From Variety.com:

MARCH 6, 2015 | 01:00PM PT
Elizabeth Wagmeister
@EWagmeister

“Supergirl” has finally arrived.

The first photos of Melissa Benoist as Supergirl were released Friday, just as production begins on the CBS pilot, which is based on characters from DC Comics.

The costume (pictured) was designed by three-time Oscar winner Colleen Atwood, who also designed the suits for two other DC Comics television properties, “The Flash” and “Arrow” of the CW.

Atwood, who’s been nominated for Academy Awards an additional eight times, was also the costume designer behind “Into the Woods,” “Snow White and the Huntsman,” “Alice in Wonderland,” “Memoirs of a Geisha” and “Chicago,” among others.

“Supergirl,” in contention for the 2015-16 season, follows Kara Danvers/Kara Zor-El (Benoist, “Glee,” “Whiplash”), Superman’s cousin, at age 24, when she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be, after leaving Krypton and hiding her powers.

Other series regulars include Calista Flockhart (“Ally McBeal,” “Brothers & Sisters”), who will play Kara’s tough boss at CatCo, Cat Grant; Mehcad Brooks (“Desparate Housewives,” “True Blood”), who will co-star as Kara’s love interest, Jimmy Olsen; Chyler Leigh (“Grey’s Anatomy”), who’s been cast as Kara’s doctor sister, Alex Danvers; and David Harewood (“Homeland”), as supervillain Hank Henshaw, better known as Cyborg Superman in the DC Comics world.

Laura Benanti will appear in a major recurring arc, playing Kara’s birth mother, Alura Zor-El.

Helen Slater, who starred in the 1984 “Supergirl” feature, and Superman vet Dean Cain (“Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman”) are set for secret roles.

The project hails from exec producers and writers Greg Berlanti (“The Flash,” “Arrow”), Ali Adler and Andrew Kreisberg. Sarah Schechter will also serve as an exec producer, and Glen Winter will direct the pilot. Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television will produce.

Views: 6304

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good question. Perhaps he used a space ship.

First, he's a big man with big lungs who's been practicing this stuff for some time, so he might be able to hold his breath (or has trained himself to breathe Zen-like) until he reaches where he's going.

The later series had him occasionally using oxygen equipment to fly in space, or he might have the aforementioned space ship.

The lesson here is two-fold:

1. Don't ask, just watch it!

2. Don't you dare try to take "space missions" away from me as a perfectly good answer for where Superman has been all season!

-- MSA

As to Supergirl moving, the problem is going to be that CBS wants budget cuts to match its ratings levels, which might not be good for a show needing special effects. It could lead to crooks emptying their guns at her and then her ducking when they throw them at her.
OTOH, if they move it to CW (which makes a huge amount of sense), it also would need budget cuts. But Flash seems to do well enough with SFX. It certainly would make it easier to do crossovers with yet another show, which I think helps them all..
As long as it doesn't disappear (and doesn't become a bunch of CW jibber-jabber to cover that they have no budget), I don't care where it is. I usually watch it by going to my cable's On-Demand line-up  and scrolling through the "S" section.
-- MSA

I considered the option that [TV's] Superman can maybe fly in space under his own power but dismissed it because of the explanation of why Supergirl couldn't. (Apparently she needs the gravity of a planet to "push against.") If that's going to be the explanation, sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. "I canna change the laws of [superhero] physics!"

Yes, I like Alex mentioning that Supergirl wouldn't be able to get any "thrust" out in space. I put my hands over my ears and went Lalalalala not listening! That seems to work best for me when they want to talk about this stuff, which they really, really shouldn't. It leads nowhere good.

Again, Superman may have more thrust capabilities after a decade or so of flying that Kara doesn't have after a few months. Maybe he was just visiting the moon.

Maybe they meant Superman was on a "space" mission as in inner-space and he was visiting the mole people? Work with me here, people.

-- MSA

"Superman may have more thrust capabilities after a decade or so of flying..."

