Back when DS9 and Voyager were on the air simultaneously, I remember reading an article in TV Guide which postulated that, in the future, Deep Space Nine would be remembered as the best of the (then) four Star Trek television series. The writer made a compelling argument for his case. I don’t remember his specific reasons, but I can tell you this: I have seen every episode of DS9 once, and once only… with two exceptions: I have seen “Blood Oath” (with the three TOS Klingons) and “Trials & Tribble-ations” multiple times each. Because I am less familiar with DS9 than I am TNG, I will probably spend a bit more time summarizing the episodes than I did with TNG, starting with…

Views: 994

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

FERENGI LOVE SONGS: Quark sabotages his mother’s relationship with the Grand Nagus, only to discover his economic decisions are disastrous without his mother’s advice.

SOLDIERS OF THE EMPIRE: General Martok commands a search and rescue mission for a missing Klingon ship. Worf and Jadzia accompany him. The crew is danger of rebelling, until Worf challenges Martok, then allows Martok to defeat him.

CHILDREN OF TIME: While exploring the Gamma Quadrant, the Defiant is struck by a plasma charge. The crew lands on a planet populated by 8000 of their own descendants. It seems that, when the Defiant takes off, it is fated to be thrown 200 years into the past and stranded there. The accident can be avoided, but all 8000 of the planet’s inhabitants will cease to exist, a real ethical dilemma with an unexpected “out.”

BLAZE OF GLORY: Sisko reluctantly frees Eddington from prison to thwart a Jem’Hadar attack against the Cardassians. Eddington pretend to be reluctant as well, but the whole scheme is a trick to reunite him with his wife. The Jem’Hadar find them, however, and Eddington is killed.

EMPOK NOR: A “base under siege” story as well as a “bottle episode” as O’Brien leads a crew to Terrok Nor’s sister station to scavenge for spare parts. Garak accompanies them to circumvent booby traps intended for non-Cardassians, but they didn’t account for three drugged Cardassian assassins left in stasis on the station. Garak falls victim to the drug which makes the assassins so violent, and he turns on the crew just right after the other Cardassians are defeated.

IN THE CARDS: Jake attempts to barter for Willie Mays’ rookie card as a gift for his father. On this surface, it is similar to a particular episode of M*A*S*H in which a variety of items are bartered, but in this episode, the items and services bartered look, circumstantially, like an assassination plot. The Vorta Weyoun doesn’t buy the truth, so Jake concocts a plot so bizarre that Weyoun is convinced Jake was telling the truth in the first place. It’s not that Jake was being played (by the character accused of orchestrating Weyoun’s assassination); everything was a simple misunderstanding. [SPOILER] And Commander Sisko does get his baseball card in the end!

CALL TO ARMS: The season five finale. Dominion troops have been pouring through the wormhole, massing at Cardassia. Sisko mines the entrance to the Alpha Quadrant. The Dominion and Cardassians attack, and Sisko abandons the station. Kira, Odo and (against Sisko’s wishes) Jake stay behind. The Defiant joins a Fleet of Federation ships preparing for war. There is almost no “B” plot this episode, except Rom marries Leeta.

This is the point at which I started to lose the story when I watched it first run. Expecting the “war” to be wrapped up in an episode or two, I didn’t pay close enough attention early on in season six. Ironically, devoting an entire season to show Starfleet at war was exactly what I had hoped for at the time.

Didn't Sisko leave his baseball behind, and when Dukat found it, he said it was Sisko's way of saying he'd be back.?

Jeff of Earth-J said:

CALL TO ARMS: The season five finale. Dominion troops have been pouring through the wormhole, massing at Cardassia. Sisko mines the entrance to the Alpha Quadrant. The Dominion and Cardassians attack, and Sisko abandons the station. Kira, Odo and (against Sisko’s wishes) Jake stay behind. The Defiant joins a Fleet of Federation ships preparing for war. There is almost no “B” plot this episode, except Rom marries Leeta.

This is the point at which I started to lose the story when I watched it first run. Expecting the “war” to be wrapped up in an episode or two, I didn’t pay close enough attention early on in season six. Ironically, devoting an entire season to show Starfleet at war was exactly what I had hoped for at the time.

"Didn't Sisko leave his baseball behind, and when Dukat found it, he said it was Sisko's way of saying he'd be back.?"

Yes!

SEASON SIX:

A TIME TO STAND: It has been three months since the end of season five, and the war is going badly for Starfleet. Only 14 ships of 112 of the Seventh Fleet survived battle with the Dominion. Admiral Ross sends Sisko and crew on a mission to eliminate a Dominion supply depot in the Jem’Hadar fighter Sisko recovered in season five. They have a skirmish with a Starfleet ship whose communications are down, but they manage to escape. A bomb is beamed into the supply depot, but their ship is trapped when the facility raises its shields. The ship is damaged and stranded behind enemy lines 17 years from home without warp speed.

I didn't stop watching Deep Space Nine; I only stopped posting about it. Last night we watched the lest episode of season six. I am tempted to summarize the season as...

SEASON SIX: "Star Wars"

...because that's the way I remember it, but actually only about half of the season's episode dealt wit the Dominion War directly. I kind of which I had continued to post on an episode-by-episode basis because, the next time i go through it (not for a long, long time), I would like to watch just the war-themed episodes. [SPOILER] When this series first started, I gave the Dax characte (Jadzia Dax, that is) three seasons, four tops, before she was sacrificed to "sweeps week" and the symbiont was transferred to a new host. she managed to last until the final episode of the sixth season, just as she and Worf were entertaining the possibility of becoming parents.

SEASON SEVEN: As I mentioned at the top of this thread, I have seen every episode (with two exceptions) of Deep Space Nine once each. One may think that I would remember seventh season episodes better than the early ones, them being more "recent" (relatively speaking), but no. Two episodes in (pretty good ones, too), and I am not remembering anything (but I know I've seen them). I don't even remember Dax's new host... Ezry, is it? Looking forward to the rest of this series.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service