Discuss all things music here!

If you're stuck in 1997 like me, the new Third Eye Blind cd came out today. It's available for download on Amazon.com for $3.99.
http://www.amazon.com/Ursa-Major/dp/B002LFRXFC/ref=dm_cd_album_lnk?..."

If you're a fan of the band, this is not a bad album. It's more than worth $3.99.

Views: 3961

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Going Through My Vinyl Collection:

Marlene's Dietrich's Berlin - Songs in German.  I've always liked her singing voice.

Hooked on Classics - Louis Clark conducting the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.  I thought I had volume one of this around somewhere.  Nice background music.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack - Another old favorite. This one is rather a it scratchy, as we all used to love to play it.  Gotta love that Ennio Morricone.

Original Music From The Addams Family - Musci from the TV show, composed by Vic Mizzy.  Good stuff. Alot of fun music on that show.

Stop Making Sense -   Talking Heads. An old album, whicbh I bought during my college years, which I mostly bought because it had "Psycho-Killer" on it. Still a fun listen.

Business As Usual - Men At Work. Another odl favorite, including "Who Can IT BE Now?" and "Down Under". 

Song of the Volga Boatmen - Feodor Chaliapin. An ancient - the copyright date is 1908 - Victrola 78 that's only recorded on one side. It's very scratchy, but still listenable.   Just amazing to listen to a voice from so long ago. He was a good singer, too.

Philharmonic Family Library of Great Music - Album 1 - Another one of my dad's, including:

1. Can Can Music - Offenbach
  2. Waltz, "Tales From the Vienna Woods" - Strauss
  3. "Bacchanale" From "Samson and Delilah" - Saint-Saens
  4. Ride of the Valkyiries - Wagner
  5. Overture, "The Bartered Bride" - Smetana
  6. Liebestraum - Liszt
  7. Roumanian Rhapsody No. 1 - Enesco
  8. Flight of the Bumblebee - Rimsky-Korsakov

I confess that I had to look up Smetana and Enesco. I'd never heard of them.

Philharmonic Family Library of Great - Album 2 - This one contains:

1. Triumphal March from "Aida" - Verdi
  2. Traumerei - Schumann
  3. Roman Carnival - Berlioz
  4. Ave Maria - Schubert
  5. Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2- Liszt
  6. Dance of the Hours - Ponchielli
  7. Slavonic Dance No. 1 - Dvorak

A few 12 inch singles:

Walk This Way - Run DMC

Jumpin' Jack Flash - Aretha

Angel/Into the Groove - Madonna

I did enjoy the 80's - the bits of them that I remember, anyhow.

Philharmonic Family Library of Great Music - Album 3

1. Peer Gynt Suite No. 1 - Grieg
  2. L'Arlésienne Suite No. 2 - Bizet
  3. Capriccio Espagnol - Rimsky-Korsakov
  4. Overture, "The Barber of Seville" - Rosssini

Philharmonic Family Library of Great Music - Album 5

1. Symphony No.4, "Italian"
  2. Nutcracker Suite - Tchaikovsky

The Grieg and Bizet pieces are especial favorites of mine. I can never hear the Rossini piece without thinking of Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd.

The Mocking Bird - Corinne Morgan & Frank Stanley. Another ancient Victor 78.  I must confess I'd never even heard of these two.

Philharmonic Family Library of Great Music - Album 4

1. Bouffes Parisiens - Offenbach
  2. Les Préludes - Liszt
  3. Danse Macabre - Saint-Saens

Philharmonic Family Library of Great Music - Album 11

1. Scheherazade Symphonic Suite after the "Thousand and One Nights" - Rimsky-Korsakov

Philharmonic Family Library of Great Music - Album 13

1. Symphony No. 5, "From the New World" - Dvorak

Basic Library of the World's Greatest Music Album No. 1

1. Carmen Suite - Bizet
  2. Introduction and March from Le Coq d'Or - Rimsky-Korsakov
  3. Concerto No. 2 in C Minor, Op. 18, for Piano and Orchestra (3rd Movement) - Rachmaninoff
  4. The Sorcerer's Apprentice - Dukas

Stanley Kubrick's Clockwork Orange - Soundtrack.  A good listen. Mostly odds and ends of classical stuff

Tchaikovsky - 1812 Overture/Serenade for Strings - Vienna Symphony Orchestra, Michael Gielen conducting.. The 1812 Overture is one of my all-time favorite bits of music. I love listneing to it.

The Blues Brothers Original soundtrack Recording - An old favorite of mine.

Turned on Christmas - The Henry Hadaway Orchestra and Chorus.  A Christmas version of the "Hooked On" albums.  Music for when you want some background sound rather than silence.

Physical - Olivia Newton-John.  I bought this mostly becase I liked the title song, and it didn't occur to me to look for the single.

Going Through My CD Collection:

Doctor Who Series 8 - Three discs of Doctor Who music by Murray Gold, covering the episodes "Deep Breath" through "Last Christmas".  Listenable but not especially distinguished stuff.  Only one particularly memorable track, "The Majestic Tale (of an Idiot With a Box)", from the episode "Death in Heaven".  For hardcore Who fans only.

The Baron said:

The Blues Brothers Original soundtrack Recording - An old favorite of mine.

I love that album, too, although I've always been annoyed that it doesn't include "Stand By Your Man." And the Wikipedia entry for the soundtrack lists all the other music in the movie -- enough that they could have made the soundtrack a two-CD set.

Going Through My CD Collection:

The Music of DC Comics: Volume 2 - Various.  Various odds and ends of DC-related musical stuff. For the sad, fanatical completist only.  Probably the best track is the original version off the 60's Batman theme. Previous collections had cover versions, presumably for legal reasons.

Baby Metal  and Baby Metal Resistance - Baby Metal.  Odd mixture of J-POP and  heavy metal. Good, listenable stuff.

Feline Groovy - Mark Steyn.  A Christmas present from my cousin's husband. A collection of cat-themed songs, including the theme from Top Cat. Mildly amusing.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service