Discuss all things music here!

If you're stuck in 1997 like me, the new Third Eye Blind cd came out today. It's available for download on Amazon.com for $3.99.
http://www.amazon.com/Ursa-Major/dp/B002LFRXFC/ref=dm_cd_album_lnk?..."

If you're a fan of the band, this is not a bad album. It's more than worth $3.99.

Views: 4639

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Going Through My CD Collection:

Seeking Major Tom - William Shatner. A two-disc set.  He "sings" various more-or-less "space themed songs. Very entertaining in an insane way.

For some reason, I've been more than usually interested in the nominees for the rock n roll hall of fame. Of the dozen or so nominees, I think that Nirvana clearly deserves to go in. I'd also like to see Kiss elected- even though I'm not a Kiss fan. I just think their impact on rock n roll was too big to be ignored. I'd also throw support to LL Cool J and Chic. I realize that some fans object to them because they aren't rock n roll narrowly defined, but that bridge was already crossed when other rap and disco artists were enshrined. I'm okay with that. I prefer a more expansive definition. LL certainly ranks up there with the earlier popularizers of rap music and Chic deserves to go in after being nominated for the 8th time. Deep Purple and Yes appear to have momentum if published articles are anything to go by but I'm ambivalent about both of them. I know that they have extensive catalogues but they're generally known for only one hit a piece (of course, the same could be said for Chic). I'm not opposed to their elections but I'd much rather see first time nominee Peter Gabriel get in instead. Then there are all of the artists who weren't even finalists this year. I'm shocked that they haven't already inducted Dire Straits, The Cars or Bon Jovi. Bon Jovi deserves credit as the biggest and longest lasting "hair metal band"; The Cars were one of the leading lights of New Wave; and Dire Straits is the definition of guitar oriented rock n roll.

Strictly for Music Lovers - Spike Jones & His City Slickers. A four disc set.  An interesting collection of music. Some of the humor hasn;t aged well, but overall it's fairly entertaining. Behind the gags, these guys are quite good musicians.

The Most of Ray Stevens - Odd little collection. In addition to his humor songs, some of which have aged well and some of which haven't, he also appears to have done a number of "straight" songs with a tendency towards maudlin sentimentality and bizarre preachiness.

Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture - Philadelphia Orchestra, conducted by Eugene Ormandy. Also includes "Capricico Italien", "March Slave" and "Francesca da Rimini". I'm always up for a listen to our Pete.

The Three Stooges - Moe, Larry and Curly Joe sing songs for children.  Not bad for kid's stuff, with only a minimal amount od Stooging.

A Tenors Christmas - Placido Domingo, Luciano Pavarotti, Jose Carreras. An OK Christmas album.

The Traveling Wilburys - Collection- This collects their two albums, plus a DVD of videos.  Good stuff. Another old favorite. 

Electric Warrior - T.Rex.  Lots of good 60's hippie music.  A funs listen.

The Weavers Greatest Hits - Lots of swell old folk music.

I never considered this album hippie music myself. It is good though. About 2-3 years ago I was listening to it a ton.

The Baron said:

Electric Warrior - T.Rex.  Lots of good 60's hippie music.  A funs listen.

The Who - Greatest Hits - A good sampler of their music.  Fun stuff.

Back to Black - Amy Winehouse. I only started listening to her stuff after she died.  A very distinctive voice, shame she self-destructed like that.

Lioness: Hidden Treasures - Amy Winehouse. A very interesting album. Lots of interesting covers.

The Essential "Weird Al" Yankovic - A two disc set.  Funny stuff, although I find that I enjoy his song parodies more than most of his original stuff.

"Weird Al" Yankovic Greatest Hits Volume II - More fun stuff. I particularly like his mash-up of "Money for Nothing" and "The Ballad of Jed Clampett".

Are You Passionate? - Neil Young.  OK stuff.  I picked this up right after 9/11, as I recall.

The Wind - Warren Zevon.  Good stuff from the ever-reliable Mister Z.

The Best of Warren Zevon - I particularly like "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner".

"Enjoy Every Sandwich" - The Music of Warren Zevon  - Covers of his songs by a wide variety of artists. Interesting stuff.

Newbury Comics The Early Years Vol. 1: Emi-Capitol 1977-1984 - For those unfamiliar with it, Newbury Comics was a comics store that somehow mutated into a chain of music stores in the New England area. This collection has songs form groups like Iggy Pop, Blondie, the Vapors, Wall of Voodoo and others.  Very good stuff.

Newbury Comics The Early Years Vol. 2: Rhino 1977-1986 - More great stuff, from the Ramones, Devo, the B-52's, the Cure, Laurie Anderson, the Smiths and others.

Just Can't Get Enough: New Wave Halloween - Various more-or-less "Halloween" themed songs from groups like the B-52's, Oingo Boingo, the Ramones, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Sonic Youth, the Dead Kennedys and others. My favorite track is a cover of the theme from The Munsters by the Comateens.

Born on the Bayou - The Bluegrass Tribute to Creedence Clearwater Revival - Amusing stuff. CCR lends itself well to the bluegrass treatment.

Guitar Gods: A Bluegrass Celebration - This one is covers of various classic rock songs.  their cove rof "Purple Haze" is my favorite track.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service