I found this for four bucks at Half Price Books and thought I'd give it a try.

Bottom line: I LOVED IT.

I remember this was universally panned when it came out. The only thing I can imagine is that, when people read it, they took it to be a normal Superman, straight-laced, Elseworlds comic book. When I read it, I read it as a quirky British comedy with the dry British humor. With main writer Kim "Howard" Johnson with a bit of help from John Cleese, I have to imagine that's how it was meant.

The art was by John Byrne, but it was inked by Mark Farmer, so it looked quite different from any Byrne art I've ever seen. Also, it looked far cartoonier than Byrne's usual fare.

Did anybody else read this? It came out originally in 2004.

Views: 531

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This wasn't a miniseries; it was a one-shot graphic novel. It came out in 2004 so it's not surprising it's out of print, but cheap used copies are available. Hit me up offline if you want and we can arrange for me to see if the store where I got mine still has any.

I just looked. Amazon.com has copies available for both the Superman True Brit TPB and the collections of the "Brit" title, which is not the same thing. They are available.

I found my copy of Superman: True Brit at Half Price Books for four bucks.

Those Grecian hootenannies can get pretty wild, I hear ...

I haven't read Superman True Brit. From the reviews I'm not sure I'd enjoy it. Maybe I'll try to get a cheap copy.

I have thought of myself as an American since I was four years old, but my family's heritage is English, as are all of my blood relatives. I hope I'm wrong, but some of the comments seem to imply that Clark learned to be a good guy only because his adoptive parents were American. Certainly the Kents were fine people and his adoptive parents in this story were not. If the True Brit Clark didn't get his values from his parents, where did they come from? From the Kryptonian parents he didn't remember? From his DNA?

I have always thought that Clark is the real guy and Superman is the disguise. Everything he does is informed by his upbringing. I just don't like the implication that British values are inferior.

I never once got that out of this book. There are some "baddies", like the Perry White analog, but no more than you'd have in the American version of Superman (Morgan Edge, Steve Lombard, etc.).

Richard Willis said:

I have always thought that Clark is the real guy and Superman is the disguise. Everything he does is informed by his upbringing. I just don't like the implication that British values are inferior.

Thank you, Alexandra. Those are insights I did not pick up on when reading this story.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Captain Comics replied to Captain Comics's discussion Comics Guide: Oct. 3-10, 2022
"I've seen 'em both, but I really only remember Damn Yankees. I saw Bedazzled on TV when I…"
2 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Captain Comics's discussion Comics Guide: Oct. 3-10, 2022
"SAGA VOL. 10 TP I read the first trade and liked it. But I've become a collection snob and…"
2 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 754 Super-Heroines
"Added Retro Girl and the Phantom."
3 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 754 Super-Heroines
"Added the Valkyrie and the Sky Witch from Top:The Forty-Niners. It just occurred to me…"
3 hours ago
Captain Comics replied to Captain Comics's discussion Comics Guide: Oct. 3-10, 2022
"Hahahahahaha! *wipes away tears* Thanks, Bob, I needed that."
3 hours ago
Captain Comics replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 752 Super-Heroines
"Retro Girl. (Sorry for all the individual posts. Thinking, thinking, thinking!)"
3 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 752 Super-Heroines
"Cool. I will add her."
3 hours ago
Captain Comics replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 752 Super-Heroines
"The Phantom (Julie Walker)."
3 hours ago
"Sorry again, she's at number 420 on the list."
3 hours ago
"Sorry, she's currently number 667 on the list."