Has anyone noticed a small one-dollar book that snuck onto the shelves this month?

It's part of the Hundred Penny press reprint line from IDW.

It's a reprinting of THUNDER Agents #1....featuring Dynamo, Noman and the Iron Maiden....

How nice to see it in a cheap format... and does this lead into another collection of the Wally Wood material?

Views: 383

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, if all the bodies were gone the mind had nowhere to go. So that would "kill" NoMan. I don't recall any serious paranoia about that in the original series, but it was a disjointed affair and there could have been a story or two dealing with it. That might have been a factor in later iterations, too.

I picked up all the THUNDER archives at good prices recently, but haven't had time to really delve into them. I seem to recall something about the many mind transfers having a deteriorating effect on his mind, but I may not be remembering correctly. I know that if the body that was killed happened to be wearing the invisibility cloak he had to figure out how to retrieve it, since there was only one of those.

I remember the invisibility cloak dilemma, as it was a strong part of the early NoMan stories.

I also vaguely remember the other things you're mentioning, like the mind deterioration thing, but not strongly, leading me to believe those stores occurred in non-Tower THUNDER comics. That's because I've read the Tower stuff several times, but all subsequent series only once. So when something seems vague to me, I attribute it to later series.

Also, Tower stories were all over the place. If Wally Wood wasn't doing them personally, they tended to be fairly generic and looked rushed. So there wasn't really a strong sense of ongoing subplots or genuine characterization except in the Wood stories. So I don't really remember the Tower stories establishing strong, ongoing subplots and personal problems. It was kinda hit or miss in my memory.

But I could be wrong. :)

I don't know if I read about the mind deterioration in the original comics or read about it in fan discussions. I'm only sure I have never read any THUNDER stories other than the original Tower ones.

Captain Comics said:

I also vaguely remember the other things you're mentioning, like the mind deterioration thing, but not strongly, leading me to believe those stores occurred in non-Tower THUNDER comics.

Gah! Now I'm going to have to re-read them again!

I haven't read all of the Tower comics, nor all of the post-Tower work. I recall the limited bodies mentioned once or twice, but wasn't a thread that was really explored much beyond that.

I think almost every series has NoMan losing his cloak. The first issue of the Deluxe series had that (I know because I just reread it 2 weeks ago).

The mind-deterioration thing was in a post-Tower version.

In the Tower series, there was no theoretical limit to the number of bodies NoMan could have, but there was a practical limit to the supply at any given moment. They cost over a million dollars apiece, at a time when a million dollars was real money. In one of the moon invaders series, a robot destroyed all his spare bodies in quick succession, leaving NoMan feeling unusually vulnerable. In another story, an enemy agent shot up all the spare bodies. But normally, NoMan had an extra body or two stationed at key THUNDER installations.

I was surprised that the Warlord was unmasked as a green alien-type thing in the second issue. Seems like they could have kept that mystery stringing us along for a while before the unveiling.

Craig Boldman said:

The mind-deterioration thing was in a post-Tower version.

.....there was a practical limit to the supply at any given moment.

So I guess I remember this from fan discussions of later books.

The "body supply" problem brings to mind another question. What was the distance-limit to switch between bodies?

He body-switched from Earth to the moon instantneouly with no problem, so I guess there was no distance limit, at least none that they ever reached.

The good Captain said earlier:

"Gah! Now I'm going to have to re-read them again!"

You say that as if reading comic books is a bad thing Mon Capitan.

It's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it.

Seriously, I only own a couple of the original Tower Comics (via a garage sale), and consider them a step above most of what was being done in the Silver Age. Tower (in my humble opinion) was trying to be like Marvel while attempting to cater to the broader audience DC had at the time.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but definitely a tricky tightrope to traverse.

All the other revival attempts were hit or miss, but I do like the first effort by John Carbonaro the best.

I have all the Tower books, but I was missing THUNDER #17 for a loooong time. So I read them a few times growing up. I think I read them again in hardcover, when I bought those collections because I can't keep re-reading 40-year-old books indefinitely!

But while I've got all the various reboots, I've only read all those once, and some part of my brain didn't accept them as "real" anyway. Because I'm weird.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service