Subtitled movies ?

What's your opinion of subtitled movies and TV shows , anyway ?

As I mentioned , a subbe'd movie was one of the movies I saw recently...Some people have absolute " No ! I EILL NOT watch subtitles ! " reactions to them , I obviously , don't , but I can see the some of the stated objections...There's often , I guess , a " purist " , ummm...populist?? split between those who perfer subtitles and those who would like dubbing...

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'm fine with subtitles as long as they're legible.
  • Having done a little (read that as VERY little) acting, I prefer the subtitles simply because you still have the emotional impact of the actor coming across as opposed to the lack of interest of the guy reading it off the sheet of paper and at that sometimes the line gets changed to something else during the translation by someone who decides that it might be better accepted by the audience.
  • I'm perfectly fine with subtitles.

• Subtitles are fine with me. A good movie is a good movie.
  • ...In the pre-video days , non-American movies , of a less " prestige " sort , were often dubbed .

I recentrly read an interview in Video Watchdog with an American man who , living in Italy , was one of the king dubbers there at that time .

( I have read that Italian movies , specifically...at least more " genre/entertainment " ones , I dunno 'bout the Fellini/Berscoluni(???) level...tend to be fimed in a manner where there is no " true " one language version , even the Italian release as actors tend to speak in the language they're comfortable with and the dialogue is dubbed later on . )

• What he said. I prefer them over films that have been dubbed over.

Travis Herrick said:

Subtitles are fine with me. A good movie is a good movie.
  • I prefer subtitles, too.
  • Like letterboxing movies, I don't normally even notice the fact that a movie is subtitled after I get into the flow of the plot and characters.  Some of my favorite foreign films like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Kung Fu Hustle were subtitled, but in my mind I honestly remember the dialogue in English.
  • It's rather easy to frown on dubbing in the abstract, but I have friends and family with very poor eyesight that cannot be corrected.  For them, a subtitled foreign film might as well be a silent movie.  The producers have done so much in recent years to assist the hearing-impaired with captioning, but this segment of the viewing public shouldn't be forgotten.
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, a great film, is subtitled. My complaint with it was that the writing was in white and on more than one occaision the text appeared on a white piece of scenery or just an aera that was lighter. It put an extra strain on my eyes. So sometimes it backfires.

This reply was deleted.