Well, someone has to start it...

I really liked issue 1. For one thing, I wasn't in the dark after missing the Free Comic Book Day issue (I thought they'd have reprinted that by now!). For another, I liked that while it's Green Lantern-centric, for now, at least, it doesn't require me to know the ins and outs of all the different Corps, because I just don't. I quite reading GL when the Sinestro Corps War started, and planned to but the trade paperbacks by now, but haven't yet. (Heck, vol2 just came out, didn't it?)

So as someone who *knows* the DCU, but isn't exactly in tune with some recent events, I had no problem understanding it. Bitey Guardians? I'm down with that.

My favorite scene has got to be the one in which Hal shows Barry all the heroes who've died in the time between him dying and coming back. I *loved* his reaction to Ronnie -- being the junior member of the league when he was on it, Ronnie was probably the closest person to Wally's age he fought with. He's a kid they took under their wing, and now he's gone. And then seeing Ralph and Sue... but of course, that's setting up a later scene down the line.

The one thing that bugged me was the crypt of dead supervillains the JLA has under their HQ. I don't care if it makes them easier to guard, it's just ghoulish and wrong. Why the hell would anyone want the Fiddler's body? Just guard his &%#@ fiddle, for Pete's sake!

Views: 228

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've decided to re-post my 'scoresheet' of the various Lantern Corps to date. Hope it helps. (Unfortunately, there's no font-color function here).

Red Lantern Corps (Rage/Hate)
Power Source: Central Battery on Ysmalt, Sector 2814
Entity/Avatar: unrevealed
Noted Agent(s): Atrocitus, Dex-Starr, Ratchet, Skallox, Bleez, Zilius Zox, Fury-6, Vice, Haggor, Veom.
NOTE: Upon induction, the agent's blood is expelled from the body & replaced by a napalm-like plasma, which can be spat as a weapon. As long as anger is present, the red fire burns. The blue light extinguishes the red flame.

Orange Lantern (Avarice/Greed)
Power Source: Unrevealed, originating on Okaara, Sector 2828
Entity/Avatar: Unrevealed
Primary Agent: Larfleeze aka "Agent Orange" is the only living Orange Lantern. Others that appear are energy-constructs of those he’s slain & stolen the identity of. The orange ring cannot draw power from a blue ring. The orange ring also has addictive side-effects that are unrevealed.

Sinestro Corps (Fear)
Power Source: Central Battery on Qward in the anti-matter universe aka Sector –1
Entity/Avatar: Parallax (currently split between the batteries of the four GLs from Earth)
Noted Agent(s): Sinestro, Arkillo, Low, Tekik, Maash, Tri-Eye, Murr the Melting Man, Bedovian, Slushh, Kara-Sil, Kryb, Romat-Ru, Mongul II, other Sinestro Corps members
NOTE: Inducted agents undergo intense physical & psychological reconditioning to enable them to inspire fear in others. Yellow rings have same limitations & functions as the GLC rings.

Green Lantern Corps (Willpower)
Power Source: GLC Central Battery on Oa, Sector 0; Guardians (male former Maltusians)
Entity/Avatar: Ion (embodiment of Willpower)
Noted Agent(s): Hal Jordan, Guy Gardner, John Stewart, Kyle Rayner, Arisia, Kilowog, Salaak, GLC members
NOTE: Empowered rings provide flight, force fields, energy constructs from imagination of weilder, protection from space, universal-translations of spoken languages, interstellar communications.

Blue Lanterns (Hope)
Power Source: Central Battery on Odym in Sector ???; Banished Oans Ganthet & Sayd
Noted Agent(s): Saint Walker, Brother Warth, Sister Sercy, Brother Hymm
NOTE: Blue energy can bolster, even overcharge GL rings when working in concert with the GL. Rings can also depower the yellow rings of the Sinestro Corps. The rings are fueled by the hope of all living beings. Rings only provide basic functions when not in close proximity to a GLC ring. The previously accepted Blue Lantern must enter the adjoining Sector & choose the new agent for that Sector.

Indigo Tribe (Compassion)
Power Source: Unrevealed, members use a walking-staff with a large open-mouth at the top along with a ring.
Noted Agent(s): "Indigo", others unrevealed; members have Tribe symbol tattooed visibly on their bodies.
NOTE: Members take no active role in the War of Light, except to tend to the wounded or dying. Language spoken by the Indigo Tribe is unknown by a GL ring. "Indigo” has shown ability to manipulate/absorb(?) GL & Sinestro Corps ring-energy.

