PRESS RELEASE

DC CHARACTERS TO VISIT NATIONAL CITY FOR SEASON THREE OF SUPERGIRL

Executive Producers and Cast Introduce New Characters at Saturday’s Comic-Con Panel

Adrian Pasdar (Heroes), Carl Lumbly (Alias), Yael Grobglas (Jane the Virgin) and Emma Tremblay (Elysium) Join for Season 3

BURBANK, Calif. (July 22, 2017) — “A Martian, two villains and a young lady walk into a bar in National City…” Although it sounds like the setup for a Comic-Con–inspired joke, it’s actually the latest casting news from Supergirl’s panel Saturday, July 22. Fans not only learned more about the emerging threat from DC Worldkiller Reign (Odette Annable), but also were introduced to a few more characters poised to cross paths with Supergirl in season three.

Adrian Pasdar (top) will play Morgan Edge, above. Art copyright DC Entertainment Inc.
Adrian Pasdar (Heroes, Colony, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.) will play the charismatic capitalist Morgan Edge, a ruthless real estate developer who will stop at nothing to get what he wants (and what he feels he deserves). The DC villain’s big plans for National City instantly put him at odds with Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) and Lena Luthor (Katie McGrath).

Carl Lumbly (top) will play M'yrnn J'onzz. Art copyright DC Entertainment Inc.
Carl Lumbly (Alias, Southland, The Cure for Wellness) embodies the classic DC character M’yrnn J’onzz, the father of J’onn J’onnz, the Martian Manhunter (David Harewood). A pacifist religious leader on Mars, M’yrn pushes his son in unexpected ways. Actor Lumbly is no stranger to the J’onzz family, as he’s voiced the Martian Manhunter on the Justice League animated series.

Yael Grobglas
Yael Grobglas (Jane the Virgin, Reign) portrays DC character Psi, a psychic villain who uses people’s own minds against them. Psi’s agenda puts her on Supergirl’s radar, and their meeting will affect the Girl of Steel in surprising ways.

Emma Tremblay
Emma Tremblay (Elysium, The Judge, The Giver, Wayward Pines) plays Ruby, a smart, independently minded National City kid who’s fascinated by Supergirl and ends up in jeopardy because of it.

Supergirl returns for its third season Monday, October 9, at 8/7c on The CW. Based on the DC characters created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, the series is executive produced by Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg, Sarah Schechter, Robert Rovner and Jessica Queller. Supergirl is produced by Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television.

Views: 271

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They've somewhat conflated the characters. Also, Renee Montoya was used on the Gotham show, thought not recently. If this is the reason, it isn't consistent. Every show and movie uses Ra's al Ghul in one form or another, apparently without a problem. 

ClarkKent_DC said:

It still bothers the heck out of me that they plainly have Renee Montoya on screen but are caling her "Maggie Sawyer." bang head photo banghead.gif

Well, this week's episode delivered on the moment they've been building up to: the breakup of Alex and Maggie.

Off-screen, it's because Floriana Lima became unavailable to continue as Renee Montoya Maggie Sawyer. On screen, well ... 

I always thought it was pretty dumb of Alex to become so invested in her first girlfriend, but hey -- the heart wants what it wants.

I commend the Supergirl writers for coming up with a plausible reason for them to separate that doesn't make either of them the bad guy: the inability to reach a meeting of the minds on having children. I'm glad they didn't do something like having Maggie cheat or Alex get jealous of one of Maggie's exes, or Alex sabotaging the relationship after some dumb situation comedy-type shenanigans where she misunderstood something she partly heard and things snowballing from there -- the kind of story where things would have been cleared up in five minutes if they had just talked to each other.

No, in this episode, it was clear they had done plenty of talking. But it wasn't enough. And they love each other, but it wasn't enough. Well done.

That story, even though it was the subplot, was better executed than the main story. Morgan Edge publicly blames Lena Luthor for several children suddenly taking ill in National City, claiming it was side effects from that lead bomb that chased away the Daxamites last season. It's certainly plausible; after all, haven't we all grown up being told how dangerous lead is for regular people? But did anyone doubt for a moment that Lena was being framed?

From there, the story plodded to its inevitable conclusion. I thought it was weird that Lena would accede to the notion she should step down without the CatCo p.r. department and in-house counsel in on the decision, but I have to remember I'm watching Supergirl, not Suits. And I also thought it was odd that Supergirl had so much trouble holding up the broken transport plane while rescuing Lena; hasn't she handled heavier things than that before?

And then there's the intimation that Lena and Ron Troupe James "my friends call me Jimmy" Olsen* might become a couple. What the -- ? Didn't he start the episode complaining about her ethics and about her leaving him out of the loop as the boss? Isn't dating the boss still a bad idea? 

* This character may have the name "Jimmy Olsen," but he ain't him.

We watched this episode last night and I agree with everything you said. In another relfection of real world politics (see this season's first episode), the angry crowd chanted "Lock her up!" at Lena Luthor.

My wife did a double take at "Lock her up!" and I told her to listen more closely to the dialogue, especially Cat Grant. This show is unabashedly feminist, and takes shots at Trump all the time. Normally entertainment vehicles don't take political positions in fear of alienating potential customers, but I doubt very many deplorable are watching a show named Supergirl, or would even consider doing so.

Anyway, I also agree with everything CK said, and have nothing to add. 

