From Variety.com:

MARCH 6, 2015 | 01:00PM PT
Elizabeth Wagmeister
@EWagmeister

“Supergirl” has finally arrived.

The first photos of Melissa Benoist as Supergirl were released Friday, just as production begins on the CBS pilot, which is based on characters from DC Comics.

The costume (pictured) was designed by three-time Oscar winner Colleen Atwood, who also designed the suits for two other DC Comics television properties, “The Flash” and “Arrow” of the CW.

Atwood, who’s been nominated for Academy Awards an additional eight times, was also the costume designer behind “Into the Woods,” “Snow White and the Huntsman,” “Alice in Wonderland,” “Memoirs of a Geisha” and “Chicago,” among others.

“Supergirl,” in contention for the 2015-16 season, follows Kara Danvers/Kara Zor-El (Benoist, “Glee,” “Whiplash”), Superman’s cousin, at age 24, when she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be, after leaving Krypton and hiding her powers.

Other series regulars include Calista Flockhart (“Ally McBeal,” “Brothers & Sisters”), who will play Kara’s tough boss at CatCo, Cat Grant; Mehcad Brooks (“Desparate Housewives,” “True Blood”), who will co-star as Kara’s love interest, Jimmy Olsen; Chyler Leigh (“Grey’s Anatomy”), who’s been cast as Kara’s doctor sister, Alex Danvers; and David Harewood (“Homeland”), as supervillain Hank Henshaw, better known as Cyborg Superman in the DC Comics world.

Laura Benanti will appear in a major recurring arc, playing Kara’s birth mother, Alura Zor-El.

Helen Slater, who starred in the 1984 “Supergirl” feature, and Superman vet Dean Cain (“Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman”) are set for secret roles.

The project hails from exec producers and writers Greg Berlanti (“The Flash,” “Arrow”), Ali Adler and Andrew Kreisberg. Sarah Schechter will also serve as an exec producer, and Glen Winter will direct the pilot. Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television will produce.

Views: 6417

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mr. Silver Age said:

The public's reacceptance of Supergirl was a definite contrast to BvS.

Supergirl very clearly was ready to sacrifice herself for the bystanders. They in turn protected her. No ambiguity there.

It did show more awareness than she's known for, but she has moments. I thought it also was funny that she figured out that Barry was the Flash. I mean, it WAS pretty apparent, but Cat's not supposed to be that insightful It also seemed to be another indication that Kara is Supergirl, but she again didn't make that connection (although her speech about how aware of things she is was a nice touch).

Since J'onn J'onzz shapeshifted as Kara Danvers while Supergirl was also present, it will probably take a lot to make Cat think they are the same person.

Ronald Morgan said:

Barry Allen and Supergirl are from different worlds now? Shall we call them Earth-CBS and Earth-CW?

It's been clear from the start that a lot of Kryptonians aren't running around on Barry's Earth(s). Even if both shows were on The CW they likely would not share a world. Kara and her cousin would overwhelm all of the threats on the Flash and Arrow shows pretty easily.

Flash already has Earth-1 and Earth-2 (and Supergirl may end up on the CW if CBS doesn't renew it). My vote is for Earth-1 and Earth-S.

I wonder how likely it would be for the CW to pick it up? It seems a natural, but it might be too expensive. OTOH, if CBS knows that's a possibility, it might encourage them to hold onto it rather than look bad giving up on a show that becomes successful (although it takes less to be successful on the CW).

Having the younger Flash name his Earth to be Earth-1 always struck me as a little egotistical in the comics. I often wondered what those older heroes thought of being #2. In the show, I'm surprised Wells goes along with it. I'd expect him to call where he's from Earth-A. It'd make a funny point of conflict, but they skipped it.

-- MSA

Somebody back then (Julius Schwartz maybe, I'm sure I read it in CBG) said they should have made the 40s universe Earth-1, but by the time they realized that it was much too late to switch it. I think the argument for it was Barry was the one that discovered Jay's world so he got to claim his Earth as number one.

“I wonder how likely it would be for the CW to pick it up?”

The article I read (before the crossover aired) said that SG has been losing viewers steadily from week-to-week and had dropped below the 10,000,000 viewer mark, the usual cut-off mark for CBS cancellations. As you point out, it takes fewer viewers to be a success on the CW; the article said even 6,000,000 would be a huge success.

“Having the younger Flash name his Earth to be Earth-1 always struck me as a little egotistical in the comics.”

“I think the argument for it was Barry was the one that discovered Jay's world so he got to claim his Earth as number one.”

I agree with the second statement. It’s kind of meta-textual that the world in which superheroes appeared first be designated “one.” Why should that make a difference? What if two non-super-powered scientists were the ones who had crossed over and met?

Oh, also that article indicated the the season one finale sets up season two.

