Discuss all things music here!

If you're stuck in 1997 like me, the new Third Eye Blind cd came out today. It's available for download on Amazon.com for $3.99.
http://www.amazon.com/Ursa-Major/dp/B002LFRXFC/ref=dm_cd_album_lnk?..."

If you're a fan of the band, this is not a bad album. It's more than worth $3.99.

Views: 4186

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just checked it and they boast having over 92,000 concerts archived. Boggles the mind.

Jason Marconnet said:
I haven't heard of it. Sounds awesome!

Albums I have copies of that start with the letter "A":

Abbey Road, The Beatles

Acadie, Daneil Lanois

Achtung Baby, U2

All-Star Smash Hits, Smashmouth

All That You Can't Leave Behind, U2

All the Best, Paul McCartney

All the Roadrunning, Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris

All Things Must Pass, George Harrison

All World, LL Cool J

Altered Beast, Matthew Sweet

American Graffiti, movie soundtrack

American Recordings, Johnny Cash

American II: Unchained, Johnny Cash

American III: Solitary Man, Johnny Cash

American IV: The Man Comes Around, Johnny Cash

American V: A Hundred Highways, Johnny Cash

American VI: Ain't No Grave, Johnny Cash

Anthology, Tommy James and the Shondells

Apollo 18, They Might Be Giants

Asylum Years, Tom Waits

At the Movies, Sting

Atlantis (Hymns for Disco), k-os

August & Everything After, Counting Crows

Automatic for the People, REM

Do I buy the (somewhat expensive) two-disc version of "The SMILE Sessions" which shipped yesterday or should I wait until the (even more expensive) six-disc version which ships next week? Do I even need it since I already have Brian Wilson's polished solo version from a couple of years ago? I also probably own many of the Beach Boys' out-takes on other releases (albeit in a less polished format).

Decisions, decisions...

I would opt for option 3, since you already have a copy. Unless there is something being offered in the new versions that you really want/need. How much are those new versions?
The two-disc version is around $35 (comes with a poster and a button, etc.) and the six-disc version is going to be around $70, I think. In either case, I'll wait until I can use a coupon or something.
I couldn't resist. I knew I didn't need the seventy dollar version, but I bought the standard version today with a 20% off coupon plus my standard 10% memnber disount... and I'm really glad I did. Versions of a lot of these tracks are on the "Good Vibrations" set, and although I've long intended to sift through them and put them in the correct order to create my own ersatz Smile, just simply buying the new set was a lot easier. I'm glad I did, too. I haven't even listened to the "sessions" disc yet, but the album disc is very different from the 2004 version.

Looking back at my list of "A" albums:

Album with the best memories: Achtung Baby- this came out in 1991, right in the middle of my high school years.  I played it non-stop; I bought the T-shirt; I even taped the video for "Mysterious Ways" off of MTV and watched that over and over again.  This album always makes me feel good.  

Most embarrassing album: All Star Smash Hits- I got it from the library because some of their singles were pretty cool but wow, they do not have a deep catalogue at all.  Half of their so-called "greatest hits" could be considered filler. 

Recent additions: I've picked up a copy of Stephen Sondheim's musical Assassins since I posted this list in October.  That's the off-Broadway Revival with Neil Patrick Harris in one of the starring roles.  It's not a great album- too many spoken tracks- but it's a nice addition to my Sondheim collection. 

