I am really hoping that we will get a new Legion of Super-Heroes in the next year, and I hope they will stick with one version for more than a year or so before moving on to another one. I think that is one of the things that has really hurt the Legion in the past twenty years. They haven't been allowed to stick with any version for very long.

In the meantime, we can talk about the Legion incarnations of the past right here. Of course, I'm starting this one to talk about something I have read recently...

Views: 1195

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Luke. That was quick.

Luke Blanchard said:

In the Supergirl story "Brainiac's Blitz" from Action Comics #339 the villain attempts to use it to kill Supergirl. He says "at full strength, it can annihilate anything ...even her!", and he uses it to destroy her kryptonite cage.

In Legion of Super-Heroes #303 Brainiac 5 uses his force shield to contain the Emerald Empress's Emerald Eye, but it's a strain. In #311 he contains Computo in it.

In Adventure Comics #348 Brainiac 5 fist-fights a robot with it on, which is a form of using it offensively.

Randy Jackson said:

I'm trying to remember if Brainiac Five ever attempted to use his force field in an offensive manner. Sure, he used it to defend himself and others, but did he ever tinker with the tech so he could project fields whereever he wanted a la Sue Storm?

Here's an example from Adventure Comics #365 "Escape of the Fatal Five" (Feb 1968).

The belt was damaged, and couldn't be repaired (at least, not before the trap he was in killed him), but he used the components of the belt to make a weapon.

Did B5 ever develop a shrink ray like his ancestor? That seems an obvious choice for the character arming himself, but I don't recall that happening, at least in the Silver Age.

The net reminds me Supergirl obtained a shrinking ray from Brainiac 5 when she fought the Infinite Monster in Action Comics #285. My recollection is he sent a message with it saying the original Brainiac never revealed the secret of the growth ray.

Oh yeah, I remember now -- it wasn't the shrink ray that was the problem, it was the growth ray. Which had to be the case, or Supergirl could bring the secret back and restore Kandor. Thanks, Luke!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service