I'll continue to follow 10 titles after sampling many this past month.  My list:

Batman

Batman & Robin (sue me...I like Damian as a foil for Bruce)

Batwoman

Batgirl

Wonder Woman

Aquaman (my favorite #1 of the bunch)

The Flash

Justice League

Swamp Thing

Demon Knights

I like Grant Morrison, but...I'm 41...I don't need to read yet another version of Superman's early life, especially when it's been done better in Tom DeHaven's novel from a few years ago. 

Views: 479

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

DC's selling out an an individual store's selling out are 2 different things. I have sold out of only 17 of the 52 comics, but there are stores in town that have sold out of nearly the entire line.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! Comics and Games for Everyone!

I used to listen to WOXY.com; It was the future of rock-n-roll! RIP WOXY

Okay, now that I've read my week 4 books I am ready to give a more serious answer, this really my rankings of what I read.

The cream of the crop:

All-Star Western

Batman

and I can't believe I am typing this: Wonder Woman.

Best of the rest:

Batman & Robin

Resurrection Man

Legion of Super-heroes

Completely average:

Action Comics - I didn't preorder this, but my LCS had a copy when I went in last weekend and I wanted to check it out. Nothing special.

Legion Lost

The Flash

Red Lanterns

Just hanging on:

Men of War

Got to read a few more #1s while I was killing time at Barnes & Noble this morning:

The Flash — I found this really enjoyable, actually. It's probably because my expectations were pretty low, though. :) I might give issue two a try...

Aquaman — A lot of people have been saying this was really good, but it didn't grab me at all. I don't like the depiction of him as being perceived as a joke within the DCU; it felt too metatextual to me. Of course, for me, a lot of the reader-perception issues about Aquaman that Johns seems to be setting up to address were already addressed years ago in Peter David's run on the title, and in a lot less of an on-the-nose manner, so it feels like beating a dead seahorse to me.

Teen Titans — I actually found the premise kind of interesting, but none of the Titans' new characterizations appealed to me.

And then I started reading Green Lantern Corps, but had to stop about halfway through when Jen came to pick me up. What I read of it was pretty "meh", though I liked seeing Guy Gardner and John Stewart trying to get jobs...

I haven't read Aquaman, but Ty Templeton has an enjoyable take on it here.

This being a Geoff Johns comic, I'm expecting a later issue to feature some 60's goofball supervillain turned psychotic dark age refrigerator-stuffer, who tells Aquaman:

"That fish and chips you had in issue one?  I hope you liked the taste of your old friend PETER THE PUFFER FISH!  YOU ATE HIM*!  Bwa-hah-hah-hah!"

*I had to add the "YOU ATE HIM!" bit, because, you know, Johns...
Oh, wow, totally different opinions. I love all those books! Well, Red Lanterns isn't exactly moving quickly, but that's about the only one. Hard to believe you didn't care for Action or Flash more than you did. This was the first issue of Flash that I've liked in a long time, and the first issue of Action that I've liked that featured Superman. (I loved the Lex Luthor stuff...)

Travis Herrick said:

Completely average:

Action Comics - I didn't preorder this, but my LCS had a copy when I went in last weekend and I wanted to check it out. Nothing special.

Legion Lost

The Flash

Red Lanterns

Jeff, I actually liked The Flash better than I thought I would, honestly. I had the bar set pretty low there, and if I remember to pick it up I will. There wasn't enough going on in Red Lanterns to bump it up beyond average. As for Action Comics, I believe if someone's name besides Grant Morrison was on there it wouldn't have gotten nearly the acclaim. 

JeffCarter said:
Oh, wow, totally different opinions. I love all those books! Well, Red Lanterns isn't exactly moving quickly, but that's about the only one. Hard to believe you didn't care for Action or Flash more than you did. This was the first issue of Flash that I've liked in a long time, and the first issue of Action that I've liked that featured Superman. (I loved the Lex Luthor stuff...)

Travis Herrick said:

Completely average:

Legion Lost

The Flash

Red Lanterns

Figserello said:
I haven't read Aquaman, but Ty Templeton has an enjoyable take on it here.

That seems about right.

A bit more reads:
Green Lantern Corps, finishing what I started yesterday — I liked it better before they left Earth.

Green Lantern: New Guardians — Still underwhelmed by the rainbow lanterns.

Batman: The Dark Knight — This was not...good. At one point, Bruce Wayne says something like, "That's what we in the states call 'Overbunting his cover'" or something like that. And maybe I'm just out of touch, but I have never heard that phrase ever. Also, am I misremembering, or is this the third Batman book (after Batman and Detective) to have an Arkham riot in the first issue? And two of them, IIRC, involved Two-Face to some degree... :-/

Red Lanterns — I did not understand what was going on in this book, and not in a fun, intriguing way...

Suffice it to say, I'm not coming back for issue two of any of these.

Alan M. said:

Batman: The Dark Knight — This was not...good. At one point, Bruce Wayne says something like, "That's what we in the states call 'Overbunting his cover'" or something like that. And maybe I'm just out of touch, but I have never heard that phrase ever. Also, am I misremembering, or is this the third Batman book (after Batman and Detective) to have an Arkham riot in the first issue? And two of them, IIRC, involved Two-Face to some degree... :-/

I firmly believe Arkham Asylum has become a crutch for the lazy writer, and should be done away with.
Good to hear you're still giving it a go! I'm a huge fan of Manapul's artwork and I'm growing to really like his design work. I love that he's now free to fully embrace his design sense. He's really pretty amazing, and his Barry is much more fun than Geoff Johns's.

Travis Herrick said:
Jeff, I actually liked The Flash better than I thought I would, honestly. I had the bar set pretty low there, and if I remember to pick it up I will. There wasn't enough going on in Red Lanterns to bump it up beyond average. As for Action Comics, I believe if someone's name besides Grant Morrison was on there it wouldn't have gotten nearly the acclaim.  
Aquaman again.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service