Well, someone has to start it...

I really liked issue 1. For one thing, I wasn't in the dark after missing the Free Comic Book Day issue (I thought they'd have reprinted that by now!). For another, I liked that while it's Green Lantern-centric, for now, at least, it doesn't require me to know the ins and outs of all the different Corps, because I just don't. I quite reading GL when the Sinestro Corps War started, and planned to but the trade paperbacks by now, but haven't yet. (Heck, vol2 just came out, didn't it?)

So as someone who *knows* the DCU, but isn't exactly in tune with some recent events, I had no problem understanding it. Bitey Guardians? I'm down with that.

My favorite scene has got to be the one in which Hal shows Barry all the heroes who've died in the time between him dying and coming back. I *loved* his reaction to Ronnie -- being the junior member of the league when he was on it, Ronnie was probably the closest person to Wally's age he fought with. He's a kid they took under their wing, and now he's gone. And then seeing Ralph and Sue... but of course, that's setting up a later scene down the line.

The one thing that bugged me was the crypt of dead supervillains the JLA has under their HQ. I don't care if it makes them easier to guard, it's just ghoulish and wrong. Why the hell would anyone want the Fiddler's body? Just guard his &%#@ fiddle, for Pete's sake!

Views: 260

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, man, the Ventriloquist I is back? Someday I'm gonna have to read these spinoff miniseries... I love the idea of the black-light Scarface dummy!
I've been following the Blackest Night in the Blackest Night mini, Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps. I don't really have anything to add other than I've really been enjoying it. Ivan Reiss's art on Black Night has been amazing.

Question, who was the guy in issue 2 that appeared at the grave with Spectre, Zatanna, Blue Devil and Phantom Stranger? He was zombiefied but I still didn't recognize him.
If I'm remembering the scene right, that was Pariah. He was introduced in the original Crisis, cursed to teleport from dimension to dimension, warning them that the white wave of antimatter was coming. He's shown up at a few portentious times since then. At events when the Watcher would show up and stay silent, Pariah would show up and whine.
Lest it seem that I have nothing good to say about Pariah, let me add this: He taught me the definition of the word "pariah." Which is a pretty awesome word, so mad props to him.
The zombie in the cape and hood? Pariah. He was a player in Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Jason Marconnet (Lime_Coke) said:
I've been following the Blackest Night in the Blackest Night mini, Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps. I don't really have anything to add other than I've really been enjoying it. Ivan Reiss's art on Black Night has been amazing.

Question, who was the guy in issue 2 that appeared at the grave with Spectre, Zatanna, Blue Devil and Phantom Stranger? He was zombiefied but I still didn't recognize him.

Rob Staeger said:
At events when the Watcher would show up and stay silent, Pariah would show up and whine.
Thanks Rob and Rich. I had never heard of him before.
OK, so from what I've gathered on a couple of other sites (I don't read the comics I don't pick up), GL #46 shows that a BL can be rendered "inert" when completely enveloped by another being, thus returning it to it's former, dead, state.

To me, this means that the BL-rings are working not off a charge from a portable battery (which the other Corps' do), but are linked by some form of broadcast-energy-link. Discuss.
From what we've seen, BL rings are all at the same level of charge regardless of use or location. Their power is building, though. It seems to charge everytime a BL causes a death.
Agreed. The charge they're getting from consuming the emotion-filled hearts seems to be spread out to all 'active' BL-rings.

Also, I finally figured out what the BLs are. They're not necessarilly zombies, they're REVENANTS.
Ooh, that's a great term!

"You've got the brain of a four-year-old boy, and I'll bet he was glad to get rid of it." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! It's a pretty lame website, but I did it myself, so tough noogies

Listen to WOXY.com, it's the future of rock-n-roll!

I had an interview with Dan DiDio last week for CBG (and will have a shortened version for SHNS next week), and he said that The Atom was correct: The dead aren't wearing the rings, the rings are wearing the dead.

In other words, the rings are sentient. They find some bit of a dead person's DNA and rebuild the body (complete with memories, apparently) and use those "clothes" to scare the bejabbers out of someone who knew that person. Or to drive them to rage, hope, love, or one of the other seven corps colors. When that person is maxed out on a given emotion, they kill them -- because the black rings are fueled by emotion. As Mera said in the second issue, she could lose the Black Lanterns on her trail when she became calm, centered. The rings can't read "blank."

Also, that's why when one of our heroes chops off a head of a Black Lantern, it just grows back. Because it's the ring they should be attacking.

What happens when the rings are fully charged up? Well, the fourth issue of Blackest Night is titled "100%." DiDio was cagey as to how much we'd learn, but when I asked if we'd get some info, he said yes.

P.S. DiDio also said Blackest Night #4 has been pushed to the last week of October, to allow Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps for that month to get published first, which appears to be important. As to the big news for January ...

... well, you'll have to read my column, won't you?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service