Discuss all things music here!

If you're stuck in 1997 like me, the new Third Eye Blind cd came out today. It's available for download on Amazon.com for $3.99.
http://www.amazon.com/Ursa-Major/dp/B002LFRXFC/ref=dm_cd_album_lnk?..."

If you're a fan of the band, this is not a bad album. It's more than worth $3.99.

Views: 4639

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been uncovering a few old gems lately.  It's kind of fun when you discover a new favorite artist except they're not new and there's an entire back catalogue to immediately explore. 

Chuck Prophet: The credit for this one goes to Dan, the owner of my local comic shop.  Dan plays great music in the store- rock, blues, a little folk.  Sometimes he'll listen to NPR's World Cafe.  Sometimess he'll play a couple of CDs.  One day, he was playing an album by an artist I had never heard before.  The voice sounded a little like Tom Petty but the songs sounded more like Tom Waits.  Considering those are two of my favorite artists, I was immediately interested in this new guy.  Dan mentioned that the artist's name was Chuck Prophet and he had just seen him in concert.  I borrowed a couple of Prophet albums from the library and loved them both.  I then bought two albums off of iTunes, including the one I first heard in the comic shop.  

The Decemberists: I was introduced to the Decemberists a few years ago via The Colbert Report.  I was somewhat interested in them but not enough to go out and get an album at the time.  I should have known better- Stephen Colbert hasn't steered me wrong yet when it comes to music.  A year or so ago, I saw one of their albums in the library- The King is Dead- and figured I'd give it a try.  I liked it well enough at first and it's grown on me even more over the year.  I listened to it again just the other week and realized I needed to get some more stuff by these guys and quick.  I've since added The Hazards of Love and a few others.  I haven't listened to everything yet but I've enjoyed whatever I've played. 

Lucinda WIlliams: Lucinda had her big breakout album while I was in college so I've known about her for a long time.  I even have her album, Car Wheels on a Gravel Road, though I never bought it myself; I probably inherited it from one roommate or another somewhere along the line.  I might not have been ready for her at the time because I don't remember being impressed.  However, I decided to listen to the album I owned again just for kicks.  And, here's the kicker: I really liked it.  Her style is a little bit like Sheryl Crow (although she probably influenced Crow more than the other way around).  Her voice is a bit rougher than Sheryl's but her songs are a little quirkier too.  I'm definitely going to have to see if her other albums measure up.  

CAKE: The other three artists could all be comfortably described as either folk-rock or roots-rock so it makes sense that I'd become interested in them at roughly the same time.  CAKE is a completely different animal.  They're quirky, so lyrically they're a little bit like the others, but they're completely different musically.  They're an alternative pseudo-pop band.  My interest in them can be traced to the dearly-departed television show, Chuck.  Chuck used a CAKE song, Short Skirt/Long Jacket, for their opening credits.  Last year, I made a playlist featuring many of my favorite TV songs and Short Skirt naturally made the list.  I played it again and again.  I finally admitted to myself that I needed to hear more from this band.  To my surprise, I discovered that they were also responsible for the novelty hit, The Distance, that came out when I was in grad school.  At the time, I would have written them off as a one-hit wonder but they've proven to be deceptively resilient and their arty, whimsical, intellectual style appeals to me a lot.

...I have the same birthday as Lucindia Williams (and Eddie Van Halen , and Eartha Kitt , and Jules Feiffer , Ellen DeGeneris , Paul Newman)...

Chris Fluit said:

I've been uncovering a few old gems lately.  It's kind of fun when you discover a new favorite artist except they're not new and there's an entire back catalogue to immediately explore. 

Chuck Prophet: The credit for this one goes to Dan, the owner of my local comic shop.  Dan plays great music in the store- rock, blues, a little folk.  Sometimes he'll listen to NPR's World Cafe.  Sometimess he'll play a couple of CDs.  One day, he was playing an album by an artist I had never heard before.  The voice sounded a little like Tom Petty but the songs sounded more like Tom Waits.  Considering those are two of my favorite artists, I was immediately interested in this new guy.  Dan mentioned that the artist's name was Chuck Prophet and he had just seen him in concert.  I borrowed a couple of Prophet albums from the library and loved them both.  I then bought two albums off of iTunes, including the one I first heard in the comic shop.  

