After I watched the first season of Star Trek: Discovery (on DVD), I decided to kill the time before the release of season two by watching the other Star Trek spin-offs, starting with Enterprise (season four only). After that I moved on to The Next Generation and following that, Deep Space Nine. (It took me seven months to watch seven seasons of TNG, but an entire year to finish DS9.) Up now: Star Trek: Voyager. It took DS9 a while to grow on me (and, until this past year, I had seen the episodes only once each), but I thought Voyager picked up the baton from TNG and ran with it.

I watched all of seasons 1-4, and I was also a member of the Columbia House Voyager VHS club. (I never did cancel my membership; the tapes just stopped coming. It was a huge rip-off, anyway, in comparison to the DVD sets; my VHS tapes are now worthless (in terms of resale value). Unlike DS9 (of which I have only the initial episode for $4.95), I watched the Voyager ones, and am familiar with many of the episodes simply by the title. 

I stopped watching after season four because UPN got squirrelly about how they distributed the show. TNG and DS9 were first-run syndication, but Voyager launched what was intended to be a new network, the United Paramount Network. By the fifth season, though, a station couldn't buy just that show; they had to buy the entire slate of UPN programming. I lived in St. Louis at the time, and had access to six or seven channels: the three networks (ABC, CBS, NBC), the local PBS channel, two local stations, plus a local religious network. None of them wanted the whole package. St. Louis was the 45th largest television market in the country at that time, and we couldn't get Star Trek!

A letter-writing campaign was directed at Larry Rice, the owner of the evangelical station I mentioned earlier. Star Trek is not exactly the kind of programming his station carried, and I'm sure the desperate fans wouldn't have deigned to watch his channel under any other circumstances. A word here about Larry Rice: technically he was a "televangelist," I suppose, but he wasn't one of those millionaires in white suits and wearing gold rings. The office where I used to work in downtown St. Louis was right across the street from his facility, and when supply trucks came in, he was right there in his shirtsleeves helping to unload. Every Thanksgiving, the line was around the block to feed the homeless. But I digress.

I remember some of the local coverage when Voyager debuted. Tuvok was described as the first African-American Vulcan. "African?" "American?" "Vulcan?" Well, he was one of the three. Tim Russ may have been the first African American to play a Vulcan, but that's different. I also recall some controversy surrounding the casting of Robert Beltran as Chakotay. IIRC, Beltran is an Indian, but not of the same tribe as Chakotay. the woman originally cast as Captain quit early on, too. 

Because I have never seen seasons five through seven, I am really looking forward to this series. I have a friend who used to work on a newspaper, and he snagged a VHS of the final episode from the review table for me to watch. I did watch it, but I didn't allow myself to retain any of the the details, in anticipation of the day I would be able to watch the entire series. I don't know how much detail I will go into here, but I don't anticipate taking as long to get through this as I did DS9.

Views: 2860

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

THE CHUTE: As the story begins, Harry and Paris have already been falsely accused, convicted and imprisoned for a crime they did not commit. They are in a "pit" supposedly 300 meters beneath the surface, with no guards. the only access to the "surface" is the titular "chute" which provides them with food and the occasional new prisoner. All of the prisoners have little devices implanted in their skulls which keep them constantly on edge. A turning point comes when Harry makes a device to bypass security and get them into the chute, but when they get to the top, they discover they're actually on a spaceship in orbit.

THE SWARM: The Doctor begins to surrer a kind of "memory loss" which threatens to erase everything he's experienced over the course of the last two years because he has been activated far longer than the EMH program was ever intended. The crew labor to find a solution which would allow him to keep his memories while Voyager is passing through a dangerous region of space jealously guarded by an aggressive species known as "The "Swarm."

FALSE PROFITS: Remember when I was posting about ST:TNG and those two Ferengi were lost in a wormhole and I said that we hadn't seen the last of them? Well, they're baaack. Captain Janeway is perhaps a little too concerned with adhering to the Prime Directive and blows a perfectly good opportunity to get home. she knows it, too. And so does the crew. No one says anything, but it's clear... they know.

REMEMBER: Shortly after Voyager provides transfer to a group of telepathic beings, B'Elanna begins experiencing "dreams" which are really telepathic projections. A murder mystery turns into a case of (possible) genocide cover-up, but the source of the "mystery" is so obvious there's really no suspense at all. to the episode's credit, things are not tied up in a neat little bow at the end, but that doesn't make it any less predictable. 