Mr. Silver Age said:

Flash already has Earth-1 and Earth-2 (and Supergirl may end up on the CW if CBS doesn't renew it). My vote is for Earth-1 and Earth-S.

I wonder how likely it would be for the CW to pick it up? It seems a natural, but it might be too expensive. OTOH, if CBS knows that's a possibility, it might encourage them to hold onto it rather than look bad giving up on a show that becomes successful (although it takes less to be successful on the CW).

Networks are not afraid of looking bad giving up on a show that could become successful elsewhere if holding onto it now means low ratings. Just look at Constantine

The problem for any new show on CBS is that it has so many long-running shows, it can't find places for all the new ones it might want to try. So any new show that does get a shot has to prove itself right away. I think and hope Supergirl has a shot at CBS.

Barry can name his world Earth-One if he likes but why would anyone on another Earth go along with that?

Jeff of Earth-J said:

“I wonder how likely it would be for the CW to pick it up?”

The article I read (before the crossover aired) said that SG has been losing viewers steadily from week-to-week and had dropped below the 10,000,000 viewer mark, the usual cut-off mark for CBS cancellations. As you point out, it takes fewer viewers to be a success on the CW; the article said even 6,000,000 would be a huge success.

“Having the younger Flash name his Earth to be Earth-1 always struck me as a little egotistical in the comics.”

“I think the argument for it was Barry was the one that discovered Jay's world so he got to claim his Earth as number one.”

I agree with the second statement. It’s kind of meta-textual that the world in which superheroes appeared first be designated “one.” Why should that make a difference? What if two non-super-powered scientists were the ones who had crossed over and met?

It’s kind of meta-textual that the world in which superheroes appeared first be designated “one.”

But he was the first Flash, so when two Flashes meet, it seems to make sense that Jay would be "Flash-1" Granted, it would be different if two random scientists met, but they didn't.

But yes, I suppose the person who "discovers" things that always existed gets to name them. That's how we got America and Indians, so why not?

Networks are not afraid of looking bad giving up on a show that could become successful elsewhere 

I was thinking there might be some element of pride or protection involved, but ratings are ratings. They might WANT the CW to pick it up, so the DVDs of Season #1 sell better (I guess that presumes CBS has some stake in that. Those things are always too complicated for me).

Or, in my make-believe world of network benevolence, they might be happy about the shift because they don't have to prop up the show but all the cast and crew still have jobs.

I think and hope Supergirl has a shot at CBS.

It seems to fit their style, although they seem to fight that on occasion. It's possible the good reviews and recent publicity of being the anti-BvS will bring in some viewers. The possibility for cancellation and the outcry also might attract people who want to see what the fuss is about.

-- MSA

I've never understood the notion that---within the fictional conceit of the comics/television series---the parallel Earths should be numbered according to which world developed super-heroes first.  What would that have to do with it?  Why not the Earth that invented paper clips first?  Or the first Earth to create the game of pinochle? 

Giving them numbers or letters is simpler than having to explain "the Earth where all of the superheroes are twenty years older than us" or "the Earth where we're all bad guys" every time you mention another world to somebody.

Ideally, it doesn't come up that much, because it's not that easy to get there. They could have made it Earth-Z for Zoom, which also makes sense since it's ideally the opposite of their Earth.

That approach also makes sense now that they know there are more than two Earths, which will make their coding more difficult. OTOH,  they might've just said "Other Earth," which is handy but stops working once they've got a third. So they were smart to start numbering them all.

Even in the SA, after Earth-3, they started finding other coding, Nowadays, they seem to give each one a number, which makes it really hard to remember.

-- MSA

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion To be... HULK-inued!
"#102: "Only have seconds to live! My entire life... flashing before my eyes... Betty Ross...…"
6 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Tales to Astonish
"THE INCREDIBLE HULK #102 - "Big Premiere Issue!" The conclusion of this story takes me…"
18 minutes ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I guess medical comics can cover many genres. (Image courtesy of the Grand Comics Database.)"
48 minutes ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Allow me to introduce another nurse. Here's Linda Lark."
1 hour ago
Irma Kruhl replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I loved the Mary Robins RN serial, with all that great John Romita Sr. art. The Mary Robin stories…"
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Before someone beats me to it..."
2 hours ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
2 hours ago
"#101: "I've become Bruce Banner again!! I-I'm falling--into the yawning chasm…"
3 hours ago
"ISSUE #101 - "Asgard" As Banner awakens, the moon has crested the horizon. Loki, while…"
3 hours ago
"#100: You begin to come to. You're groggy. You're on a beach. The sun is setting. A man…"
5 hours ago
"ISSUE #100: I recently covered this one from another angle. I wasn't all that thrilled with…"
6 hours ago
"You're not wrong. Modern continuity has it that Banner's influence is always working…"
6 hours ago

© 2023   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service