Star Sapphires (Love)
Power Source: Zamarons (female former Maltusians), Central Battery on Zamaron, Sector ???
Entity/Avatar: “The Predator” (not the alien character from the 20th Century Fox films)
Noted Agent(s): Queen Aga'Po, Miri Riam, Yrra Cynril, Carol Ferris, Dela Pharon, Race, Miss Bloss, “The Lost Sapphire”
NOTE: Agents' crystal in the headband/tiara can reveal the viewer's 'true love' to them. Unrevealed if the Star Sapphire Corps is strictly-female staffed.

Black Lanterns (Death?)
Power Source: Anti-Monitor, trapped in Central Battery on Ryut, Sector 666; Rogue Oan 'Scar'
Entity/Avatar: Black Hand (as noted by the Rogue Oan ‘Scar’)
Noted Agent(s): Black Hand, [Pre-Crisis] Kal-L of Earth-2, Martian Manhunter, Aquaman I, Terra I, Firestorm I, Ralph (Elongated Man) & Sue Dibny, others. Members are resurrected dead
NOTE: Corps symbol is that of GL villain Black Hand. Members are apparently devoid of emotion. The agent is able to detect the 'dominant' emotion in their victim, and counter it with it's opposite. A ring absorbs the removed heart of their victim, which is 'filled' with an emotion that the agent does not/cannot experience. The more emotion-filled hearts the BL takes & absorbs, the more power-charge it gets. Unrevealed if a fully-charged ring functions like a GLC ring or otherwise.
Okay, I read the latest three issues of Green Lantern Corps. I don't know why, but it always takes me some momentum to get myself to start reading this book. But once I do, I crave it like no other comic out there. Fables is a lot the same with me. SO good.

Anyway, man did I ever love these issues, in particular the last one. I could totally feel and hear Guy and Kyle trying their best to stop the execution of those criminals. The yelling between them was so well done. This book adds so much to the Blackest Night storyline, but I can't get over how well Tomasi and Johns walk the line between needing to read both titles and being able to read only one. They do such a beautiful job.

LOVING Blackest Night.
Horn'd One said:
I've decided to re-post my 'scoresheet' of the various Lantern Corps to date. Hope it helps. (Unfortunately, there's no font-color function here).
I'm sure if you want to learn HTML, it's in there somewhere...
We covered it in Cap's Captain America Reborn blog post. (Where did you think we'd put it?)

<*font color*=*"color"*> use this but remove the asterisks and close those spaces. <*/font>

Let's see:

Red

Blue

Green

Yellow

Purple

Orange

Indigo

Violet
When I read this issue, I thought "wow, has Guy come a long way."

JeffCarter said:
Okay, I read the latest three issues of Green Lantern Corps. I don't know why, but it always takes me some momentum to get myself to start reading this book. But once I do, I crave it like no other comic out there. Fables is a lot the same with me. SO good.

Anyway, man did I ever love these issues, in particular the last one. I could totally feel and hear Guy and Kyle trying their best to stop the execution of those criminals. The yelling between them was so well done. This book adds so much to the Blackest Night storyline, but I can't get over how well Tomasi and Johns walk the line between needing to read both titles and being able to read only one. They do such a beautiful job.

LOVING Blackest Night.
Rich Lane said:
When I read this issue, I thought "wow, has Guy come a long way."

And yet he retains his best personality traits. He's still 100% a guy. Love that. He's the man's man of DC Comics. What's just as good is the fact that they've made Kyle into a really strong man also--no whiny, self-loathing "Am I really cut out for this" attitude anymore.
I also love Guy & Todd in this series. My problem is the dread that another writer will come along and revert them to "egotistical jerk" and "whiny insecurity."
Thanks, Rob & Dagwan. I'll see what I can do to fix it. There doesn't seem to be a Edit button for after-the-fact.
Horn'd One said:
Thanks, Rob & Dagwan. I'll see what I can do to fix it. There doesn't seem to be a Edit button for after-the-fact.
One of the not-so-great things about here is that you only have 15 minutes to edit your post. You do so by clicking on the text of your post. FYI.
Well, then it's the way it is. Next time I'll pay more attention.
and here's something that I found that I think everyone will get a good laugh at.

http://www.pvponline.com/2009/08/10/sinestro-grumpy-bear/
And it looks like that Previews has spoiled the identity of the "Big Bad" behind the Black Lanterns. And it's EXACTLY who we all thought it was.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service