three from Bob Hope"
5 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion DC's 1st Issue Specials
"MANHUNTER: WRITER: Jack Kirby ARTIST: Jack Kirby PEDIGREE: Golden  Age Simon & Kirby…"
6 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"Oh, I forgot to mention Mr. Fantastic's new power yesterday. In order to disguise himself, he…"
6 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
""After that, the Pierce Brosnan ones, I think (and maybe read the novelizations as…"
6 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"MethodEng posted the Spider-Slayer Mark I back on December 2. Here's the Mark II..."
6 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service