Views: 602

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tonight's episode was completely without Jimmy James Olsen, and I have to say it was all the better for it. Making him The Guardian, and bringing with it a whole lot of angst and brooding, is not working for me. Actually, there wasn't anything about CatCo. in the episode at all.

Supergirl had to contend with Mxyzptlk, and for Earth-CW, he's not, as Alan Moore called him, "a funny little man in a derby hat," but young, dashing, and a little foppish. Maybe the dude in the orange and purple is Mxyztplk (note spelling) from, oh, the Earth where The Flash is from, maybe?

I am missing the presence of Cat Grant. We were promised she would show up some of the time, but she hasn't been around since the season premiere!

I also enjoyed the Mxyzptlk episode. I had forgotten how natural it is to spell his name! A very old friend.

I was surprised when they used the tried-and-true method of getting rid of him.

I've always liked Winn and have grown to like Mon-El. Unless I missed it, they never explained why his name fits with Kara's family name.

Supergirl's next episdode, on March 20, will cross over with the March 21 Flash episode. A villain called the Music Meister will deliver the rationale for the hoped-for musical/dance story involving Melissa Benoist and Grant Gustin.

Looking at last night's episode, I'm starting to wonder if CatCo is being phased out of the series.

First, we haven't seen Cat Grant since the second episode. Then Jimmy James Olsen wasn't in the previous two episodes and was barely in this one. And, most of all, Kara gets fired.

No -- most of all, Snapper Carr fires her. For cause. 

No question in my mind that she should have been fired. For somebody who claims that journalism is her passion -- It is? Since when? -- she doesn't seem to know much about how it's done. 

I wondered the same thing, except they have James Olsen running Catco for Cat Grant. Since he's also the Guardian, they might be able to justify moving him into the DEO. More likely, Olsen* will overrule Carr and rehire Kara, which will create even more animosity between them.

* Or Cat Grant will swoop in and reinstate her.

Richard Willis said:

I wondered the same thing, except they have James Olsen running Catco for Cat Grant. Since he's also the Guardian, they might be able to justify moving him into the DEO. More likely, Olsen* will overrule Carr and rehire Kara, which will create even more animosity between them.

* Or Cat Grant will swoop in and reinstate her.n

Yeah, chances are one of those two would reinstate Kara, which would be a mistake. If Kara doesn't understand the difference between being a journalist for the mainstream media and being a blogger -- and there was no sign that she has any such understanding -- then she really has no business working for CatCo as a reporter. 

Kara was great as Cat Grant's assistant, and I get that she ought to move along from such a dead-end job. But being a reporter was a bad fit, both for the character and for the show. 

I think I read an article that said Cat is unlikely to return this season after all. 

I agree Kara should have been fired. With all of the insults being slung at the "mainstream media" these days, its refreshing to see an example of true journalistic integrity (in reference to Snapper). I wonder if Lord Damp Nut was paying attention...?

Finally saw the episode, and I definitely think Snapper's in the right. Although probably in the wrong for giving Kara such plum assignments in the first place. 

I loved that he pointed out that Supergirl is pretty much her only source. (Well, there's Lena Luthor, too!)

It's funny -- in a way, Kara getting fired is her own "great power/great responsibility" moment. It's something she's internalized in her Supergirl identity, but it's her secret ID where she's reckless.

I really do hope she continues leaning how to be a responsible journalist -- and I especially hope they manage to keep Snapper around. Kara could have a great teacher there if she could just stop thinking she was right all the time.

Ultimately, I just want an episode of Supergirl based on Astro City #2.

Regarding the March 20 episode, I tried to look up Mandrax (the alien gang leader) on Wikipedia to see if he was a DC Comics character. It turned out that Mandrax is the UK name for the US drug Quaalude. Somebody's clever idea of a joke or a coincidence?

I told my wife, "Watch, the crossover with Flash is entirely within the last scene of the Supergirl show like it was in the four-show crossover." I was right.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service