Spam Message

I just got an email purporting to come from an Andrew Smith, with a link to a webpage which I didn't click on. The message says it was sent from an iPhone. I don't get much spam, and the name made me think of this board. I thought I should post about this in case a malicious party has gotten access to the board's email list.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I got it, too.

• I didn't get it. Possibly it's related to his AOL address.

• I didn't get one, either. Seems to have been selective.

• I didn't get it. Please, follow up if you can.

• The message wasn't sent through the board, so the emailer may have gotten Pete's and my addresses from some other source (say, the maker of software we both use). The name could be a coincidence, a compound of two common names that's supposed to make people think they know the sender. The personalised part of the email's return address was "fatherjad", which means nothing to me, and the URL in the message was a meaningless collection of letters. I don't know of a way of following it up. I've already deleted the message.

• I checked my spam folder and sure enough, it was in there. 

There was a link to suzuki website and a couple of email addresses. One being a captain comics aol address and the other coming from something called rossi.com.

• I got it on an older email address that I haven't used on the ning site.

• Someone posted the following to the "comments" section of Tracy's page:

At 3:25am on January 2, 2018,

Tidiane Ndiaye said…

Good Day,

How is everything with you, I picked interest on you after going through your short profile and deemed it necessary to write you immediately. I have something very vital to disclose to you, but I found it difficult to express myself here, since it's a public site.Could you please get back to me on:(tidinanenadiay@gmail.com) for the full details.

Have a nice day

Thanks God bless.

Tidiane.

EDIT: (I got one, too.)

• I just got this one, too. 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Someone posted the following to the "comments" section of Tracy's page:

At 3:25am on January 2, 2018,

Tidiane Ndiaye said…

Good Day,

How is everything with you, I picked interest on you after going through your short profile and deemed it necessary to write you immediately. I have something very vital to disclose to you, but I found it difficult to express myself here, since it's a public site.Could you please get back to me on:(tidinanenadiay@gmail.com) for the full details.

Have a nice day

Thanks God bless.

Tidiane.

EDIT: (I got one, too.)

• Hi folks,

I apologize to all of you.  I am the one who approved Tidiane Ndiaye a few days ago.  I wasn't as vigilant as I should have been, and I'm sorry you were spammed as a result.  For Tidiane, the IP location matched what was listed as the home city and country of Lome, Togo.  They answered the five favorite comics characters question with "I am Tidiane Ndiaye" and all I can say is that in a moment of weakness I thought that perhaps something was lost in translation.  Lesson learned here.  Sorry again for the inconvenience.

This reply was deleted.