Star Trek: Discovery arrives Sept. 24.

Views: 417

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Richard Willis said:

As for the captain and the executive officer both being female, I was reminded of the infamous last episode of the original series, "Turnabout Intruder." Janice Lester always wanted to be a captain but at the time it was said that only men could helm a starship. I think we can agree that that episode is no longer, and never should have been, canon.

I never had a problem with that line. Janice Lester was nuts, and a=nothing she says should be taken at face value.

From pretty early on in Star Trek:The Next Generation, I decided that the various sequel series were taking place in similar but slightly different universe than the original series.  It just makes it easier for me to gloss over any differences in continuity.

IDIC: Infinite Dr. McCoys in Infinite Combinations.

The Baron said:

From pretty early on in Star Trek:The Next Generation, I decided that the various sequel series were taking place in similar but slightly different universe than the original series.  It just makes it easier for me to gloss over any differences in continuity.

I just finished watching episode 6. I can't say enough about how excellent this show is. The portrayals of Sarek and Harry Mudd are consistent with the original series and elaborate on their characters. All of the actors are terrific.

Burnham, disgraced and court-marshalled, is brought into the crew of the USS Discovery by Captain Lorca, a very interesting flawed character who has carte blanche in who he "hires" for his crew, to go after the Klingons as hard as possible. The executive officer happens to be  Saru, who was the alien science officer on the previous doomed ship, the USS Shenzhou. The Discovery acquires an unique propulsion ability which we haven't seen before. A funny-cute female cadet waxes exthusiastic and drops two F-bombs in a short scene so far, as in being F-ing delighted about something. It comes off as natural and could easily being dropped out or over-dubbed if they want to show it on regular TV.

I hope that choosing to put this on a pay-streaming service isn't a poison pill that sinks this show. I deserves to do very, very well.

The first season is 15 episodes. They have already announced renewal for season 2 (aka chapter 2).

Just binged the first four episodes last night.  Episode 1 was pretty clunky and I had my doubts, but the show just gets better and better as it unfolds.   I'm really enjoying it. Easily my favorite since the original series.

I'm all caught up now and I really like this show a lot. The most recent episode however, is the first one where I felt like they weren't pushing the envelope. The episode resorts to the old "caught in a time loop" cliche which has been used many times across many different versions.  It was very well done though.

The producers insist that this show occurs in the original continuity, 10 years prior to the Original Series.  So it's not the alternate continuity created in the film series. I don't mind the decision to update and upgrade the look of everything. IMO, it's necessary to break the cycle of steadily diminishing returns that the Trek TV shows were caught in. This feels fresh and vibrant despite taking place before everything else.  Really looking forward to the rest.

The last few episodes of Discovery have been excellent. Some HUGE developments and what appear to be some very concrete links to the continuity of the orihinal series and some of the sequels.  I really recommend checking this out if you're a long time fan who has been on the fence.

I see the headlines, but I can't comment because I don't get the streaming service and haven't seen the shows! I'm hoping they'll do one of those trial periods, and I can binge the whole show then. It sounds like a great show.

You could do the 7-day free trial, if you timed it so that you have enough time to watch it. This coming Sunday is episode 16, the season ender. Episodes range from 38 to 60 minutes, and you could skip the first two that were broadcast.

7-Day Free Trial

I'm about to go out of town on a business trip, and I'm going to have a lot of time on my hands.  That could be perfect.

Richard Willis said:

You could do the 7-day free trial, if you timed it so that you have enough time to watch it. This coming Sunday is episode 16, the season ender. Episodes range from 38 to 60 minutes, and you could skip the first two that were broadcast.

7-Day Free Trial

Like most TV pilots, the first two episodes are very good but the rest of the season is magnificent, and I'm not one for hyperbole.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service