Chris Fluit said:

Albums I have copies of that start with the letter "A":

Abbey Road, The Beatles

Acadie, Daneil Lanois

Achtung Baby, U2

All-Star Smash Hits, Smashmouth

All That You Can't Leave Behind, U2

All the Best, Paul McCartney

All the Roadrunning, Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris

All Things Must Pass, George Harrison

All World, LL Cool J

Altered Beast, Matthew Sweet

American Graffiti, movie soundtrack

American Recordings, Johnny Cash

American II: Unchained, Johnny Cash

American III: Solitary Man, Johnny Cash

American IV: The Man Comes Around, Johnny Cash

American V: A Hundred Highways, Johnny Cash

American VI: Ain't No Grave, Johnny Cash

Anthology, Tommy James and the Shondells

Apollo 18, They Might Be Giants

Asylum Years, Tom Waits

At the Movies, Sting

Atlantis (Hymns for Disco), k-os

August & Everything After, Counting Crows

Automatic for the People, REM

Albums I have copies of that start with the letter "B":

Back to Black, Amy Winehouse

Back to Skull, They Might Be Giants (ep)

Baja Sessions, Chris Isaak

Basin Street Blues, various artists (Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, etc.)

Bat Out of Hell, Meat Loaf

Back Out of Hell II: Back Into Hell, Meat Loaf

The Beatles, "The White Album"

Beatles for Sale, the Beatles

Beautiful Maladies, Tom Waits

The Beauty of the Rain, Dar Williams

Beggars Banquet, The Rolling Stones

Begin to Hope, Regina Spektor

Besides, Over the Rhine

The Best of Leonard Cohen

The Best of 1980-1990, U2

The Best of Blondie

The Best of Bond, James Bond

The Best of Diana Ross

The Best of Hans Zimmer, The City of Prague Philharmonic

The Best of James

The Best of John Lee Hooker

The Best of Swing, various artists (Brian Setzer Orchestra, Royal Crown Revue, etc.)

The Best of the Band

The Best of the Chieftains

The Best of the Songbooks, Ella Fitzgerald

The Best of the Velvet Underground

The Best That I Could Do, John Mellencamp

Between the Buttons, The Rolling Stones

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

Big Night, movie soundtrack

A Bigger Bang, The Rolling Stones

Black and Blue, The Rolling Stones

The Black Parade, My Chemical Romance

Black-Eyed Man, Cowboy Junkies

Blacklisted, Neko Case

Bleu, Zbigniew Preisner (movie soundtrack)

Blind Melon

Blood on the Tracks, Bob Dylan

Blue Sky on Mars, Matthew Sweet

The Blues Brothers (movie soundtrack)

Blues on the Bayou, B. B. King

Boom Boom, John Lee Hoooker

Born in the USA, Bruce Springsteen

Born of Frustration, James (ep)

Born on a Pirate Ship, Barenaked Ladies

Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen

Bossanova, Pixies

Brand New Day, Sting

Bridges to Babylon, The Rolling Stones

Bring on the Night, Sting

Bringing Down the Satellites, The Wallflowers

Brothers in Arms, Dire Straits

Buena Vista Social Club

If you're stuck in 1997 like me, the new Third Eye Blind cd came out today. It's available for download on Amazon.com for $3.99.
http://www.amazon.com/Ursa-Major/dp/B002LFRXFC/ref=dm_cd_album_lnk?..."

If you're a fan of the band, this is not a bad album. It's more than worth $3.99.

I enjoyed all of the Third Eye Blind references in Friends with Benefits (a movie from last summer with Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake).

Some comments on my "B" albums:

Album with the best memories: The White Album- this is another high school memory for me, though obviously it came out long before then.  My best friend Dan Zylstra and I used to play this album on his dad's record player.  We would sing along to the fun songs (Ob-La-Di, Rocky Raccoon, Why Don't We Do It In the Road?) or discuss the lyrics.  Plus, I love Tommy Lee Jones' line from Men in Black "every time they introduce new technology, I have to buy the White Album again."  It's true, too.  I've had it on record, cassette, CD and now MP3.  Anybody got an 8-track?  

Most embarrassing album: Bat Out of Hell II: Back Into Hell- I can proudly say that I didn't buy this when it was new (and I was in college).  I liked the big single but wasn't impressed by the rest of the album.  I got this out of the library a year or two ago but I have to say that my first impression was right. 

