Stephen Cannell, 1941-2010

The producer who gave us The Rockford Files, The Greatest American Hero, The A-Team, HunterWiseguy, 21 Jump Street, and more, died from melanoma.

From the Baltimore Sun

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ah, what sad news. It seems like it would easier to list what he didn't do as opposed to what he did. It was just so much. I even enjoyed a couple of his novels.
  • Good lord, I friggin' loved Riptide...
  • I was just a casual fan of Riptide, but I remember there was one episode that had Joe Penny's character confronting his experiences in Vietnam -- and it was such a striking change in tone that it really opened my eyes to the dramatic possibilities of even a lighthearted series.
  • Stephen J. Cannell has immortality just for The Rockford Files alone.

And I knew he gave us Wiseguy, Riptide, 21 Jump Street, The Greatest American Hero, Hardcastle and McCormick and The A-Team.

However, looking over his Internet Movie Database page (here), I learned that he executive produced Toma (which we remember fondly over here).
  • I agree about The Rockford Files, one of the few television series of that era that I followed and remember fondly. Wiseguy was one of the best TV series ever: the arc with Tim Curry as a record producer was stunning, as was the one with Kevin Spacey and Joan Severance. I need to see these again, but right now I can think of few TV episodes that equal them.
This reply was deleted.