I've not been watching the DCEU movies. They don't look good, they haven't had good reviews, etc. This includes Wonder Woman., which has gotten good reviews, and maybe I'll see it someday, but I'm in no hurry. 

Now, as I've always been led to understand, Diana is nearly as strong as Superman, nearly as fast as the Flash, she can fly, she's got the lasso of truth and the invisible plane, etc. She's one of the major power players.

So why does she need a sword and a shield all of a sudden? Doesn't she have the raw power to deal with pretty much whatever comes along with her bare hands? Doesn't it weaken her as a character to give her weapons? Who's great idea was this?

I would love an explanation of how this "improves" the character.

Views: 201

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In the Justice League movie there is a scene in which she is hit in the back of the head with a rifle butt. It is like she had been caressed with butterfly wings. She noticed just enough to turn and look in that direction.

Randy Jackson said:

The issue I have with the sword and shield is at I feel it weakens Wonder Woman as a character. It's like saying "I'm not powerful enough on my own, but give me a weapon and a way to block attacks and I'm just as good as anyone" when she's supposed to be able to handle pretty much anything that comes her way. I could perhaps see her pulling them out for some special reason, but otherwise I think carrying them just makes her look weaker than she is.

I really don't get your logic here. I know Shang-Chi once said "Weapons are for the weak," so if that's where you're coming from ... 

... I still don't see how Wonder Woman having a sword and shield says she can't handle what comes her way.

Superman doesn't need to carry a sword and a shield.

Just sayin'...

Yeah, and -- ? He did have a Supermobile.

This is exactly what I mean. 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Superman doesn't need to carry a sword and a shield.

Just sayin'...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service