Replies

• To which I say: Thank God. Sony's plans for Spidey were gawdawful. A Sinister Six movie? A Venom movie? An Aunt May movie? Argh!

Credit to Legionnaire RICHARD WILLIS for first alerting me to this, and wanting to give me the chance to post it myself. I had to go to work first, and then J.D. beat me to it, but thanks, Richard! *Salute*

Meanwhile, since J.D. gives us the Hollywood Reporter story above, HERE'S THE VARIETY story and HERE'S THE ICV2.COM story.

• From reading the three articles I came to some conclusions (am I right?):

1) Sony is NOT giving up control of Spider-Man. Movies involving him will be joint efforts between Sony and Marvel. They seem to have conceded the point that Marvel has a better creative handle on the character so they are likely to give Marvel Studios' opinions the most weight.

2) Andrew Garfield won't return as Peter.

3) The Sinister Six movie is off the table. I'm don't think I'd want them to even try a Spider-Man movie using the Sinister Six. One, at most two, bad guys seems to work better in superhero movies.

4) Spider-Man will probably appear in Captain America: Civil War.

• My reading of the news is in alignment with yours, Richard, except for No. 1. They were pretty fuzzy about how the partnership would work. I think we'd all prefer that Marvel control their flagship character, but Sony seems to hold all the cards.

• They could do a Spider-Verse story just using the movie Spideys!

• I'm fine with Garfield not being Spidey, I never cared for him myself. Hopefully, we get rid of the basketball headed costume as well.

• Captain Comics said:

My reading of the news is in alignment with yours, Richard, except for No. 1. They were pretty fuzzy about how the partnership would work. I think we'd all prefer that Marvel control their flagship character, but Sony seems to hold all the cards.

Well, yeah -- the Variety story points out that Marvel sold Sony the rights to Spider-Man for $7 million in 1999. Clearly, Sony isn't selling those rights back -- certainly not for $7 million, and certainly not for any amount (somewhere in the billions of dollars, I would expect) Disney would be willing to pay.

• Sad sad sad face.

Richard Willis said:

2) Andrew Garfield won't return as Peter.

• I do predict that they will whip up some kind of fly-through appearance for Avengers 2.

• I wholeheartedly agree with this assessment from Vulture.com: "No More Spider-Man Origin Movies, Please"

• That was my fifth conclusion, which slipped my mind: They won't be going over his origin again.

ClarkKent_DC said:

I wholeheartedly agree with this assessment from Vulture.com: "No More Spider-Man Origin Movies, Please"

This reply was deleted.