...and perhaps that's not only how he flies, but how he flies faster. ;)

If Supergirl moves, I hope it changes production companies, too -- the wire work on her show is pretty bad, and it's really good on Arrow/Flash and some other shows, like Into the Badlands.

Incidentally, MSA, I'm guessing you don't watch Archer, or you'd have already commented on a scene last week, where the team is threatened by a cyborg (who looks just like a Terminator, which is commented on). Archer shoots him until his clip empties, with the bullets bouncing off. The cyborg -- named Barry -- comments as he's shooting how useless shooting him in, and he hears the click-click-click of the empty gun, says, “You want to throw it at me now, you know, like the old-timey ‘Superman’?”

Naturally, Archer does.

That's apparently even more of a classic than I realized. The problem of course isn't the throwing of the gun, it's that he ducks. Because, you know, it might hurt.

Just once I wish they'd given the crook a rubber gun so it could've bounced off his forehead without him flinching. I think we may think about these things more than they thought about these things.

-- MSA

Just saw that Archer episode last night! That show's a blast.

I think every little kid, no matter when they first saw it, snarked about Superman ducking.

But the throwing of the gun is pretty stupid in its own right.

Mr. Silver Age said:

That's apparently even more of a classic than I realized. The problem of course isn't the throwing of the gun, it's that he ducks. Because, you know, it might hurt.

Just once I wish they'd given the crook a rubber gun so it could've bounced off his forehead without him flinching. I think we may think about these things more than they thought about these things.

-- MSA

Captain Comics said:

I think every little kid, no matter when they first saw it, snarked about Superman ducking.

But the throwing of the gun is pretty stupid in its own right.

Mr. Silver Age said:

-- MSA

Boy, how quickly you guys forget!

http://captaincomics.ning.com/profiles/blogs/deck-log-entry-156-but...

And I put a lot of effort into clearing up that ducking-the-gun business, too.

Now that you mention it, I do remember your column on that, and I enjoyed it (although, come on, Commander, it was three years ago, I don't have room in my mental closet for three-year-old columns if I'm going to remember who Wonder Woman and Supergirl fought in B&B!). \

But, as you point out, it DID happen, and it was a funny scene that summed up the low-budget, kid-targeted special effects for me, so it stuck with me. 

As I told CapCom, I didn't realize it had become a pervasive meme about the show. I don't know that people generally think it happened every time they emptied their gun, but that one scene has become more popular than it probably should to be considered a routine thing.

I knew that he hadn't killed himself thinking he was Superman, too. The at/in swap is easy to understand, as they say it quickly. Kind of like how "try to" has now routinely become "try and" in everything, even though it makes no sense. At least IN a single bound makes sense!

It'll be hard to correct people when there are sources confounding it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800085/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Able_to_leap_tall_buildi...

-- MSA

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
1 hour ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"Read a handful of comics on the train today -- some new, some old. Elvira in Horrorland 3:…"
2 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion "The Flash" movie star Ezra Miller busted for burglary
"Warner Brothers Discovery is considering its options, per The Hollywood Reporter, and scrapping The…"
4 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to The Baron's discussion The List of Super-Hero Teams
"Two more from Saturday mornings: Monster Squad Drak Pack  (Both based on Dracula, Frankenstein…"
5 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of Super-Hero Teams
"Added the Following: The Agents of W.O.N.D.E.R. The Atomics Knights of Justice Justice League…"
7 hours ago
"Added the Midnight Sons."
8 hours ago
PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod replied to Emerkeith Davyjack's discussion All-purpose newspaper strips discussion
"Curtis was a horror movie host on a Jackson TN TV station in 1974."
9 hours ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Another staple of any carnival or fair is the food yet, even back when I could of eaten all that…"
12 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Emerkeith Davyjack's discussion All-purpose newspaper strips discussion
"Mike Curtis is still the writer. Joe Staton left the strip in October 2021. Shelley…"
13 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Tubular, man!"
13 hours ago
"Ah, OK.  Inever thought of themas heroes, because they were always fighting the X-Men."
14 hours ago
Peter Wrexham replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"The name of the comic may be Carousel, but the ride looks more like a roller coaster to me!"
14 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service