Just bringing this discussion over to ning...

What books are you reading right now that don't have a narrative driven by images as well as words?

Views: 10060

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm finishing up the Percy Jackson series with the fifth and final book: The Last Olympian. I've been reading at a really good pace in general. This is my ninth novel since the week of Thanksgiving.
I went through all three Dean Koontz's Frankenstein books in a week. I will be doing a blog post about those next week. Currently I am reading American Gods by some guy named Gaimen. It seems like I have seen him mentioned around here somewhere.
I've finished The Black Camel by Earl Derr Biggers, from his Charlie Chan series, and The Chase of the Golden Plate by Jacques Futrelle, a short Thinking Machine novel.
Howard Bagby said:
ICurrently I am reading American Gods by some guy named Gaimen. It seems like I have seen him mentioned around here somewhere.

Funny you should mention him. I'm currently reading Smoke & Mirrors (a short story collection) and listening to the unabridged audio of Good Omens (co-written with Terry Prachett). I'm also reading Every Which Way But Dead by Kim Harrison.
I've finished The Exploits of Sherlock Holmes by Adrian Conan Doyle and John Dickson Carr, and Again the Three by Edgar Wallace (from the Four Just Men series).
In the past two weeks I have breezed through several short novels - A Study in Scarlet and Sign of the Four by Arthur Conan Doyle, Princess of Mars by ERB and Michael Moorcock's Knight of the Swords. I just began reading James Clavell's Gai Jin with a page count three times greater than the previous four put together. I won't breeze through this one!
I finished the Good Omens audio. My current audio is Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Bwa ha ha ha!
I'm reading "Live From New York" about SNL. It is pretty interesting. I finally finished the LOTR series which was excellent, so I got the "Histories of Middle Earth" for Christmas. I think I need to read "The Silmarillion" first, though.
You'd think Saturday Night Live would appear on TV here, but it doesn't for whatever reason: at least, on free-to-air TV.

I've just finished The Great Tontine by Hawley Smart, from the collection The Penguin Book of Victorian Villainies. I found this slow.

I've also recently read A Sense of Reality, a collection of four stories by Graham Greene, and my first play for the year, Goat Song (Bocksgesang) by Franz Werfel, 1921. (Trans. Ruth Langner: in An Anthology of Austrian Drama, ed.Douglas A. Russell).
Just finished Michael Grant's The Founders of the Western World and have moved on to his A Social History of Greece and Rome.
I've just finished listening to the LibriVox version of The Blonde Lady, by Maurice Leblanc (trans. Alexander Teixeira de Mattos). This is a translation of the second book from the Arsène Lupin series, in which Lupin matches wits against a Holmesian detective: the original title was Arsène Lupin contre Herlock Sholmes.
After reading American Gods, which was great,(but I will never look at Rock City the same from now on) I decided i wanted something lighter. I was in Dollar General the other day and I had no intention of buying any books. Naturally I bought two. They were both from the Hardcase Crime series, The Colorado Kid by Stephen King, and The Gutter And The Grave by Ed McBain. The Colorado Kid is a mystery with no solution. Some people might not like that but I did. I will finish The McBain book today and then I will read The Anansi Boys, another one by that Gaimen guy. On tape I am listening to His Excellency George Washington by Joseph J. Ellis.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service