I am really hoping that we will get a new Legion of Super-Heroes in the next year, and I hope they will stick with one version for more than a year or so before moving on to another one. I think that is one of the things that has really hurt the Legion in the past twenty years. They haven't been allowed to stick with any version for very long.

In the meantime, we can talk about the Legion incarnations of the past right here. Of course, I'm starting this one to talk about something I have read recently...

Views: 1196

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Richard Mantle said:
I picked up Kubert's 'Damian Son of Batman' collection at £3.99 (Stirling) in the same sale.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

That Legacies collection just went on sale at Comixology, by the way -- part of the Andy Kubert sale. It's $5.99. There's also the Robin: A Celebration of 75 Years collection available for $10. 

And weirdly enough, a bunch of old Arion back issues for 99 cents. IIRC, Kubert was the letterer back then. On the other hand: Cheap Arion issues! 

I've got a LSH question regarding the 2010 series (16 issues) and the 2011 series (24 issues including #0).

I had been reading and enjoying the 2010 series right up until Flashpoint ushered in "The Nu52." At that point (or shortly thereafter) I pretty much lost interest in the DC Universe, and I dropped Legion cold. (It wasn't until a couple of days ago while reading this thread I even remembered there was a Nu52 version of LSH. That realization got me thinking: how much different is the 2011 series from the 2010 series? On other words, how much different is the post-Flashpoint LSH from the pre-Flashpoint LSH? I mean, it takes place 1000 years in the future. The pre- and post-Flashpoint DCU in the present day are two quite different places, but how much did Flashpoint affect 30th century.

So I'm soliciting opinions from those of you who read both the 2010 and the 2011 series.

If I liked the 2010 series, would I like the 2011 series?

There was barely any difference between the 2010 and 2011 series. There was a plot event that sent a lot of Legion characters into the past (Legion Lost, a series I didn't like enough to follow to its completion), but for the most part, Levitz kept his continuity despite the New 52 branding. There might have been tweaks here and there, but I don't recall any that stood out.

There was a little difference in focus, IIRC -- a few more of the new Legion Academy characters were made members and took the spotlight a bit from older favorites, but it was a decent book, if on a bit of a downturn.

Then, it should be noted, Giffen came back as co-plotter. And Giffen isn't precious with the characters, and likes to do some killin'. I can't say I was thrilled with the results, but YMMV. But if you enjoyed the 2010 series, it pretty much continues right along. 

Oh, Rob! You're killing me!

(Legion Lost, a series I didn't like enough to follow to its completion)

Not the original Legion Lost (abnett/Lanning/copiel). The new 52 series that lasted about a year. I think Tom DeFalco wrote it? I love the Legion, but it just didn't work for me.

Now that I have a moment to look it up, it looks like the New 52 Legion Lost was written by Fabian Nicieza, with art by Pete Woods. It starred Chameleon Girl, Dawnstar, Gates, Timber Wolf, Tellus, Tyroc and Wildfire, and lasted 17 issues (1-16, plus a 0 issue). Sometime after I bailed, it looks like the team relocated to New Orleans, so I'll probably have to pick up the rest eventually. 

Oh, whew! Okay, you're good. I thought you had gone crazy for a minute. :)

Not the original Legion Lost (abnett/Lanning/copiel). The new 52 series that lasted about a year. I think Tom DeFalco wrote it? I love the Legion, but it just didn't work for me.

Oh, and...completely agreed. I wanted to badly to love (let alone like) that book. Just didn't work out that way.

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

Oh, whew! Okay, you're good. I thought you had gone crazy for a minute. :)

Thanks, Rob.

I may try a few to put me over the "free shipping" threshold next time I place an order online.

Good plan!

Reading through the JLA Lightning Saga TPB this morning and noticed a couple similarities to the current Legion and JSA Rebirth hints that are being dropped.

In Rebirth, we have Saturn Girl in Arkham and a disoriented Johnny Thunder in a hospital. In the Lightning Saga we had Dream Girl in Arkham and a disoriented Star Boy hanging with the JSA. 

IIRC the story also featured Wally West returning after being trapped in the lightning or Speed Force or whatever it was. In Rebirth we see Johnny Thunder raving about how he is responsible for the JSA not existing. Could he have trapped them in his Thunderbolt?  Maybe the Thunderbolt and the lightning and the speed force are all connected in some way?

Since Geoff Johns was involved in both stories I'm thinking there has to be some connection there.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service