SACRED GROUND: Janeway must undergo a spiritual quest in order to save Kes's life. Kes unknowingly trespassed onto an alien race's holy ground and was thrown into a mystic coma. The "tests" Janeway was subjected to were so arbitrary I would have been tempted to call the whole thing a wash.

FUTURE'S END, Pts. 1 & 2: Oh, that was Sarah Silverman who played Rain. I know who Sarah Silverman is... now... but I have no idea where I know her from. I know she had a show for a while but, although I never saw it, I saw commercials for it quite frequently. Maybe those are where I know her from. I didn't recognize her as "Rain" until last night. I checked her IMDB listing and I haven't seen a single thing (other than Voyager) she's been in. But I digress.

A Federation iimeship from the 29th century attacks Voyager in the 24th, hurling them both back to the 20th. the timeship arrives in 1967 and is found by a hippy who become a "Bill Gates" type. Voyager arrives in 1996 and has to deal with that guy, Starling, as well as the Captain of the timeship, Braxton, who is now a homeless man. This was one of my favorite episodes at the time, and I still like it although "1996" is obviously an alternate reality. One thing I didn't notice 20+ years ago was a pretty big writer's fiat which got the whole plot moving.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

FUTURE'S END, Pts. 1 & 2: Oh, that was Sarah Silverman who played Rain. I know who Sarah Silverman is... now... but I have no idea where I know her from. I know she had a show for a while but, although I never saw it, I saw commercials for it quite frequently. Maybe those are where I know her from. I didn't recognize her as "Rain" until last night. I checked her IMDB listing and I haven't seen a single thing (other than Voyager) she's been in. But I digress.

Although Sarah Silverman has done a fair amount of acting (I was surprised to see how many credits she has on her IMDB page), she made her bones in standup comedy, so maybe that's where you've seen her. Plus, she was on Saturday Night Live for one season, in 1993 (per Wiki), although she wasn't noticed then.

I asked Tracy when I know her from and she thinks we probably saw her interviewed on one talk show or another and then tuned in to her show for a couple of episodes. I have no memory of that. Tracy doesn't like her, and she doesn't like Amy Schumer, either. But i remember where we first saw Amy Schumer: the William Shatner roast. I liked Amy Schumer's show after that, but had to watch it when Tracy was out of the house. I also liked Schumer's book.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I asked Tracy when I know her from and she thinks we probably saw her interviewed on one talk show or another and then tuned in to her show for a couple of episodes. I have no memory of that. Tracy doesn't like her, and she doesn't like Amy Schumer, either. But i remember where we first saw Amy Schumer: the william Shatner roast. I liked Amy Schumer's show after that, but had to watch it when Tracy was out of the house. I also liked Schumer's book.

Tracy has excellent taste.

Concerning Silverman or Schumer? I don't know about Silverman, but Schumer's "real" personality (as revealed in her book) is far different than the character she puts-on onstage. 

Silverman on children: "I love children! The only thing I love more than children is the ability to do anything I want whenever I want to." 

Sarah Silverman usually appears as herself. On IMDB, these appearances are listed under the "SELF" button, below the "ACTRESS" button. You probably already knew that.

Since 2017, she has also appeared on TV as a political activist.

"You probably already knew that."

Honestly, I never did notice that before. I just read through the entire list and, although noting jumps out at me specifically, there are many shows on that list we have watched from time to time. I'm sure I know her from one of those. (There are actually a lot of celebrities I know, but I have no idea what I know them from.) 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
2 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Randy Jackson's discussion League of Extraordinary Gentlemen reboot
"Presumably, the first thing that will differ would be no Tom Sawyer, unless he's 80-plus years…"
6 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"This story arc (25-27) was very impressive. I was never a big fan of Etrigan but he works well as a…"
6 hours ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Here's Neal Adams again riffing his classic Superman #233 cover, courtesy of the Grand Comics…"
12 hours ago
Randy Jackson posted a discussion
13 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion Pro Wrestling
"I don't know that it's been confirmed anywhere."
14 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to The Baron's discussion Pro Wrestling
"Which would be odd since Steamboat had health issues during his last run with WWE."
15 hours ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Dark Shadows
"I watched episode 584 while making (and eating) breakfast. Willie's abducted Maggie and…"
15 hours ago
"In other wrestling news, Ric Flair is going to wrestle, what'll this be, his third "final…"
16 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to The Baron's discussion Pro Wrestling
"By blood, marriage or being "adopted" into it!"
16 hours ago
The Baron replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Why can't it be both?"
16 hours ago
"I didn't realize that Naomi was a Fatu until I looked up her real name. I feel like every…"
16 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service