Back when DS9 and Voyager were on the air simultaneously, I remember reading an article in TV Guide which postulated that, in the future, Deep Space Nine would be remembered as the best of the (then) four Star Trek television series. The writer made a compelling argument for his case. I don’t remember his specific reasons, but I can tell you this: I have seen every episode of DS9 once, and once only… with two exceptions: I have seen “Blood Oath” (with the three TOS Klingons) and “Trials & Tribble-ations” multiple times each. Because I am less familiar with DS9 than I am TNG, I will probably spend a bit more time summarizing the episodes than I did with TNG, starting with…

Views: 955

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

WHISPERS: The episode begins with a paranoid Chief O’Brien on the run from DS9, then flashes back to how the situation began. Most of the DS9 personnel are treating O’Brien strangely, excerpt for Odo and Jake. Soon, they begin to treat him odd as well. This was a particularly compelling mystery to me as I didn’t remember this episode at all. About 10 minutes before the end I thought I had it figured out, but I didn’t remember the actual ending until I saw it. Looking back over it now, I can see that subtle clues were sprinkled throughout. Usually, one gets to see an episode for the first time only once.

René Auberjonois, 'Star Trek' and 'Benson' Actor, Dies at 79

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ren-auberjonois-dead-star-tr...

Sad to hear this.

Thanks for posting.

PARADISE: Sisko and O’Brien discover a planet with an unknown human colony. They land and all of their technology immediately stops working because of a duonetic filed. The woman who runs the colony is anti-technology, and it turns out that she is generating the field to perpetuate the lifestyle she prefers. Previously she had tortured colonists who rebelled against her way, including Sisko. One little girl even dies of a simple bug bite when medicine could have saved her. When the woman’s duplicity is revealed, she and her son are beamed away (presumably to face some kind of justice), but the colonists, all of them, apparently, decide to stay. I would have liked to have seen at least some of them want to leave (they were from the Federation and had been there 10 years), and to have seen the woman punished.

SHADOWPLAY: Alien colonists are disappearing from a planet in the Gamma Quadrant. It turns out [SPOILER] that the village is a hologram and, except for the elder, so are the villagers. [END SPOILER] the “B” plot involves Quark tring to distract Kira from a smuggling operation and the C plot involves Jake’s reluctance to go to Star Fleet Acadamy.

PLAYING GOD: A young Trill in line for a symbiont is assigned to Dax for training and assessment. Meanwhile, a “proto-universe” from the Gamma Quadrant threatens to supplant our own, and the station is overrun by Cardassian voles. We learn more about Jadzia in the first 15 minutes of this episode than the entire season and a half so far. Jake falls in love with a dado girl.

PROFIT AND LOSS: Quark’s former lover, a Cardassian posing as a teacher with two students, arrives on the station. In reality, her “students” are political refugees fleeing their own people and she is an underground resistance leader. They are surprised to find another Cardassian, Garak, still on the station. As soon as they see each other, the three Cardassian fugitives attempt to flee, but Garak has reported them and Sisko is forced to arrest them as part of a prisoner exchange. Quark has an illegal cloaking device he’s been trying to sell, but offers it to his lover and her friends. Garak is betrayed by the Cardassian officer he contacted, and kills him, allowing the fugitives to escape.

BLOOD OATH: Back when I first started this discussion I mentioned that, although I have seen every episode of DS9, there were only two I had seen more than once. This is one of them, my second favorite. (My favorite is “Trials and Tribble-ations.”) The three Klingons who appear in “Blood Oath” are Kor (from the first TOS episode to feature Kilgons, “Errand of Mercy”), Koloth (from “The Trouble with Tribbles”) and Kang (from the last TOS Klingon episode “Day of the Dove”). Kor is now a drunkard, Koloth is known as “Stoneface” and Kang is now a procrastinating diplomat. Years ago, Curzon Dax swore a blood oath to kill “The Albino,” who killed his three friends’ first born sons. Now it is time for Jadzia Dax to honor that commitment.

A good Star Trek/Deep Space Nine binge would be:

“Errand of Mercy”
“The Trouble with Tribbles”
“Day of the Dove”
“Blood Oath”
“Trials and Tribble-ations”

Another old favorite of mine.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

BLOOD OATH: Back when I first started this discussion I mentioned that, although I have seen every episode of DS9, there were only two I had seen more than once. This is one of them, my second favorite. (My favorite is “Trials and Tribble-ations.”) The three Klingons who appear in “Blood Oath” are Kor (from the first TOS episode to feature Kilgons, “Errand of Mercy”), Koloth (from “The Trouble with Tribbles”) and Kang (from the last TOS Klingon episode “Day of the Dove”). Kor is now a drunkard, Koloth is known as “Stoneface” and Kang is now a procrastinating diplomat. Years ago, Curzon Dax swore a blood oath to kill “The Albino,” who killed his three friends’ first born sons. Now it is time for Jadzia Dax to honor that commitment.

A good Star Trek/Deep Space Nine binge would be:

“Errand of Mercy”
“The Trouble with Tribbles”
“Day of the Dove”
“Blood Oath”
“Trials and Tribble-ations”

There is at least one more episode which will feature Kor, the only (Klingon) survivor of "Blood Oath." I don't remember which one that is, but I'll get to it soon enough.

Also, I remember that, when it became known that DS9 would feature three TOS Klingons, the question arose whether or not they would have the distinctive movir-era forehead ridges. When it was decided that they would, that decision raised a whole other set of questions (not to be answered fully until Enterprise).

THE MAQUIS, Pts. I & II: A lot of the groundwork for what would make DS9 a great show was laid in the second season. “Blood Oath” was followed by the equally important “The Maquis,” a group of resistance fighters who threaten the tenuous peace between the Federation and the Cardassians.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service