The Decemberists: I was introduced to the Decemberists a few years ago via The Colbert Report.  I was somewhat interested in them but not enough to go out and get an album at the time.  I should have known better- Stephen Colbert hasn't steered me wrong yet when it comes to music.  A year or so ago, I saw one of their albums in the library- The King is Dead- and figured I'd give it a try.  I liked it well enough at first and it's grown on me even more over the year.  I listened to it again just the other week and realized I needed to get some more stuff by these guys and quick.  I've since added The Hazards of Love and a few others.  I haven't listened to everything yet but I've enjoyed whatever I've played. 

Lucinda WIlliams: Lucinda had her big breakout album while I was in college so I've known about her for a long time.  I even have her album, Car Wheels on a Gravel Road, though I never bought it myself; I probably inherited it from one roommate or another somewhere along the line.  I might not have been ready for her at the time because I don't remember being impressed.  However, I decided to listen to the album I owned again just for kicks.  And, here's the kicker: I really liked it.  Her style is a little bit like Sheryl Crow (although she probably influenced Crow more than the other way around).  Her voice is a bit rougher than Sheryl's but her songs are a little quirkier too.  I'm definitely going to have to see if her other albums measure up.  

CAKE: The other three artists could all be comfortably described as either folk-rock or roots-rock so it makes sense that I'd become interested in them at roughly the same time.  CAKE is a completely different animal.  They're quirky, so lyrically they're a little bit like the others, but they're completely different musically.  They're an alternative pseudo-pop band.  My interest in them can be traced to the dearly-departed television show, Chuck.  Chuck used a CAKE song, Short Skirt/Long Jacket, for their opening credits.  Last year, I made a playlist featuring many of my favorite TV songs and Short Skirt naturally made the list.  I played it again and again.  I finally admitted to myself that I needed to hear more from this band.  To my surprise, I discovered that they were also responsible for the novelty hit, The Distance, that came out when I was in grad school.  At the time, I would have written them off as a one-hit wonder but they've proven to be deceptively resilient and their arty, whimsical, intellectual style appeals to me a lot.

Going Through My CD Collection:

Pickin' on the Rolling Stones - The Stones also do well with the bluegrass treatment..

Pickin' on Pink Floyd: A Bluegrass Tribute  - Floyd, not so much, but it's still an interesting album.

Chris, I'm surprised you weren't familiar with CAKE beforehand. I have Fashion Nugget and various other songs from them. I should look deeper into their catalog though.

I tried Lucinda William recently, and bought Car Wheels... It just wasn't my cup of tea.

I'd heard of Cake before but I'd never really listened to them until now.

As for Lucinda Williams, she wasn't my cuppa when I first heard her 17 or so years ago but she's grown on me since. Still trying to figure out what others heard in Victoria Williams though.

Oh, Chris, have you checked out or heard of Ghost Brothers of Darkland County? I got it a few months ago, and thought of you. It seems like something you would like. It was a collaboration between Stephen King, John Mellencamp, and T. Bone Burnett on a musical. The album includes people like Sheryl Crow, Elvis Costello, Neko Case, and a host of others. If you haven't yet, I think you should at least give it a listen. So should anyone else really for that matter.

Pickin' on Petty - A Bluegrass Tribute to Tom Petty - OK stuff. I'd forgotten I had so many of these "bluegrass tribute" albums.

Thanks for the heads up, Travis. That does sound like something that would be right up my alley.

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

Oh, Chris, have you checked out or heard of Ghost Brothers of Darkland County? I got it a few months ago, and thought of you. It seems like something you would like. It was a collaboration between Stephen King, John Mellencamp, and T. Bone Burnett on a musical. The album includes people like Sheryl Crow, Elvis Costello, Neko Case, and a host of others. If you haven't yet, I think you should at least give it a listen. So should anyone else really for that matter.

Punk Does Classic Rock - A bunch of "punk" bands I'd never heard of covers some old hits. Listenable but nothing special.  Includes a second disc: "Fearless Records Bonus Sampler" of more music by bands I'd never heard of.  Also listenable but nothing special.

National Anthems of the World - The Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Andrew Lane.  33 national anthems from various countries. Interesting stuff.

ESPN Presents: Jock Jams Vol. 1 - Various artists.  A collection of the sort of music played between plays at ballgames.  My favorite tracks are "Pump  Up the Volume" by M/A/R/R/S and "The Power" by SNAP.

ESPN Presents: Jock Rock Volume 1 - Various artists.  Another collection of the sort of music played between plays at ballgames. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service