I was a bit leery of talking about the Man of Steel because so much has been written about Kal-El and there are so many experts on him here. But SUPERBOY? Except for his Legion appearances, very little of the Boy of Steel has been reprinted in the last thirty or so years so, perhaps, I can come up with some decent queries.

• When did Superboy (of Earth-One) know that he was from Krypton? I know the Golden Age version but was there that moment with young Kal? He did invent a memory-prober so he could recall his life on Krypton as an infant but was there anything that prompted him to do so? In other worlds, when was the first time Krypton appeared in the Superboy features?
  • One of the quirky parts of the Silver Age Superboy stories was that he built a time telescope so he could view the future. That way he already knew that he would become Superman and learnt about the destines of BATMAN, LOIS LANE and even GREEN ARROW. He encountered an adult Luthor during his time travels. Does that seem right? Should he have that much knowledge of his future. The Legion prevented that in the 30th century yet he had free rein to do so in the 20th.
  • Obviously there was a LOT of Kryptonian/future/advanced tech in the Kent home. Remember Superboy's "Fortress" was his basement!!

Have to recharge! Be Right back!

Views: 2511

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

UR-Aussie , Jimm? Are they represented different in OZ fiction &picthers? I'll eventually find out yr anzers,I guess.

Take It Easy          PPL

Jimmm Kelly said:

There were stories that showed Superman giving up the Clark Kent identity, but I always felt he gave it up too easily. If he had always lived like that, it wouldn't be something he could just stop. This was his way of life forever. 

There were a few Superboy stories I read that played up Smallville's gothic setting--what felt like Ray Bradbury's SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES. There was always an undercurrent of that and it was approached in the SMALLVILLE TV series for the first couple of seasons. But it was never really developed full on. The strongest sense of that was in the late '60s and early '70s--but I think they could have done more of that to feed in with all the horror comics that DC was doing at the time.

When I think of Canadian and American stories I've read--or how these towns are sometimes represented on the screen--there's this ambivalent attitude. Like people (big city people?) have a bad feeling about these towns--something bad is always going on there. We can't trust them.

Smallville was supposed to represent good old small town America, family values and all that--but there was always a lot of weirdness going on behind closed doors. Superboy was super-cosmopolitan--he had travelled through time and space, he was super-sophisticated--it must have been eerie for him living in this small town. In a way, as Clark Kent, he was a spy--working undercover to scope out all the weird goings on.

No'm Canajun, eh? Sorry! (Sorry is how Canadians say hello, goodbye and everything in between.)

Some more questions:

• Wasn't it odd that the Kents ran a farm with no help? They had their isolation but it must have made people talk.
  • Why did the Kents start their general store when Clark got older? Did they want to get back to civilization, as it were? Was it simply for the social interaction?
  • Was Clark lonely or was he alone by choice? Was the burden of his secret so ingrained into him that he thought his solitude was normal? Was he saved emotionally by the Legion?
  • Did Clark resent his childhood? He didn't have to become a super-hero as an eight-year old. He had so many responsibilities piled on top of maintaining his secret that it's a miracle that he didn't rebel against it. I recall one story where the Kents move to another town under a new name. Clark ditched the meek & mild act and became a star athlete with Pa beaming with pride. I thought that it was the usual ruse but surprisingly it wasn't! They simply wanted some adulation!
  • What on Earth (or Krypton) is a Krypto-Mouse? I saw a picture of a giant, anthropomorphic mouse in a Superman suit in an issue of Superman Family. I can't believe he existed but what's his story?

Philip Portelli said:

What on Earth (or Krypton) is a Krypto-Mouse? I saw a picture of a giant, anthropomorphic mouse in a Superman suit in an issue of Superman Family. I can't believe he existed but what's his story?

Your other questions are speculative, Philip, so I'll leave those to folks who can speculate better than I can.  But your question about Krypto-Mouse is factual, and that one I can field.

Krypto-Mouse was, originally, the pet mouse of Smallville youngster Tommy Ewell. The mouse, named Fuzzy, is accidentally exposed to the radiation of an experiment being conducted by the Ewells' next-door neighbour, Professor Egglehead.

As a result, Fuzzy undergoes an amazing transformation. He grows to the size of an adult human male and takes on an anthropomorphic appearance. In addition, because the professor's device involved kryptonite, Fuzzy acquires the usual array of Kryptonian super-powers.

The mouse instinctively returns to Tommy, and when the boy discovers what his transformed pet can now do, he decides to train it to emulate Superboy. Tommy dresses the now-humanoid mouse in a Superboy costume, dubs it "Krypto-Mouse", and attempts to train it to use its super-powers to perform good deeds.  Hi-jinx ensue.

You can read all about it in "The Amazing Adventures of Krypto-Mouse", from Superboy # 65 (Jun., 1958).  If you missed picking up that issue at the drug store, it was reprinted in Adventure Comics # 318 (Mar., 1964).

Hope this helps.

As a COMPLETE ASSIDE. - I LOVE this forum. It's a Sunday morning, I'm on my first coffee of the day and I've just learn't anout 'Krypto-mouse'...!

Thanks, Commander! Sounds like a hoot! Professor Egglehead!

I wonder if Krypto-Mouse was a spoof on either the disastrous Super Pup pilot or Mighty Mouse who was originally known as Super Mouse. Probably why he was call "Krypto-Mouse" in the first place.

I don't think that teenage Clark Kent had it so bad--in his Superboy identity, he was admired not only world-wide, but on a number of alien planets, and knew that he would still be fondly recalled 1000 years in the future--that's bigger than making the football team.  And Clark did have friends in his civilian identity, at least Lana Lang & Pete Ross, and Pete was mostly Clark's friend, and spent less time with Superboy.  In some ways, it was the best of both worlds, since as Clark, he could just be a regular guy, with no one expecting anything of him--with all the adulation and responsibilities Superboy had, why would he want even more as Clark?

On the website gone-and-forgotten.blogspot.com I found this image of Krypto-Mouse. How did he not make it into the SuperPets?

Wasn't it odd that the Kents ran a farm with no help? They had their isolation but it must have made people talk.

It depends on how big the farm was, and/or what they were farming. I had an uncle who ran a 100 acre farm by himself for 20 years.

Why did the Kents start their general store when Clark got older? Did they want to get back to civilization, as it were? Was it simply for the social interaction?

It is easier than running a farm.

...I have/had a reason for posting this ~ It involves Superboy , so I poseted it here .
But...........

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

I used to think, if Superman or Superboy could compress coal into diamonds, what are Ma and Pa Kent doing toiling on the land to try to run a farm?

Why weren't they living in luxury?

What kind of a son is that?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service