Just bringing this discussion over to ning...

What books are you reading right now that don't have a narrative driven by images as well as words?

Views: 10007

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In the past week I have read Rick Riordan's The Lightning Thief (Book 1 of the Percy Jackson series). Great book, just the thing for Potter and Greek Myth fans.

I also just finished Extras the 4th book of the Uglies series (originally a trilogy)... I thought it was a very enjoyable coda.

Next up, I have Peeps also by Scott Westerfeld and The Lovely Bones, sitting on bedside table as well as the Percy Jackson sequels...might have to make some time to read some comics again sometime.
Ana Canino-Fluit (Anacoqui) said:
In the past week I have read Rick Riordan's The Lightning Thief (Book 1 of the Percy Jackson series). Great book, just the thing for Potter and Greek Myth fans.

That's coming out as a movie soon, isn't it?
Doctor Hmmm? said:
The Baron said:
The Baron said:
Finally finished the Heimskringla. And now, for something completely different...The Stranger, by Albert Camus. This choice was also inspired by Masterpiece Comics.

Well, that was a quick read.

It's much harder in the original Klingon.

Next up is American on Purpose, by Craig Ferguson, in the original Scots/American gibberish.
I didn't remember,so I just looked it up and you are right. Looks to come out next year. I am just reading them as part of my YA reading project.

here is a link to the trailer: http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3202220569/" target="_blank">http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3202220569/

Looks like they made Percy a bit older than 12.

Alan M. said:

That's coming out as a movie soon, isn't it?
ooh, that looks like a good book. All the interviews he has been giving about it has been great.

The Baron said:
Doctor Hmmm? said:
The Baron said:
The Baron said:
Finally finished the Heimskringla. And now, for something completely different...The Stranger, by Albert Camus. This choice was also inspired by Masterpiece Comics.

Next up is American on Purpose, by Craig Ferguson, in the original Scots/American gibberish.
ooh, that looks like a good book. All the interviews he has been giving about it has been great.

The Baron said:
Doctor Hmmm? said:
The Baron said:
The Baron said:

So far, I'm finding it quite enjoyable.
It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over, edited by Steve Goldman. The book covers an assortment of baseball's pennant races. The years covered are:
1967 American League
1959 National League
1948 and 1949 American League
1908 National League
1964 National League
2003 National League Central
1972 American League East
1973 National League East
1974 American League East
1951 National League
1984 American League West
1934 National League
1944 American League
I just finished Bill Willingham's Fables novel Peter & Max. Which counts, although it has some illustrations and a short bonus comic story at the end (sort of an epilogue to the formal Epilogue). And I started Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale, which has been on my "To Read" list forever. I knew something of what it's about, but it's really creepy.
Mark Sullivan said:
I just finished Bill Willingham's Fables novel Peter & Max. Which counts, although it has some illustrations and a short bonus comic story at the end (sort of an epilogue to the formal Epilogue). And I started Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale, which has been on my "To Read" list forever. I knew something of what it's about, but it's really creepy.

I've seen the film, if that counts. It's really good. With Robert Duvall.

Its a thought-provoking premise.
Just finished reading The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, by E. Lockhart

A great book. Loved it. Read it in one afternoon. Secret societies...awakening ambition and one sophmore fifteen year old girl.

If it does or hasn't won award it is a injustice.
I've just finished 4.50 From Paddington, Agatha Christie. When I was in high school another of the kids was reading this one and the blurb made me want to know what happened. So I recently took the opportunity to finally find out. It's one of Christie's Miss Marple books.

Doctor Hmmm? said:
"A Princess of Mars." Every once in awhile, I feel like going on a Burroughs binge.

I'm fond of Burroughs too, although it's a while since I read him.
I'm actually only reading one book at the moment and am between audio books. That one book is Doctor Who: Scream of the Shalka, an adaption by Paul Cornell of the out-of-continuity animated story. And while it is not a book, I am working my way through the magazine-format Oregon 150, celebrating Oregon's 150th anniversary as a state. (I'd write Oregon's sequecentenial but I can't spell sequecentenial correctly. See what I mean?)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service