I have long felt that any good online discussion of a comic book series requires at least two active participants... not just two people posting, but two actually reading along... one to provide "play-by-play" and the other "color commentary." Tracy and I have considered leading a "husband and wife" discussion for some time, but we never could get the timing right. I first alluded to it in 2008 (I remember specifically), but I didn't announce the series. At the time it would have been Terry Moore's Strangers in Paradise, but that topic has now expanded to all the titles in the SIP-verse. With 3 issues in volume one, 13 in two and 90 in three (volume three comprising eight parts itself), Strangers in Paradise would be ambitious enough, but we also hope to cover...

Echo - 30 issues

Rachel Rising - 42 issues

Motor Girl - 10 issues

Strangers in Paradise XXV - 10 issues

Five Years - 10 issues

Ever - 1 issue

Serial - 10 issues

We are approaching this with no set structure or timeframe involved. An issue at a time? A volume/series at a time? An issue a day? A volume/series/part a week? We don't know. All we know right now is that we plan to start with SIP v1 (the original three-issue limited series) sometime this weekend. the more people who participate the better the discussion is, so we invite as many of you to participate as possible, whether you read along with us or not. 

Views: 2267

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

PARKER GIRLS:

ISSUE #1:

An obviously  distraught man named Mark walks along a beach on the Turks and Caicos Islands. He meets a woman, Alex, sunning herself. She comes on to him and they agree to meet for dinner later. He continues on his way, followed by a grizzled beach bum who apparently intends to do him harm. Alex takes the man down with the familiar "fingers in the nostrils" move identifying her as a "Parker Girl." She holds his head under water with her foot until he is no longer a threat.

In Malibu, Piper May's body washes up on the beach. Former Parker Girls Cherry Hammer and Becky investigate and report to Tambi Baker. Piper was assigned to Zackary May, one of the richest men in America.

Meanwhile, Mark and Alex meet for drinks. Alex confides that he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. As a CPA for a large firm, it was easy for him to embezzle $10 million dollars. Then he got word from his doctor that there was a mix-up in the tests and that he is going to live. Unfortunately, except for $10,000, the money is gone. He tells Alex that the money went to his sister, a widow with three kids, for their security and education, but this ends up being a lie. 

Alex tells him that she is in crypto currency exchange and offers to run Mark's $10,000 up to $20 million overnight. Having nothing to lose, he agrees. He wakes up the next morning, naked, tied to his bed. "Alex" (actually Kelley) has absconded with his laptop.

The four months since I caught up (with Serial) has seemed like forever

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod replied to Emerkeith Davyjack's discussion All-purpose newspaper strips discussion
"Following are the Mutts comic strips from a couple of weeks ago."
2 hours ago
PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod replied to Emerkeith Davyjack's discussion All-purpose newspaper strips discussion
"Maybe the word "comics" is a problem, and there are those who consistently refer to them…"
2 hours ago
"So many still think all comics or animations are for kids after decades of proof otherwise."
2 hours ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
2 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Emerkeith Davyjack's discussion All-purpose newspaper strips discussion
"Jeff of Earth-J said: One of the themed "letters to the editor" columns appeared under…"
2 hours ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod)'s discussion DC's Digital Backlist
"The list of October releases came out, and it's basically all Wildstorm aside from SSoSV.…"
2 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion She-Hulk
"By the time of Marvel's 18th graphic novel in 1985, I had long since given up buying every…"
3 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to The Baron's discussion 'Are Newspapers Dying?' Thread
"Parade is joining the parade of publications moving online."
3 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to Emerkeith Davyjack's discussion All-purpose newspaper strips discussion
"Dan Piraro of Bizarro speaks to the issue on his blog: "Has Bizarro Been…"
3 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"A movie based upon this would probably have been better than the other "Phantom Menace.""
3 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to The Baron's discussion 'Are Newspapers Dying?' Thread
"We discuss this over in the thread "All-Purpose Newspaper Strips Discussion,"…"
3 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Emerkeith Davyjack's discussion All-purpose newspaper strips discussion
"Just checking through my files... The St. Louis Post-Dispatch ran comic strip polls in 1984, 1987,…"
4 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service