A thread in the Mr. Silver Age thread (RIGHT HERE) about Lana Lang's occasional little brother reminded me once of something I read about adventure heroes, by necessity, not having much in the way of family. You can't go running off to fight evil in the South Seas if you have an infant, or aging parents, or impoverished siblings to deal with back home. It extends to supporting characters, too, pretty often.

So instead of making a list of heroes and supporting characters who are only children, it might be easier to list those characters who have siblings. I'll try to get us started, Here's a beginning list. Correct me where I'm wrong, Legionnaires!

ARCHIE COMICS

• Betty has two older siblings, Polly and Chic.
  • Jughead has a younger sister, Jellybean. (Souphead was a cousin.)
  • Mr. Weatherbee has a twin brother with a full head of hair.
  • Cheryl and Jason Blossom are, of course, twins.

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES

• Cosmic Boy has a younger brother.
  • Lightning Lad, Light Lass and Lightning Lord are all siblings.

GREEN LANTERN

• Hal Jordan has two brothers.
  • Guy Gardner has a sister and a brother.

SPIDER-MAN

• Liz Allan and the Molten Man are step-siblings.
  • Mary Jane has an older sister, Gayle.

SUPERMAN

• Jor-El and Zor-El were brothers.
  • Lois Lane has a sister, Lucy. In the Golden Age, Lois was bedeviled by a niece, Susie Thompkins, of unknown provenance. In 1982, all the Susie Thompkins stories were relegated to Earth-Two, so that Lucy ("Lucille") could be her mother.
  • Lex Luthor has a sister, Lena.
  • Lana Lang, as noted in The Baron's thread, had an occasional younger brother.

Next!

Views: 992

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One of the later issues gave her a completely different origin. I believe it's after they made her an adult.

Luke Blanchard said:

Ronald Morgan said:

They later retconned Kitten into being Catman's niece

If you'll forgive me, she called him uncle, but that can be a courtesy title for guardians. Wikipedia says he adopted her but I looked at her first couple of appearances and didn't see that. She's called his ward in the opening caption of their last Golden Age story, from Cat-Man #32.

Luthor also had an older sister who was disowned for marrying an European (for some reason). The product of that union was his niece, Nastalia or Nasty!

Ronald Morgan said:

So was Eve their mother? 

Philip Portelli said:

The Houses of Mystery and Secrets' Cain and Abel.

Apparently, Eve was also the host of one of DC's other "mystery" books before Neil Gaiman included the three of them in his Sandman epic. She was presented as their mother and the implication was that the three characters either were the people in the Bible or were dream constructs of them. Every time we see Cain in Sandman and The Dreaming he is murdering Abel in various gruesome ways. Abel returns and he does it all over again. 

That's an Alan Moore idea, from the The Saga of Swamp Thing #33. Spoiler warning. Abby meets Cain and Abel in a dream, and is offered a chance to learn a mystery or a secret. Cain is off-putting, so she chooses a secret. Abel's story is a reprint of the proto-Swamp Thing story from House of Secrets #92. On finishing Abel reveals the meaning: Swamp Thing is one of a long line of Swamp Things. He tries to get Abby away so she'll remember, but Cain pursues them, saying if she wanted a story she could tell others, she should've chosen a mystery. He kills Abel, and in the subsequent dialogue reveals he invented murder, and their punishment is they reenact the crime eternally. Abby wakes up, and starts writing the dream down, but a phone rings and by the end of the call she's forgotten everything.

Ah! I have gathered the Alan Moore Swamp Thing volumes but still haven't made the time to read them.

The Golden Age Daredevil (Bart Hill) had an unnamed brother who died filling in for him in Silver Streak #9.  I can't see how this sibling would fit in with either version of Bart's origin, but for semi-obvious reasons, I'll always think of this nameless brother as "Mike".

I remember one 70s issue of either House of Mystery or House of Secrets where the editor said that they were not that Cain and Abel and Eve wasn't their mother. In the old comics of course, Cain loved insulting Abel but there was never any violence between them, although those kids that would come to the house to hear their stories sometimes did horrible things to them. One story explained the kids were ghosts.

Luke Blanchard said:

That's an Alan Moore idea, from the The Saga of Swamp Thing #33. Spoiler warning. Abby meets Cain and Abel in a dream, and is offered a chance to learn a mystery or a secret. Cain is off-putting, so she chooses a secret. Abel's story is a reprint of the proto-Swamp Thing story from House of Secrets #92. On finishing Abel reveals the meaning: Swamp Thing is one of a long line of Swamp Things. He tries to get Abby away so she'll remember, but Cain pursues them, saying if she wanted a story she could tell others, she should've chosen a mystery. He kills Abel, and in the subsequent dialogue reveals he invented murder, and their punishment is they reenact the crime eternally. Abby wakes up, and starts writing the dream down, but a phone rings and by the end of the call she's forgotten everything.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service