PRESS RELEASE

DC CHARACTERS TO VISIT NATIONAL CITY FOR SEASON THREE OF SUPERGIRL

Executive Producers and Cast Introduce New Characters at Saturday’s Comic-Con Panel

Adrian Pasdar (Heroes), Carl Lumbly (Alias), Yael Grobglas (Jane the Virgin) and Emma Tremblay (Elysium) Join for Season 3

BURBANK, Calif. (July 22, 2017) — “A Martian, two villains and a young lady walk into a bar in National City…” Although it sounds like the setup for a Comic-Con–inspired joke, it’s actually the latest casting news from Supergirl’s panel Saturday, July 22. Fans not only learned more about the emerging threat from DC Worldkiller Reign (Odette Annable), but also were introduced to a few more characters poised to cross paths with Supergirl in season three.

Adrian Pasdar (top) will play Morgan Edge, above. Art copyright DC Entertainment Inc.
Adrian Pasdar (Heroes, Colony, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.) will play the charismatic capitalist Morgan Edge, a ruthless real estate developer who will stop at nothing to get what he wants (and what he feels he deserves). The DC villain’s big plans for National City instantly put him at odds with Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) and Lena Luthor (Katie McGrath).

Carl Lumbly (top) will play M'yrnn J'onzz. Art copyright DC Entertainment Inc.
Carl Lumbly (Alias, Southland, The Cure for Wellness) embodies the classic DC character M’yrnn J’onzz, the father of J’onn J’onnz, the Martian Manhunter (David Harewood). A pacifist religious leader on Mars, M’yrn pushes his son in unexpected ways. Actor Lumbly is no stranger to the J’onzz family, as he’s voiced the Martian Manhunter on the Justice League animated series.

Yael Grobglas
Yael Grobglas (Jane the Virgin, Reign) portrays DC character Psi, a psychic villain who uses people’s own minds against them. Psi’s agenda puts her on Supergirl’s radar, and their meeting will affect the Girl of Steel in surprising ways.

Emma Tremblay
Emma Tremblay (Elysium, The Judge, The Giver, Wayward Pines) plays Ruby, a smart, independently minded National City kid who’s fascinated by Supergirl and ends up in jeopardy because of it.

Supergirl returns for its third season Monday, October 9, at 8/7c on The CW. Based on the DC characters created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, the series is executive produced by Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg, Sarah Schechter, Robert Rovner and Jessica Queller. Supergirl is produced by Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television.

Views: 385

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't know... the story was accurate, and all the things he reported were verified. That doesn't mean he or another reporter couldn't follow up later and confirm what they knew to the point where they could print it. (And, IIRC, the story does say the facts of the matter came out later.)  But for that edition, that night, it was the right thing to print. I like the incrementalism of it. 

I'm still one week behind on Supergirl, so I haven't started watching the crossover yet... but I did see the episode where Mon-El returns...and then, Imra! With hints of more to come! I'm thrilled.

As for the change in Imra's romantic status: I'm really excited about it. It means anything can happen with this Legion, and I don't know what's going to happen next.

I'm also fine with the fact that there's only been a 7-year gap between when Mon-El saw Kara and now, rather than a 1,000-year stint in the Phantom Zone. It changes Mon-El into more of a Buck Rodgers figure than a 1,000-year prisoner/spectator of history, but that eliminates some plotting complications, and it was only briefly dwelt on with Mon, anyway. Plus, we've already got J'onn's d'add to recover from hundreds of years of imprisonment, so why duplicate that? 

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

All I want from a CW newsroom is an adaptation of Astro City #2. Is that too much to ask? ;)

ClarkKent_DC said:

That Astro City #2 story makes me bang head photo banghead.gif. Sure, the news editor was right, in a technical. legalistic sense, and sure, he made the reporter produce a story that was accurate ... but it wasn't true.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I don't know... the story was accurate, and all the things he reported were verified. That doesn't mean he or another reporter couldn't follow up later and confirm what they knew to the point where they could print it. (And, IIRC, the story does say the facts of the matter came out later.)  But for that edition, that night, it was the right thing to print. I like the incrementalism of it. 

