Just bringing this discussion over to ning...

What books are you reading right now that don't have a narrative driven by images as well as words?

Views: 10060

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I finished The Nero Wolfe Cookbook. If anyone needs  recipe for opossum let me know. Current book: Tales From Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffet.

I finished the book L.A. Requiem by Robert Crais recently. Man, what a great crime novel. Elvis Cole and Joe Pike are very cool characters. Both maybe perfect physically both have their other flaws. Also, Crais use foreshadowing to great effect.

Now I am reading The Decline and Fall of Practically Everybody by Will Cuppy. Originally published back in 1950 this is a history book with a whimsical slant. Some of it is funny, some of it isn't. I guess humor doesn't always survive 65 years. Still very interesting.

I started reading Neal Gaiman's new book Trigger Warning this week. It's a collection of short pieces--like a couple of his previous books--so it's quite a mix. Very enjoyable so far, although I still haven't warmed up to his poetry.

Just finished Swastika Nation - Fritz Kuhn and the Rise and Fall of the German-American Bund, by Arnie Bernstein. It's an interesting look at the history of the Bundists and the people that opposed them, including Fiorello LaGuardia, Walter Winchell, Meyer Lansky, Mickey Cohen, Thomas Dewey, the Warner Brothers, and even a young fellow by the name of Jacob Rubinstein, who later changed his name to "Jack Ruby".  It even has a local (for me) angle, as some of the action took place here on the Island, over Riverhead way.  Definitely worth a look.

Get Real by Donald E. Westlake.

Recently read Emma, by Jane Austen. currently reading The Leopard, by Giuseppe di Lampedusa.

I'm reading Andy Weir's The Martian, which I got interested in because of the interviews with him I heard when it was published commercially. It's a really good old-school hard sci-fi novel. So much so that occasionally as he's describing the science behind something I sort of say, "I'm not an engineer - stipulated" and skim through it. Very enjoyable read so far (I'm about halfway through).

Yesterday I finished listening to the Librivox version of The Bat by Mary Roberts Rinehart and Avery Hopwood. This is a novelisation of a hit mystery play from 1920 which has also been filmed three times. The 1959 version starred Agnes Moorehead and Vincent Price. It's in the public domain and can be found online. That version does depart from the original story but has the same basic plot. (The best scene in the movie, the discussion and murder at the hunting lodge, is original to it.)

The movie versions of The Cat and the Canary go back to a similar 1922 play by John Willard. Both plays were first filmed as silents and remade in 1930 as sound films. Willard's story was retitled The Cat Creeps, and the Rinehart's and Hopwood's The Bat Whispers. Clearly, that's not a coincidence. I think it shows the tales were seen as similar at the time. The interesting thing is the films were distributed by different studios, Universal and United Artists, and released within a few days of each other.

The Cat Creeps is a lost film, but clips survive in an (unfunny) 1932 short called Boo! My hat tip to Wikipedia for this information.

The Baron said:

Recently read Emma, by Jane Austen. currently reading The Leopard, by Giuseppe di Lampedusa.

Finished The Leopard (an excellent book, by the way), now reading Ways of Forgetting, Ways of Remembering: Japan in the Modern World, by John W.Dower.

When I got home today, my mail hold contained something I had pre-ordered a long time ago--Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman. For those who don't know, this is the twenty-years-later (and about 50 years in real time) tale of Scout Finch, the POV character in To Kill a Mockingbird. I really wanted to start it in earnest today, but I fell asleep about three pages in. But it's what I will be reading tomorrow for sure.

Now reading:  The Monk, by Matthew Lewis

Just read The Moonstone, by Wilkie Collins. Next up:  The Woman in White, by Wilkie Collins

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service