I said the other day how much I loved this movie, but I didn't really go into it. Saw it for the second time today, so I'm going to go into it now. Here is a bunch of what I loved about it:

• First and foremost, Miles Morales had a personality for the first time! In Bendis's run, he was completely devoid of personality, was too perfect, and gave us no emotional attachment. This Miles wasn't cocky at all, but he had a little bit of swagger. He was also a bit naive, and you felt it when he was going through the training process.
  • Peter Parker was awesome. He was adept, just a bit out of shape, but still good at what he does. His relationship with Miles was pitch-perfect. Tired, but willing to help him out and it didn't take him long to get right into it.
  • I LOVE the animation! They made the movie into a comic book in every good possible way. The thought boxes, thought balloons, the occasional sound affects. I liked the way they broke the screen into a few panels, and they didn't overuse it.
  • They used all of the comic book and movie histories, including comic creators' names on the covers of the comics.
  • The Peter Parker of Miles Morales's home dimension was quite possibly actually his clone, Ben Reilly.
  • The Kingpin flashbacks where the stills and the animation looked like it was drawn by Bill Seinkeiwicz was so so so well done.
  • The animation occasionally went from computer animation to looking hand-drawn. Almost all of the movie had dot patterns. Sometimes it ranged from very subtle to looking like it was done by Roy Lichtenstein.
  • This did things that could not have been done with live-action (the hyperkinetic movement of the characters) and that couldn't work in a comic book (well, the same hyperkinetic movement).
  • The music was perfect for a movie about teenagers.

There was really nothing I didn't like about this movie, but I'm sure I've missed some of the things I loved about it. Has anyone else seen it?

Views: 151

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So glad you love it. It was definitely the best time I had at a movie last year. I could not find a single thing wrong with it, not that I wanted to. 

We saw it a couple of weeks ago on DVD. I'm in total agreement. Nice to see a movie like this win an Oscar, a Golden Globe and a BAFTA award for best animated feature!

If it’s not the best superhero movie ever made, it is definitely the best COMIC BOOK movie ever made.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service