From Variety.com:

MARCH 6, 2015 | 01:00PM PT
Elizabeth Wagmeister
@EWagmeister

“Supergirl” has finally arrived.

The first photos of Melissa Benoist as Supergirl were released Friday, just as production begins on the CBS pilot, which is based on characters from DC Comics.

The costume (pictured) was designed by three-time Oscar winner Colleen Atwood, who also designed the suits for two other DC Comics television properties, “The Flash” and “Arrow” of the CW.

Atwood, who’s been nominated for Academy Awards an additional eight times, was also the costume designer behind “Into the Woods,” “Snow White and the Huntsman,” “Alice in Wonderland,” “Memoirs of a Geisha” and “Chicago,” among others.

“Supergirl,” in contention for the 2015-16 season, follows Kara Danvers/Kara Zor-El (Benoist, “Glee,” “Whiplash”), Superman’s cousin, at age 24, when she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be, after leaving Krypton and hiding her powers.

Other series regulars include Calista Flockhart (“Ally McBeal,” “Brothers & Sisters”), who will play Kara’s tough boss at CatCo, Cat Grant; Mehcad Brooks (“Desparate Housewives,” “True Blood”), who will co-star as Kara’s love interest, Jimmy Olsen; Chyler Leigh (“Grey’s Anatomy”), who’s been cast as Kara’s doctor sister, Alex Danvers; and David Harewood (“Homeland”), as supervillain Hank Henshaw, better known as Cyborg Superman in the DC Comics world.

Laura Benanti will appear in a major recurring arc, playing Kara’s birth mother, Alura Zor-El.

Helen Slater, who starred in the 1984 “Supergirl” feature, and Superman vet Dean Cain (“Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman”) are set for secret roles.

The project hails from exec producers and writers Greg Berlanti (“The Flash,” “Arrow”), Ali Adler and Andrew Kreisberg. Sarah Schechter will also serve as an exec producer, and Glen Winter will direct the pilot. Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television will produce.

Views: 5860

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yahoo asks "Who's not curious about this one?", says Supergirl has one of the more complicated backstories, and tells the producer that he'd better have Streaky show up.

Why am I suddenly thinking about Patience Phillips?

Note that there has never been a successful superheroine movie.

True. Even the Powerpuff Girls movie was a box office failure.

Ron M. said:

There have been two reasonably successful superheroine TV series - Wonder Woman with Lynda Carter, and The Bionic Woman.

I think My Little Pony can qualify as a heroine movie, or at least a group heroine movie.  The only male in regular cast is Spike.

What sort of tone the series is going to have is the big question.  

Ron M. said:

Randy Jackson said:

True. Even the Powerpuff Girls movie was a box office failure.

What about the Lara Croft: Tomb Raider movies?

If Lara Croft is a superhero then so are Professor Challenger, Lemuel Gulliver, and Tom Sawyer.

I think they are in a way.  No powers but extraordinary adventures.  

Ron M. said:

If Lara Croft is a superhero then so are Professor Challenger, Lemuel Gulliver, and Tom Sawyer.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer was a successful superheroine TV series as well.

I'm obviously with those who think the costume is too dark. Making it important that Supergirl have a street-level sensibility either means they've gone horribly off the rails or she won't have that much power.

The Super costume is supposed to be a beacon of hope; you see that flash of bright red and blue, and you decide not to rob the bank. It's supposed to be highly visible, especially since shooting at it when you see it does you more harm than good. Are they afraid that viewers won't follow a hero wearing bright colors? The Flash manages it pretty well.

Otherwise, I like the costume. The boots are a wacky nod to the early 70s costume-a-go-go period, and the emblem is the right size. Alex Ross inspired Big Blue's emblem to get wayyy too big, but this one looks good. I don't even mind that they got rid of the yellow background, since it's outlined in yellow, I just wish it was on a brighter blue.

The movie only did so-so, 16 million gross against a 7 million dollar budget.

Captain Comics said:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer was a successful superheroine TV series as well.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service