From Variety.com:

MARCH 6, 2015 | 01:00PM PT
Elizabeth Wagmeister
@EWagmeister

“Supergirl” has finally arrived.

The first photos of Melissa Benoist as Supergirl were released Friday, just as production begins on the CBS pilot, which is based on characters from DC Comics.

The costume (pictured) was designed by three-time Oscar winner Colleen Atwood, who also designed the suits for two other DC Comics television properties, “The Flash” and “Arrow” of the CW.

Atwood, who’s been nominated for Academy Awards an additional eight times, was also the costume designer behind “Into the Woods,” “Snow White and the Huntsman,” “Alice in Wonderland,” “Memoirs of a Geisha” and “Chicago,” among others.

“Supergirl,” in contention for the 2015-16 season, follows Kara Danvers/Kara Zor-El (Benoist, “Glee,” “Whiplash”), Superman’s cousin, at age 24, when she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be, after leaving Krypton and hiding her powers.

Other series regulars include Calista Flockhart (“Ally McBeal,” “Brothers & Sisters”), who will play Kara’s tough boss at CatCo, Cat Grant; Mehcad Brooks (“Desparate Housewives,” “True Blood”), who will co-star as Kara’s love interest, Jimmy Olsen; Chyler Leigh (“Grey’s Anatomy”), who’s been cast as Kara’s doctor sister, Alex Danvers; and David Harewood (“Homeland”), as supervillain Hank Henshaw, better known as Cyborg Superman in the DC Comics world.

Laura Benanti will appear in a major recurring arc, playing Kara’s birth mother, Alura Zor-El.

Helen Slater, who starred in the 1984 “Supergirl” feature, and Superman vet Dean Cain (“Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman”) are set for secret roles.

The project hails from exec producers and writers Greg Berlanti (“The Flash,” “Arrow”), Ali Adler and Andrew Kreisberg. Sarah Schechter will also serve as an exec producer, and Glen Winter will direct the pilot. Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television will produce.

Views: 5784

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"I find it hard to believe that Cat still has any doubts about who Supergirl is."

Realistically, sure, but that’s part of the willing suspension of disbelief concerning the Superman mythos in general and this show in particular. At least they made an attempt to explain it, and my take is the longer Cat lives with that belief, the more concrete it will become.

Regarding the ramifications in future episodes, I’m glad they didn’t let the “competitor” sub-plot runn for too much longer before moving it to the next level. Even before I saw her in the next episode preview, I knew we hadn’t seen the last of her.

The more I watch Melissa Benoist, the more impressed I am with her acting range.

I'm not sure how I feel about Red K being artificially created by Max Lord.

As for Cat not realizing Kara is Supergirl, remember when the Martian Manhunter impersonated Kara (and learned to walk in high heels) so that Cat could see them both at the same time? Since Cat isn't aware of a local shapeshifter, she rationally isn't thinking of them being the same person. She should wonder why Kara has gone back to dowdy clothes. I certainly wouldn't have a problem with her continuing with the Red K wardrobe.

If Cat knows who Supergirl is, she's probably keeping it to herself. What's hard to believe, though, is that Lucy Lane doesn't know who Kara is.

A couple of other things:

* Kara flicking peanuts into bottles of liquor is lifted entirely from Superman III.

* The actress who played Indigo is the same one who played Supergirl on Smallville. She seems to have lost the cleft in her chin. (True story: My wife is the one who said she seems to have had surgical help on her bustline. I frankly didn't notice.)

* The Fortress of Krypton now has the Silver Age statue of Lara and Jor-El holding up a globe of Krypton in the entryway. Everything was white, so it's hard to pick out details, but that's what it looked like to me.

* Since Siobhan's name is pronounced "Shvaugn," I didn't realize until I saw the spelling who she's destined to be: Silver Banshee.

* Benoist did a great acting job on red kryptonite. Good to know that the central character has some acting chops.

Captain Comics said:

* Kara flicking peanuts into bottles of liquor is lifted entirely from Superman III.

You mean ... this scene?

I guess I blocked out most of Superman III (and all of Superman IV).

This coming Monday we will find out what happened to Jeremiah Danvers (Dean Cain) and the real Hank Henshaw, and how J'onn J'onzz took over his identity.

The following Monday will have the guest appearance of the Flash!

Well, the March 21 episode delivered a lot and information and a lot of changes. And that's an understatement!

I was surprised (and disheartened) to learn that Supergirl isn't doing well in the ratings.

I knew we'd see Dean Cain again, just as I knew his character wasn't dead.

Supergirl is up against The Voice and, of course, Gotham.

i see that the TVLine website thinks it is a "sure thing" to be renewed.

On the other hand, Supergirl has been renewed for another season

Richard Willis said:

I guess I blocked out most of Superman III (and all of Superman IV).

As I've said before, I've seen worse movies before then, and worse movies since then, but Superman III was the first movie that made me feel like I got robbed.

ClarkKent_DC said:On the other hand, Supergirl has been renewed for another season!

Good to hear. TVLine isn't reflecting that yet.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service