Discuss all things music here! If you're stuck in 1997 like me, the new Third Eye Blind cd came out today. It's available for download on Amazon.com for $3.99. http://www.amazon.com/Ursa-Major/dp/B002LFRXFC/ref=dm_cd_album_lnk?ie=UTF8&qid=1250637570&sr=8-1" If you're a fan of the band, this is not a bad album. It's more than worth $3.99.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I've been having fun this summer bringing home CDs from the library this summer. Right now, I have the 2-disc Very Best of Elvis Costello, the Queen two-fer (Classic and Greatest Hits), Under the Covers Vol. 1 by Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs and They Might Be Giants' The Spine.

Earlier this summer, I brought home Billy Joel's Greatest Hits Vol. 1 and 2 (I used to have it on cassette but never got around upgrading it to CD until now), the Little Shop of Horrors soundtrack, Guns 'n Roses Greatest Hits (again, finally getting around to upgrading cassettes), the Essential Janis Joplin and Wyclef Jean's Carnival II (which immediately went into heavy rotation- I love this album). And late in the spring, I got both Maroon 5 albums.
  • I got Electric Light Orchestra's "Out Of The Blue" last week, upgrading from cassette to CD. Love that album cover.
  • I just got back from the Philadelphia Folk Festival, and was blown away by a few acts -- two of them local, strangely enough. Wissahickon Chicken Shack is a terrific honky-tonk combo, much too twangy for Kathy but hitting exactly the right notes for me. And some songs, like "Queen of the World," are just wonderful wispy pop.

Then there's Slo-Mo featuring Mic Wrecka, a hip-hop/dance band that I honestly was surprised were at the fest, but boy was I glad they were. They had one set, on Sunday, and they were really the highlight of the day for me.

Another highlight was Caravan of Thieves, a gypsy acoustic swing band with a great, dark sense of humor, the guts to do a wonderful cover of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody, and the talent to pull it off.

The Decemberists played, offering a powerful rendition of their new album, The Hazards of Love, from start to finish -- and then following it up with a few other tunes, including the haunting "Eli, the Barrow Boy."

And there there's Iron and Wine. In this case, Sam Beam played alone on the large folk festival stage, just filling it up with his voice, his guitar, and the longing and emptiness he conveys with them. I'd never heard his song The Trapeze Swinger before Saturday night, but I'm not likely to forget it.
  • I picked up Wolfmother's new album today (MP3 download). If you liked their last album you should definitely dig this as well. They added two new musicians since the last album, but they still retain their sound. Amazon has the deluxe version for the same price as the regular one, $9.49. It has like four more songs.

Plus, I am going to the Wolfmother concert on Thursday. Should be fun.
  • I picked up their 2006 album up from the library last week. I really like it. Have fun at the show. I bet it'll be awesome.
  • This sounds really cool.

Read and listen here: Pink Martini
  • Jeff of Earth-J said:
    This sounds really cool.

Read and listen here: Pink Martini

Love Pink Martini. Haven't picked up this newest one yet, though.
  • I have a Pink Martini album, I just don't remember which one it is. I like it well enough.
  • I had never heard of them until I listened to that NPR story I linked above. I have a day off work tomorrow and plan to buy Splendor in the Grass.
  • Got home and looked it up, I have Hang On Little Tomato
This reply was deleted.