Coming attractions: According to virtually every news outlet in the country, Brainiac 5 is coming to Supergirl this season, and will be -- as in the comics -- a love interest. Is Kara going to date every member of the Legion? Saturn Girl's supposed to appear this season too!

On November 27 and 28, The CW will air this year's Arrowverse crossover, Crisis on Earth-X.

This week only, Arrow will follow Supergirl on Monday. Supergirl and Arrow will be parts one and two. Flash and Legends of Tomorrow will be parts three and four.

Okay-- I found much to enjoy in "Midvale," and the actors who played young Kara and Olivia (most notably sixteen-year-old Izabela Vidovic as Kara) could not have been better-chosen. I also like the way they brought in Chloe Sullivan.

Still, they really forced their way through the mysteries, and left a good many unanswered questions, like:

How does getting the quarterback to admit in a private conversation, with another student, in a locker room, that he used marijuana, lead to his suspension from school?

Wouldn’t the large hole in the stadium basement wall raise one or two questions? Even more than Kara tossing around a larger teenage athlete?

Given that Alex has two years on Kara, why do they have two of the same classes?

How on earth did Kenny get so many incriminating photographs? Because I’m pretty sure being curious and owning a telescope wouldn’t let him do that, no matter how creepy determined he might be.

"...the actors who played young Kara and Olivia could not have been better-chosen."

Agreed.

" I also like the way they brought in Chloe Sullivan."

Not only that, but did you notice the woman who played "Noel Neil" was the same actress who played Lois Lane on Smallville?

I'm a week behind, but I thought they handled the Maggie/Alex breakup well. Having been broken up with for those exact same reasons a few decades ago, it felt pretty true to life -- amicable, but with irreconcilable differences. 

I think Floriana Lima gave a good performance as Maggie (even if, yes, she definitely seemed more like Rene Montoya than Maggie Sawyer, who already had a kid when we first met her). But I'm not too sorry she's gone. I think Chyler Leigh will do a fine job putting Alex through her post-breakup paces, and am interested in seeing where she goes from here -- and seeing what happens if she starts dating someone who's NOT in law enforcement. 

Also, I just think in principle it's good for the casts of superhero shows to contract every once in awhile. Even if it means axing Snapper Carr, the only person in the Berlantiverse who seemed to have any idea how jobs work.

Yeah, Snapper wasn't a very good character -- he was essentially a cliche -- but you're right, he did ask Kara to do her job properly. Putting "James" Olsen in charge is something that happened only because it's a TV show, and he's one of the stars, but in real life it wouldn't. Interestingly, he doesn't seem to know what he's doing, which I don't think is what the writers intended. How many people in the audience went "OOOOOH" when he called his new boss on the carpet for leaving him out of a meeting? And how many of those same people lost their suspension of disbelief when he wasn't fired on the spot?

I also agree that the break-up was done well, especially for a soapy network like The CW. That could have been a real scene-chewer, and wasn't. 

I haven't seen "Midvale" yet, so I can't comment on that yet, but I wanted to respond to you, Rob. Good points!

Pretty much in every episode of The Flash and Smallville, either Kathy or I exclaim "HOW DO JOBS WORK ON THE CW?" (It'd be Arrow, too, but Kathy doesn't watch that one.) Because Kara's and Barry's constant absences from work, Iris's "reporting" only on her fiance (and seemingly not even that anymore), Jimmy's promotion, Ralph leaving his detective agency to become an unpaid superhero, Lena Luthor's pinballing from company to company, leaving her old firm to the new hire (who seems to be an old friend, at least; that wasn't made clear when she was introduced) -- none of it makes a lick of sense. 

Snapper won my heart when he went off on Kara's overuse of adverbs.

All I want from a CW newsroom is an adaptation of Astro City #2. Is that too much to ask? ;)

JD DeLuzio said:

Okay-- I found much to enjoy in "Midvale," and the actors who played young Kara and Olivia (most notably sixteen-year-old Izabela Vidovic as Kara) could not have been better-chosen. I also like the way they brought in Chloe Sullivan.

Agreed -- that was excellent casting

Still, they really forced their way through the mysteries, and left a good many unanswered questions, like:

How does getting the quarterback to admit in a private conversation, with another student, in a locker room, that he used marijuana, lead to his suspension from school?

I figure somebody in the locker room overheard the conversation and dropped a dime on him. 

Wouldn’t the large hole in the stadium basement wall raise one or two questions? Even more than Kara tossing around a larger teenage athlete?

Sure, but that could just be an unanswered mystery. Alex didn't say Kara's name when she was taunting the sheriff just before Kara broke in, and the sheriff was knocked unconscious by Kara bursting through the wall and didn't see her.

Given that Alex has two years on Kara, why do they have two of the same classes?

I figure Kara was an advanced-placement student.

How on earth did Kenny get so many incriminating photographs? Because I’m pretty sure being curious and owning a telescope wouldn’t let him do that, no matter how creepy determined he might be.

Who knows how long Kenny was at his secret hobby?

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

All I want from a CW newsroom is an adaptation of Astro City #2. Is that too much to ask? ;)

That Astro City #2 story makes me bang head photo banghead.gif. Sure, the news editor was right, in a technical. legalistic sense, and sure, he made the reporter produce a story that was accurate ... but it wasn't true.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service