Replies

• Okay, I loved this movie. Loved it.

As the proprietor of my LCS said yesterday, one thing you have to get past is the fact that this isn't really a comic book movie. Where Avengers is pretty much comic books thrown on the screen, this Batman trilogy was pretty much action movie stuff that happened to have Batman in it. Not that I'm complaining at all.

A few bullet point observations:

• The guys I went with assumed that Jonathan Crane's role in the People's Court was probably written with the Joker in mind. And HOW AWESOME would that have been?!?
    • I thought at the end where Alfred goes in and sits at that table at the restaurant, he should have just looked up and smiled without them having to show Bruce and Selina. But that's a little nitpicky.
    • I loved Catwoman. Her outfit, her character, and even the fact that they included her roommate.

What did you think, my already-spoiled Bat-chums?

• Best...Catwoman...ever.  I was waiting for Selina's friend to be called Holly, just once, but that's OK.  I like that Nolan implied that Selina, too, was a poor rich girl...I think the apartment with the broken photo of the family was meant to be her parents'.  

I predicted the happy ending after Alfred's story about the cafe, but I did not see the gender switch of the "child who escaped" even though it was kinda staring us in the face and we all kinda knew that Miranda was Talia.  

You're right about Avengers being the ultimate, in a good way, comic book film and this one being a great Batman trilogy that goes beyond comics.  Batman, for many reasons, seems to be the one classic super hero who can break out of the bonds of just pop culture.  He did it in Miller's Dark Knight, bringing comics into bookstores and literary criticism, and he did it here with "comic book" films.  I think that Batman, more than any character in fiction, shows the bright and dark of America...he's a litmus test for all of us.

• Saw the movie today and liked it a lot.
    The thing about these Batman movies is that the acting is always terrific.
    I really liked Joseph Gordon-Levitt in this. In some ways this was his movie.
    Loved the ending, it was a great way to end the series.
    I'm with Jeff that it would have been cool if it just had Alfred smile and nod but I can't take weeks of debate of if Bruce had survived. I'm glad they settled it for us.
    I got chills when Gordon realized that Bruce was Batman.
    Glad they had scarecrow show up. For small roles in the last two films, Cillian Murphy nails that character.
    Anne Hathaway was great. I think she is a good actress but I just didn't like the idea of her as catwoman prior to seeing the film. That was soon laid to rest.
    Of all the bat vehicles the motorcycle is my favorite.
  • Oh, man, you're not kidding! Those flipping wheels are so awesome. I'd love to ride that sucker.

Jason Marconnet said:

Of all the bat vehicles the motorcycle is my favorite.
  • Yes, those wheels were truly great...!

Andy

• Finally saw it -- and man, I really loved it. 

I think actually seeing Bruce at the end was important -- not so much to signal that he's alive, but to show the (distant) reconciliation with Alfred. I don't think you could have done that effectively without seeing Bruce at that table.

The Joker atop that pile of desks would have been awesome -- but it would have made the film SO different as soon as he showed up. I was glad to see Crane. In that situation, Fear rules more than Madness.

• I was thinking they'd do something with the Holly character.... but didn't.

I don't think Alfred could possibly have kept that straight a face and NOT reacted when seeing Master Wayne, after that great emotional outpouring at the gravesite.  It would have been alright with me if he had just charged over, and Wayne had said, "I thought you said you weren't going to say anything..."   But I'm alright that he nods.  I think he would have registered shock.

And possibly have wiped his eyes...allowing Bruce enough time to do one of those "vanishing acts"...only to be picked up again as he walked out with his lovely escourt, looks back over his shoulder and smiles at Alfred.

• I think it was important to see who Bruce was with, as well.

• Was it just me, or did Tom Hardy sound like he was doing a bad Patrick Stewart impression for all his Bane lines? (I really didn't like the way they mixed the audio for his dialogue, either; didn't sound diegetic* at all...)

That criticism aside, I loved this film; it was a very elegant way to wrap up the series. Critics point out it's a weaker movie than The Dark Knight, and that may be, but as someone who finds The Dark Knight almost un-rewatchable because it's so emotionally tense, I don't necessarily mind that weakness.

* – I just learned this word a few weeks ago, and am quite impressed that there's a context in which I can use it...

Doc Beechler (mod-MD) said:

Best...Catwoman...ever.  I was waiting for Selina's friend to be called Holly, just once, but that's OK.

According to IMDB, her name was Jen, but I don't remember that being said in-movie, and I forgot to watch the credits to see if she was named, so to me, she remains Holly.

• Probably so. A friend of mine also said that Christopher Nolan probably wanted this one to have a more definite ending after Inception's final scene left audiences up in the air.

Still, though, I stand by my claim. Luckily it wasn't a deal-breaker for me by a long shot. The whole ending was beautiful.

Doc Beechler (mod-MD) said:

I think it was important to see who Bruce was with, as well.

This reply was deleted.