Just bringing this discussion over to ning...

What books are you reading right now that don't have a narrative driven by images as well as words?

Views: 13949

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've recently finished Pirates! in an Adventure with Scientists by Gideon Defoe, a zany mock-naive pirate story with some decent gags, and listened to Librivox version of The Lost Stradivarius, a ghost story in the form of a short novel by J. Meade Faulkner.
Pronto by Elmore Leonard. He is usually a fun, fast read.
I've read several Elmore Leonard novels and it has never taken more than two days to get through them. Once you start reading one, you just can't stop.
Doc Beechler said:
New Michael Chabon non-fiction today!

Me, too. I read Doc's post last week, then I read a newspaper and a magazine review of it, then last weekend I heard the author interviewed on NPR. I don't need a building to fall on me! (Not usually, anyway.) It's a good book to travel with (which is what I'm doing now) because, as a collection of essays and other short pieces, it's easy to pick up and put down.
"The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas. This will probably take me a little bit longer to read than the Elmore Leonard book.
"A Princess of Mars." Every once in awhile, I feel like going on a Burroughs binge.
Finally finished the Heimskringla. And now, for something completely different...The Stranger, by Albert Camus. This choice was also inspired by Masterpiece Comics.
On to "The Gods of Mars."
Still finishing "Anna Karenina"- have about 150 pages to go after setting it aside for a couple of weeks (while I worked on another project and read mostly comic books).

Up next is a batch of baseball related books about the obscure corners of the game- the 19th century and the Negro Leagues.
The Baron said:
Finally finished the Heimskringla. And now, for something completely different...The Stranger, by Albert Camus. This choice was also inspired by Masterpiece Comics.

Well, that was a quick read.
The Baron said:
The Baron said:

Well, that was a quick read.

It's much harder in the original Klingon.
In the past week I have read Rick Riordan's The Lightning Thief (Book 1 of the Percy Jackson series). Great book, just the thing for Potter and Greek Myth fans.

I also just finished Extras the 4th book of the Uglies series (originally a trilogy)... I thought it was a very enjoyable coda.

Next up, I have Peeps also by Scott Westerfeld and The Lovely Bones, sitting on bedside table as well as the Percy Jackson sequels...might have to make some time to read some comics again sometime.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Richard Willis replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"John Totleben said: Of course, it had been less than a year since we had driven a stake through the…"
21 minutes ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Been so busy with family matters I almost didn't make it here today! A couple of more Neal…"
3 hours ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"But seriously, that Tarzan collection sounds great! I'm not a big Tarzan fan, but I had a…"
11 hours ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"Well, he's Tarzan. Looking good in a loincloth is pretty much his whole deal."
11 hours ago
Luis Olavo de Moura Dantas replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"Indeed.  Swamp Thing at this point may want to hold on to his humanity - or human traits, at…"
12 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Their lack of cinematic success filled the JLA with shame! "
13 hours ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Dark Shadows
"Haven't made a lot of progress, but I saw episode 589 last night.A lot of soap opera…"
13 hours ago
Randy Jackson replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"I personally found the story of these two issues not to be very interesting, but what I did really…"
13 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Cavaliere (moderator emeritus)'s discussion What are you watching right now?
"SWAMP THING (2019 TV SERIES): After we read the Bronze Age Swamp Thing in 2017, Tracy and I started…"
15 hours ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Let’s finish out Zero Patrol with a couple of “sword and sorcery” covers and a…"
15 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"ISSUE #42: The title of this story is "Strange Fruit." On page 18, Swamp Thing narrates:…"
15 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion The New Season (2021)
"While we're all reflecting on This Is Us and how well it sticked the landing in its…"
16 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service