A confluence of events:

1) The understandable to-do that's arisen over the whole Starfire and Catwoman depictions in the new DC books has put a lot of attention on superhero comics being written and drawn by men for men (or men-children, as the case may be), with little apparent regard for any feminist politics that may be put out of joint.

2) My lovely wife is mentoring a young lady who's just entering her senior year of college. This young lady, a Creative Writing major, is going to write a graphic novel for her senior project — she apparently is recently into comics, and really likes superheroes (primarily Marvel), so wants to go in that direction. Jen, being a good mentor, is picking my brain on creators, comics, and comic-related stuff (podcasts, blogs, local shops, etc.) to point her to.

My various recommendations led Jen to observe, "There really aren't a lot of superhero comics by women, for women, are there?" I'll admit I couldn't think of a lot, and that combined with item one above got me contemplating it. So while I think about the topic myself, I'm putting it out to you, my fellows: what are some comics by women, for women, that fall within the broader genre trappings of superhero-y comics?

Views: 898

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In the 90s Elizabeth Hand co-wrote the DC title Anima with Paul Witcover for DC.

Sarah Byam wrote the 1991 Black Canary mini and most of the 1993 Black Canary series.

Jo Duffy wrote the opening issues of the 1993 Catwoman series. Devin Grayson had a run on the title in the late 90s. Bronwyn Carlton had a run on it in the early oughts.

(corrected)

In the early 90s Barbara Kesel wrote a DC/TSR fantasy series called Spelljammer. In the oughts she wrote Meridian for Crossgen, a fantasy series with a superpowered heroine.

Jill Thompson drew the 1993 Black Orchid mini, but the mini was written by Dick Foreman.

Cindy Groff wrote the 1994 Metropolis S.C.U. mini

http://www.themarysue.com/

I forgot to add this one to comic sites focused on female fans...

Don't limit yourself by a strict adherance to both criteria.

Comics by Women for Everyone: 

Wandering Star by Teri S. Wood: I don't know if it's ever been collected, but this Star Warsy sci-fi proves comics aren;t for just boys.

Vogelein by Jane Irwin: Will appeal to girls and woman alike.

Miss Fury by Tarpe Mills: 1940s Sunday newspaper strip; see discussion elsewhere in this forum.

Comics by Men for Anyone (but which appeal to Women): Anything by Terry Moore. Strangers in Paradise is good but long; but Echo is equally good, but shorter and possibly therefore more accessable; Rachel Rising is only just getting started (onlytwo issues so far, as of last Wednesday).

Elaine Lee wrote a 1994 series for Vertigo called Vamps which was apparently about female vampires. 

Anything by Colleen Doran, I'd say, but in particular, I'd look at her A Distant Soil comics.

Wandering Star has been collected, but I don't think recently, and I'm not sure about completely, either. I have at least one really flimsy, ill-bound trade paperback of it somewhere.

Rachel Hartmann's wonderful mini-comic, Amy Unbounded, is a delight. There was one trade made of it, and it's definitely worth seeking out.

(But none of those are superheroes, I now realize.)

Oh! I missed the "superheroes" part and read "comics." I still think Tarpe Mills costumed adventuress Miss Fury would qualify, though. Ramona Fradon drew Aquaman for years, but she was "just" the artist. I'll have to give some more thought to the "superhero" angle.

Linda Fite (Herb Tripme's wife) wrote The Cat (who later became Tigra the Were-Woman) for Marvel Comics, but again, that's a superhero comic (1) written by a woman (2), but not necessarily for women (3).

www.comicsbeat.com/2011/09/30/the-day-in-gender-battles-fight-the-c...

Here's a roundup of opinions about the portrayal of certain female characters (i.e. Starfire, Catwoman) in the DC reboot. The most sensible comment is from Image's publisher, who says that if certain comics offend you, "Starve them. ... STOP SUPPORTING THEM." In other words, find something else to spend your money on.

Amen.

...2B technical , IIRC Fite scripted to a Roy Thomas plot .

The later issues ? The never-published 5th (which I've seen an art repro from) ?????

I've given this matter some thought since yesterday and I still feel the requirements are too limiting. It has been my observation that most women prefer other genres to superheroes. Your best bet is to examine a run of a long-running woman superhero title, find a run that's written by a woman and pretend it's written for women, or loosen your parameters. For example, Sam Keith's Four Women is non-superhero (1), written by a man (2), but should appeal to women (3). Ya takes what ya can gets.
Buffy's a superhero as far as I'm concerned, and a fine run of her series was written by Jane Espenson. There's no question that Buffy has a huge female readership.

I wonder how much of early Wonder Woman was a collaboration between Marston, his wife, and her lover? Morrison mentions their 'indispensable input' in 'Supergods'.

No superhero comics for women? This is not good, boys!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service