Yeah, it was accurate, but my complaint is that it wasn't true. There was a whole lot more going on than just a dead shark found in a subway tunnel, and a story that leaves all that out isn't true. It's not a lie by omission, but it's something akin to that, in that it tells you about one tree and not about the forest.

Sure, but if they couldn't verify the whole truth, you think they should hold off on printing what they could verify? 

If Astro Citizens are wondering what's held up the 7 line last Tuesday, the newspaper is better off not writing anything about it, rather than saying a dead shark was found on the line? Even if Elliot (I think that was the reporter's name) couldn't verify the battle he saw, maybe some other reporter (even at another paper) had another piece of evidence out there, and could start to connect some dots. Or maybe the shark story would inspire an Honor Guard member to comment on it, and that the interdimensional shark problem had been taken care of, and they can do more reporting from there. Without that initial shark story, the ball doesn't get rolling.

I agree that it's not even a fraction of the whole truth, and the public deserves to know more. But I'm not sure that if they can't know more, they deserve to know less. I think the shark story is a thread that may or may not be able to be pulled to find more and more of what was going on behind it. And that's something you can't ever really know until you put those threads out there. 

Anyway, different strokes. I really liked it. And the main gripe I was trying to express by bringing it up was that TV and comics reporters (Lois Lane often included, and definitely Kara and the whole crew at CatCo, with the occasional exception of Snapper) usually lean way too hard into opinion rather than straight news coverage. This is the one story I could think of that leaned the other way.

Supergirl returns with new episodes on January 15.

This is another show that's firing on all cylinders.

Remember that sappy lesbian romance between Alex and what's-her-name? Gone. (And, as someone else said, the one-night stand Alex had with Sara Lance was more believable, more emotionally satisfying, more engaging and more just plain funny than a whole season of that other whiny "'relationship" where there was zero chemistry.)

Instead, we have Mon-El back from the future with his wife (!), Imra Ardeen. Yes, they've ditched the 1,000 years in the Phantom Zone bit for seven years in the 31st century, which may actually be an improvement. (We've already got J'onn's father for the millennia-of-imprisoment angle.)

(Speaking of J'onn's father, it's pronounced Myron. But every time I see M'Ronn in print, I think "moron." Oh, well.)

Anyway, Saturn Girl Imra and Mon-El talk about the Legion, which does its best to enforce law and order on a chaotic future, inspired by Supergirl. That makes even MORE sense than the comics, where Superboy and Supergirl were historical figures. For Mon-El, it's someone he knew personally. (And, yes, knew in the biblical sense as well.) This is great!

Plus,the reason the two of them are there is that a bunch of Legionnaires (Winn describes them as "a legion of superheroes," and god bless you, son) were accidentally sent back in time and they were trying to sleep back to the future. So there are MORE Legionnaires on their ship in cryo-sleep, and that's too big a gun on the mantelpiece to leave alone. Surely we will meet them.

Who will they be? I'd guess Ultra Boy and Phantom Girl, as two, for their popularity in the comics. (Phantom Girl has not only been a member of the LSH, but also L.E.G.I.O.N. and soon The Terriffics.) But Ultra Boy is pretty similar to Mon-El's power level and abilities on the show, so maybe not him. Which would be a shame, since Jo and Tinya are usually a package deal.

Who else? Wait, wait -- Brainicac Five, of course! And he will have his ill-fated romance with the Maid of Steel. That's an obvious one.

Hrmm. Duo Damsel could be funny. Chameleon Boy's got a good look (and it's easy FX). Shrinking Violet? Colossal Boy? Not terribly original powers, but easy to film.

Speaking of powers, the battle between Reign and Supergirl was really well done. If you haven't seen it, go watch it. The FX on this show are really getting good, as is the fight choreography.

