Just bringing this discussion over to ning...

What books are you reading right now that don't have a narrative driven by images as well as words?

Views: 10007

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Three Stations by Martin Cruz Smith. It is the eminently readable seventh novel starring Russian detective Arkady Renko. Gorky Park was the first.

What did you think?  I've always intended to read some Wilkie Collins ... one of these days.

The Baron said:

Just read The Moonstone, by Wilkie Collins. Next up:  The Woman in White, by Wilkie Collins

For me I am reading Odds On by Michael Crichton under an assumed name. Pretty good so far

Lost Boy, Lost Girl by Peter Straub. It won the Bram Stoker Award from the Horror Writers Association. His novelist character, Tim Underhill, has figured prominently in several novels of recent vintage. Straub's novel Ghost Story remains a favorite of mine. If someone only saw the movie version, the book is head-and-shoulders above it. Not ghosts, shape-shifters!

I'm still working my way through Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon, which is definitely historical fiction rather than science fiction. It reminds me of both Underworld (which I've read fairly recently) and Gravity's Rainbow (if memory serves). It's terrific, so much so that I don't mind the length at all. I expect to be sorry when it's over.

I've just started another Modesty Blaise novel and I was reading Adam Fergusson's When Money Dies and should really get back to it. It's a history of the German hyperinflation of the 1920s.

I loved Ghost Story, too, and Shadowlands, as well. And I really liked Lost Boy, Lost Girl. I found the end really haunting, I recall (although I can't quite remember what it was after all these years).

I'm reading Westmark right now, the first of three fantasy novels by Lloyd Alexander (who wrote my favorite fantasy series of all time, The Chronicles of Prydain.) I don't know why it too me so long to get to these -- it's fantastic!

Richard Willis said:

Lost Boy, Lost Girl by Peter Straub. It won the Bram Stoker Award from the Horror Writers Association. His novelist character, Tim Underhill, has figured prominently in several novels of recent vintage. Straub's novel Ghost Story remains a favorite of mine. If someone only saw the movie version, the book is head-and-shoulders above it. Not ghosts, shape-shifters!

I have had that one for a few years now, but I've never gotten around to reading it. Let me know what you think when you finish

Mark Sullivan (Vertiginous Mod) said:

I'm still working my way through Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon, which is definitely historical fiction rather than science fiction. It reminds me of both Underworld (which I've read fairly recently) and Gravity's Rainbow (if memory serves). It's terrific, so much so that I don't mind the length at all. I expect to be sorry when it's over.

Tess of the D'Urbervilles, by Thomas Hardy.

Dr. Zhivago by Boris Pasternak

Visions In Death by J.D. Robb.

I am reading Game Over by Dave Zirin, about how politics get involved in sports. I kind of thought he would have gone more into the relationship between concussions, the money the NFL brings, and everything else that ties into it, but it focused on a lot of other very valid things instead, such as the Jerry Sandusky scandal and various lockouts.

It did lead me to ordering the book League of Denial, which is all about NFL concussions.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service