From The Hollywood Reporter: "Stan Lee, Marvel Comics' Real-Life Superhero, Dies at 95"

Stan Lee, the legendary writer, editor and publisher of Marvel Comics whose fantabulous but flawed creations made him a real-life superhero to comic book lovers everywhere, has died. He was 95. 

Lee, who began in the business in 1939 and created or co-created Black Panther, Spider-Man, the X-Men, the Mighty Thor, Iron Man, the Fantastic Four, the Incredible Hulk, Daredevil and Ant-Man, among countless other characters, died early Monday morning at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, a source told The Hollywood Reporter.

Views: 418

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow!  Great column, Captain!  I was certainly one of those lonely kids, terrible at sports and very introverted, when I latched onto Marvel Comics in the late '60s -- those mags spoke to me in a way DC comics never did, and Stan had the persona of a wise, kind, understanding uncle who also had a great sense of humor, and, yes, hated bullies.  And that his characters, for all their powers, had flaws and problems and distinct personalities, certainly helped.  Even Thor had recurring problems with his father and an adopted brother who was, to put it mildly, an absolute jerk.  Thor didn't even need to switch into his mortal identity as Donald Blake to have all-too human problems which couldn't be resolved with a punch to someone's jaw, although, of course, he did have quite a few problems that were resolved that way, or with a few thumps of his hammer.  And for all his genius, Reed Richards could still make major screw ups, inadvertently responsible for transforming his best friend into a freakish thing and later alienating his wife through neglect and often boorish behavior.  Yet, for all their faults, Lee's heroes generally tried to do their best and to learn from their mistakes.  Much more entertaining to read about than heroes who are pretty much always seemingly perfect.

Captain Comics said:

I wrote a double-length column this week on Stan. I hope the LAT article doesn't put me in the shade!

HERE IT IS.

Hey, can y'all put comments about the column on the column thread itself? I've invited some outside people to read it, and "zero comments" is a bad look!

I never had much use for Bill Maher, and here's one more reason why: 

From Vulture: "Bill Maher Blames Trump’s Election On, You Guessed It, the Work of...

If there is sentiment one way, Maher will go the opposite way! Because he still wants to be edg

ClarkKent_DC said:

I never had much use for Bill Maher, and here's one more reason why: 

From Vulture: "Bill Maher Blames Trump’s Election On, You Guessed It, the Work of...

He did indeed; and, the world is a better place for it. I once saw an interview with Stan wherein he admitted to having changed his name to avoid an association with comic books ("in case I ever ended up writing the next great American novel"). I've always wanted to ask him if he had regretted that decision. He was Stan the Man, weather he went by Lee or Liebowitz. Given his impact, his given name couldn't have changed that.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

He changed the world. He taught so many people so many important things... about responsibility, about perseverance, about what it's like to be different. He was a giant, and we won't see his like again.

This weekend I moved on to Marvel Visionaries: Stan Lee and the introductions he recorded for the 1960s cartoons on VHS in the 1990s in my own personal tribute.

Last night Chris Hardwick made a touching statement on The Talking Dead.

I regret the absence of a tribute issue of The Comics Buyer’s Guide or Amazing Heroes or the equivalent.

“I never had much use for Bill Maher, and here's one more reason why…”

What an ass-hat. “Now, how, exactly, it’s Stan Lee’s fault that people liked his comic books so much, their brains stopped developing… is unclear.”

“Unclear”? No $#!t.

Don't know why I didn't think of it sooner, but I'm moving on to this one next:

I picked that one up in the discount aisle at the Barnes & Noble. An interesting read.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Don't know why I didn't think of it sooner, but I'm moving on to this one next:

I forgot to bring it in today to quote it verbatim, but this week's Comic Shop News has an article about select number of December/January Marvel comics sporting a Stan Lee tribute trade dress. I'm curious to see what it will look like.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service