From The Hollywood Reporter: "Stan Lee, Marvel Comics' Real-Life Superhero, Dies at 95"

Stan Lee, the legendary writer, editor and publisher of Marvel Comics whose fantabulous but flawed creations made him a real-life superhero to comic book lovers everywhere, has died. He was 95. 

Lee, who began in the business in 1939 and created or co-created Black Panther, Spider-Man, the X-Men, the Mighty Thor, Iron Man, the Fantastic Four, the Incredible Hulk, Daredevil and Ant-Man, among countless other characters, died early Monday morning at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, a source told The Hollywood Reporter.

Views: 418

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Stan got the whole front page of the New York Daily News with mentions on the covers of the New York Post and Newsday with editorials in both!

All the TV news shows have talked about him. 

...Can you link to the NEWS's front page, please, Philip? I think they have a separate corner for all their front pages of the year,vday by day. If you could...

I've decided to honor Stan (in my own way) by re-reading the Stan Lee Meets... series of one-shots. I've also been listening to Rock Reflections of a Super-Hero.

Although I didn't start collecting comics regularly (as in getting several titles regularly every month, or nearly so) until 1973, I came to love Marvel Comics when I was six years old in 1968 and quickly came to associate Stan Lee with the company, through those credit boxes, as either writer or editor, and in those Soap Box editorials/sales pitches.  IMO, his last classic storyline was the Green Goblin/Harry flips out on drugs yarn in ASM #96-98, of which I got the concluding issue when it was new on the racks.  Some of those last Spider-Man and Fantastic Four stories weren't all that great, retreads of earlier classics, but then those classics still hold up very well.  He helped create many great characters and entertaining stories and became an international celebrity for it.  Lee had a pretty good run.

Spotted a digital billboard along I-96 in Novi, Michigan that sported a stylized web over a red background with "Stan Lee 1922 - 2018" written along the bottom.

A comprehensive article on Stan with a lot of detail and very accurate.

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-stan-lee-11122018-sto...

I wrote a double-length column this week on Stan. I hope the LAT article doesn't put me in the shade!

HERE IT IS.

...Thank you Phillip (belatedly). Where is the NEWS's every front page this year feature.

Does that cameos list include the many, IIRC, cameos Stan did in non-Marvel years before the MCU started? And, frankly...will J.C. Lee dig up a lot of sketches and proposals, a la the post-decesed life of Gene Roddenbury and Issac Asimov, say? I saw an item about a " last superhero film " (non-Marvel) she and Stan were working on.

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

Does that cameos list include the many, IIRC, cameos Stan did in non-Marvel years before the MCU started?

If you mean the YouTube cameos video, I just watched it. It starts with the Lou Ferrigno Hulk TV show, covers all of Stan's cameos in animation, Marvel films, Sony Films and Fox films, ending with Thor: Ragnarok. Not completely up to date, but comprehensive up to that point.

Your column was terrific. The Times article states the facts but your column celebrates Stan's heart. As a (slightly bullied) lousy athlete with a dead father, he certainly made me feel part of a large family.

Captain Comics said:

I wrote a double-length column this week on Stan. I hope the LAT article doesn't put me in the shade!

HERE IT IS.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service