Supergirl returns for Season 5 on Sunday, Oct. 6 at a new time, 9 p.m. Eastern, following Batwoman at 8.

Den of Geek offers details and speculation here: "Supergirl Season 5: Release Date, Cast, Story, Villain, and News"

Views: 259

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Watching the Supergirl season premiere. Lena Luthor is bent out of shape that it was Lex, not Kara, who told her Kara is Supergirl -- so bent out of shape she sells CatCo to an old frenemy, Andrea Rojas. Thus follows some really ham-fisted moralizing about Rojas's vision of CatCo. Journalism? Schmournalism. Rojas wants to turn all of CatCo into a clickbait site. Journalism? Schmournalism. If it ain't getting subscriptions and click, it ain't worth squat. 

Lena's sale is meant to facilitate Supergirl's downfall, by leaking her secret identity to the world at a party in Kara's honor for getting a Pullet Surprise. (By the way, Rojas is not impressed that Kara got the award; she cites it as a reason CatCo's newspaper subscriber numbers are down.) Lena, however, stays her hand on the reveal, because Kara pours out her heart to Lena, declaring how sorry she is for keeping Lena in the dark for so long. Unfortunately, by episode's end, Lena is still mad; she just won't show it to Kara.

Also, Ron Troupe -- I mean James (Not Jimmy) Olsen -- quits, because he can't stomach CatCo's new direction. Rojas previously declared the whole staff is on new three-year contracts with non-compete clauses, and tells James "You'll never work in journalism again." The problem there is, the new owner of a company can change the terms of employment, but first must end the old terms. The Captain and I have first-hand experience and know plenty of real-world examples of that kind of restructuring, where everyone has to reapply for their jobs.

But "non-compete clauses"? They are illegal in California, and are probably unenforceable. Although that doesn't stop companies from imposing them. Heck, even the Jimmy John's sandwich chain requires them, as if there's some trade secret in placing meat and vegetables on a bun and wrapping it in paper. 

I was at first disappointed that Lena’s grudge against Kara/Supergirl was apparently going to be the sub-plot of the season.

Then I was encouraged when it was dealt with so quickly (in the first episode of the season, I mean) and in such a mature fashion.

Then I was disappointed again when it turned out Lena was faking her acceptance of Kara’s apology.

I agree. Lena seemed reasonable at first. But she holds a grudge because she's a Luther? I guess we're supposed to just accept that she's genetically EVIL.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I was at first disappointed that Lena’s grudge against Kara/Supergirl was apparently going to be the sub-plot of the season.

Then I was encouraged when it was dealt with so quickly (in the first episode of the season, I mean) and in such a mature fashion.

Then I was disappointed again when it turned out Lena was faking her acceptance of Kara’s apology.

I didn't like Lena still holding a grudge, either. Especially after that heartfelt confession and apology Kara gave. Melissa Benoist, once again, really sold Kara's earnestness and sincerity. 

I wasn't happy that Lena still didn't forgive Kara. I don't buy genetic evil. I guess she's not quite sane.

I'm not wild about her new haircut and I HATE the new costume.

Melisa Benoist plays Chronic in the Bluntman & Chronic movie-within a movie of Jay & Silent Bob Reboot, and I much prefer her costume in that one.

It's official.  The Superman and Lois spinoff that's been rumored since last year, is now in development.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/superman-and-lois-series-tyler-hoe...

There are non-compete clauses in media in Tennessee -- my BIL at a news station dealt with one -- so they exist and they apparently are enforceable. (I imagine no one's ever challenged one, as no one has the financial wherewithal to have a court battle with a network affiliate. But I don't really know.) Anyway, as CK said, you can't apply new contract terms on an employee until, you know, they sign a new contract. You can't apply them to an employee still working under his old contract. 

*shrug* Hardly the worst sin against journalism this show has committed.

Anyway, I'm OK with the new suit, although I did like all the red in the old one. They make a good point about not dressing her, as one character said, "like a cheerleader." Even though I had no problem seeing Benoist's legs every episode, because I am male. But I lean in favor of the pants for the gravitas they bring.

I do not like what I learned from a V/O bump by Melissa, though, who pronounced her name Buh-NOYST. Agh! Not at all how I thought it was pronounced!

Has the universality of the phantom zone projector/punishment already been established in the comics? I was surprised, watching the show, when it was incorporated into Martian culture. Did I miss some dialogue that explained this?

It was new to me, too.

But I was distracted. Sean Astin looking old had me feeling 150 years old. 

Is Leviathan on this show the same as the one in current comics?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service