Most recent addition: Begin to Hope- I'm often a few years behind on new music and Regina Spektor is no exception.  I was introduced to her through the Prince Caspian soundtrack (she sings the achingly beautiful "The Call," aka No Need to Say Good-Bye).  I found another song of hers on a cool holiday album ("My Dear Acquaintance- Happy New Year).  So I finally picked up her biggest album from 2006.   

I like to compare BACK INTO HELL to THE RETURN OF THE PINK PANTHER.  Wait, follow me on this...  After A SHOT IN THE DARK, Blake Edwards & Peter Sellers had a falling-out, and both swore never to work with the other again. They each went on, and over time, both their careers hit the skids, despite some stellar work here and there. Then, in desperation (what else could it have been?) they decided to get back together. They did a TERRIBLE movie, THE RETURN OF THE PINK PANTHER... and it made a TON of money, and put them back up on top. Then, they did another one, EVEN WORSE-- and that made money, too.  Then, they did a 3rd one... well, this one surprsed the hell out of me by NOT being bad. But for some reason, it gets a lot of hate from fans nowadays.  Go figure.

"Meanwhile"... after the long-delayed BAD FOR GOOD, which came out only 2 months before DEAD RINGER, Jim Steinman & Meat Loaf had a major falling-out.  Both Steinman and ML's record label actually had the monstrous nerve to SUE him for "lost profits" because of the delay, when the guy had had a nervous breakdown. Unbelieveable!! Well, a decade went by, and despite some stellar work, both Steinman & ML's careers were on the skids.  So trhey got back together and did a TERRIBLE album (well, maybe not terrible, but severely disappointing at least), BACK INTO HELL.  Both the album and its 1st single, "I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)" went to #1 !!! Both Steinman & ML were back on top again, which stunned a lot of people, to say the least. The real problem with BACK INTO HELL is that, aside from that 12-minute single (which really WAS a damned good song), a big portion of the album were songs Jim Sterinman had done years earlier for diferent projects, and decided to recycle for the new one. So he really didn't put that much effort into the "reunion" album, DID he?? I mean, half of it was "filler", in the Motown tradition!

Ironically, ML teamed with producer Ron Nevison and did a VASTLY superior follow-up, WELCOME TO THE NEIGHBORHOOD. I loved, absolutely LOVED 9 out of its 12 songs. But nobody (except ML fans like me) seemed aware of the albums' existence at all.

One problem with the follow-up, frankly, were the 3 songs I didn't care for. The album was just TOO long, and while hitting the "next" button on the CD player is an option you didn't have with vinyl turntables, I decided on a better alternative.  I did a "special edition" of NEIGHBORHOOD.  I snipped off the 3 songs I didn't like, and added "I'd Do Anything For Love" as a bonus track-- at the BEGINNING of the disc!!!

The 9 songs I kept were:

"When The Rubber Meets The Road"

"I'd Lie For You (And That's The Truth)"

"Original Sin"

"45 Seconds Of Ecstasy"

"Runnin' For The Red Light (I Gotta Life)"

"Fiesta De Las Almas Perdidas"

"Not A Dry Eye In The House"

"Amnesty Is Granted"

"If This Is The Last Kiss (Let's Make It Last All Night)"

I love my CD-writer...

Albums I share with, Chris:

Altered Beast by Matthew Sweet

America Graffiti soundtrack: I bought a copy for my dad long, long ago. I liked it so much that I went and bought one for myself a month later.

American Recording by Johnny Cash: I always tell myself I will pick up the other ones because I loved this one so much, but I still haven't.

Back to Black by Amy Winehouse

Beggars Banquet by the Rolling Stones: One of the few Stone's albums I own, and I genuinely  like them. Another case of laziness

The Best of Blondie: A really great collection of hits. They put out a new album last year that wasn't that bad.

I own no U2 or REM for that matter. Both huge groups for people of my generation, but for the most part they just never moved the needle for me.

I've hear the Beatles so much I've never felt the need of owning their music. Same with Born in the USA by Springsteen. It may change in the future, but I would satisfied never hearing some of those songs again.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service