Just bringing this discussion over to ning...

What books are you reading right now that don't have a narrative driven by images as well as words?

Views: 10699

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just finished G. Willow Wilson's Alif the Unseen. Loved it, and here's my Goodreads review: 

For once, a book club selection I made! I've been meaning to get to this for awhile. It's a fascinating combination of cyberpunk, fantasy, and a little romance. Set in an unnamed Middle Eastern security state, it tells the story of hacker Alif's resistance efforts. When the state identifies him he must go on the run, with the help of djinn he has met. In the end he foments an Arab Spring-like revolt (which Wilson imagined before it actually happened). Puts a wonderfully human face on Islam in the process, and the djinn are convincingly portrayed as not quite human.

Recently Re-Read In Praise of  Shadows, by Junichiro Tanizaki

Currently Re-Reading Naomi, by Junichiro Tanizaki

The Baron said:

Currently Re-Reading Quicksand, by Junichiro Tanizaki

The Baron said:

Currently Re-Reading The Key and Diary of a Mad Old Man, by Junichiro Tanizaki

The Baron said:

Currently Re-Reading:

The Makioka Sisters, by Junichiro Tanizaki

The Baron said:

Currently Re-Reading:

The Reed Cutter and Captain Shigemoto's Mother, by Junichiro Tanizaki

Today's Dallas Morning News!

Recently I read:

The Moon if a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein. The first book of his I've read and I liked it. It is the story of the Moon looking for independence from the Earth. The Moon is the supplier of most if not all of the grain, and is also a penal colony. One of the things that amused me is that technology is so advanced, yet all of the phones are still corded.

Continuing reading famous writer's I've never read anything from, I also read Ian Fleming's The Man With the Golden Gun. That's right I've never read a James Bond novel either. Bond has been brainwashed to kill M, he is stopped of course. After being deprogrammed he is given the task of killing assassin Scaramanga in the Caribbean. M figuring he will get the real James Bond back, or he will be killed and they won't have to worry about him. Once in Jamaica, Bond undercover, becomes Scaramanga's security at a hotel that is being built. Scaramange is in business with various crime syndicates and the KGB to finish the hotel as well as run prostitutes and drugs into the US. Bond has to stop them of course. This was a really good, tight paced story.

Right now I'm ready The Fall-Down Artist by Thomas Lipinski. Looking at the seldom viewed world of the insurance fraud investigator.  It takes place in the Pittsburgh area, I'm guessing very late 70s maybe early 80s. Carroll Dorsey is the investigator who has seemed to have discovered a fraud ring. It involves a union, a lawyer, and a priest. Which sounds like the start of a joke. Its pretty good so far.

If you haven't already done so, check out the Heinlein Wikipedia Page. It talks about the themes of his many books and might give you an idea of what to read next.

A good James Bond book would be Moonraker, which has no relationship to the movie of the same name. The ending was a shocking surprise to me.

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

Recently I read:

The Moon if a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein. The first book of his I've read and I liked it. It is the story of the Moon looking for independence from the Earth. The Moon is the supplier of most if not all of the grain, and is also a penal colony. One of the things that amused me is that technology is so advanced, yet all of the phones are still corded.

Continuing reading famous writer's I've never read anything from, I also read Ian Fleming's The Man With the Golden Gun. That's right I've never read a James Bond novel either. Bond has been brainwashed to kill M, he is stopped of course. After being deprogrammed he is given the task of killing assassin Scaramanga in the Caribbean. M figuring he will get the real James Bond back, or he will be killed and they won't have to worry about him. Once in Jamaica, Bond undercover, becomes Scaramanga's security at a hotel that is being built. Scaramange is in business with various crime syndicates and the KGB to finish the hotel as well as run prostitutes and drugs into the US. Bond has to stop them of course. This was a really good, tight paced story.

Right now I'm ready The Fall-Down Artist by Thomas Lipinski. Looking at the seldom viewed world of the insurance fraud investigator.  It takes place in the Pittsburgh area, I'm guessing very late 70s maybe early 80s. Carroll Dorsey is the investigator who has seemed to have discovered a fraud ring. It involves a union, a lawyer, and a priest. Which sounds like the start of a joke. Its pretty good so far.

Cool, thanks for the info Richard, on Heinlein and Bond.

Now re-reading The Secret History of the Lord of Musashi and Arrowroot, by Junichiro Tanizaki

The Baron said:

The Baron said:

The Baron said:

The Baron said:

Currently Re-Reading:

The Baron said:

Currently Re-Reading:

Recently read So I'm a Spider, So What?, vol. 10, by Okina Baba

Now reading Owarimonogatari - End Tale Part 03, by Nisioisin

The Baron said:

Now re-reading The Secret History of the Lord of Musashi and Arrowroot, by Junichiro Tanizaki

The Baron said:

The Baron said:

The Baron said:

The Baron said:

Currently Re-Reading:

The Baron said:

Currently Re-Reading:

Currently reading How Soon is Now? by Richard King. A book about the independent labels that sprouted in the 70s and on. I'm barely into it..

I've also wanted to re-read Elmore Leonard's short story Three-Ten To Yuma for a while now. I finally found it the crime anthology that I had it in, and read it again a few nights ago. Still really good.

Now re-reading The Gourmet Club, by Junichiro Tanizaki

The Baron said:

Recently read So I'm a Spider, So What?, vol. 10, by Okina Baba

Now reading Owarimonogatari - End Tale Part 03, by Nisioisin

The Baron said:

The Baron said:

The Baron said:

The Baron said:

The Baron said:

Currently Re-Reading:

The Baron said:

Currently Re-Reading:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service