Finally: Reign. We don't know how an ancient Kryptonian deity/worldkiller has taken over Sam's mind. But we do know the show is playing her as horror as much as SF. That's awesome, especially for a show as light and breezy as Supergirl.

More, please!

Captain Comics said:

Remember that sappy lesbian romance between Alex and what's-her-name? Gone. (And, as someone else said, the one-night stand Alex had with Sara Lance was more believable, more emotionally satisfying, more engaging and more just plain funny than a whole season of that other whiny "'relationship" where there was zero chemistry.)

Chyler Leigh, who plays Alex, did the most with what she was given. The actress playing Maggie didn’t seem to be up to the challenge. I won’t miss her. I enjoy watching Caity Lotz as Sara Lance.

Instead, we have Mon-El back from the future with his wife (!), Imra Ardeen. Yes, they've ditched the 1,000 years in the Phantom Zone bit for seven years in the 31st century, which may actually be an improvement.

Other than saying she was a superhero, they didn’t clarify Imra’s powers. No indication of telepathy. I thought I saw her briefly using superstrength, but may have been mistaken. I’d like to see others of the Legion, too, if they have the proper powers.

Speaking of powers, the battle between Reign and Supergirl was really well done. If you haven't seen it, go watch it. The FX on this show are really getting good, as is the fight choreography.

Finally: Reign. We don't know how an ancient Kryptonian deity/worldkiller has taken over Sam's mind. But we do know the show is playing her as horror as much as SF. That's awesome, especially for a show as light and breezy as Supergirl.
More, please!

I had no previous exposure to Reign, but am enjoying the character in both her worldkiller and mother roles.

Chameleon Boy and Braniac Five seem like good choices, but does anyone else hope we'll at least get a shout-out or cameo by Matter-Eater Lad or, say, this guy:

And while Bouncing Boy and Triplicate Girl/Duo Damsel have long been Legion favorites, they're kind of ridiculous.

Captain Comics said:

This is another show that's firing on all cylinders.

Plus,the reason the two of them are there is that a bunch of Legionnaires (Winn describes them as "a legion of superheroes," and god bless you, son) were accidentally sent back in time and they were trying to sleep back to the future. So there are MORE Legionnaires on their ship in cryo-sleep, and that's too big a gun on the mantelpiece to leave alone. Surely we will meet them.

Who will they be? I'd guess Ultra Boy and Phantom Girl, as two, for their popularity in the comics. (Phantom Girl has not only been a member of the LSH, but also L.E.G.I.O.N. and soon The Terriffics.) But Ultra Boy is pretty similar to Mon-El's power level and abilities on the show, so maybe not him. Which would be a shame, since Jo and Tinya are usually a package deal.

Who else? Wait, wait -- Brainicac Five, of course! And he will have his ill-fated romance with the Maid of Steel. That's an obvious one.

Hrmm. Duo Damsel could be funny. Chameleon Boy's got a good look (and it's easy FX). Shrinking Violet? Colossal Boy? Not terribly original powers, but easy to film.

I agree that Duo Damsel is ridiculous, and -- as the Commander often notes -- is probably the Legion's most useless member. But I was thinking in terms of what can be done without breaking the FX budget, and hiring twins to play Luornu is pretty cheap. Plus, there are endless possibilities for situational and verbal humor.

I was thinking the same about Chameleon Boy, since his facial makeup wouldn't be a challenge -- TV was doing Andorian antennae 60 years ago without breaking a sweat, and the various Star Trek series have made weird-head-makeup to indicate aliens such a standard that they use it on The Orville. (Their chief bad guys look almost exactly like the Delta Quadrant bad guys on DS9.) But then again, he's a shapechanger, and so is J'onn, so that's redundant.

Shrinking and growing heroes are really easy for today's FX -- we see Atom do both on Legends -- so that's why I suggested them.

But they'll probably go with Brainiac Five for the romance angles, and Cosmic Boy and Lightning Lad, who look like ordinary blokes, and whose superpowers are indicated by pointing. Maybe Sun Boy, too, but boy that'd be a really powerful posse. They might overshadow the star!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service