Replies

• I used to watch reruns of THE LONG RANGER in the late 60's.  Fun show.  I loved the credits, where he's riding up or down the side of that mountain.  I remember how strange it was when, out of nowhere, they ran a bunch of episodes with someone else playing the part (John Hart, instead of Clayton Moore).

Then again, I also used to watch THE LONE RANGER carton series on Saturday mornings.  Apparently, not only was it borderline-psychedelic, it was also inspired by THE WILD WILD WEST when it came to technically-minded villains.

Somewhere around here, I have a recording of "The William Tell Overture" by Arturo Toscanini and the NBC Symphony Orchestra (from 1953).  It'll just blow your mind, if you crank up the volume!

• Yeah, the reviews have been really awful. The Tribune gave it one star and in an article today explained why John Carter is a way better movie. Ouch.

-- MSA

• ...How about the Sun-Times ?

Have they , actually , given any indication who will succeed Ebert , in their " main/first-stringer " critic slot ?????????

Presumably they might be letting the summer pass before really starting to go at that - Though , of course , many big movies open in the summer , but in fact , I've seen it indicated , HERE! , IIRC ,  that ol' Rog was a rather notorious disliker of many " summer tentpoles " , " Our " movies - the ones that get a right-column " Coming Soon " on the intro page !!!!!!!!! - especially...

I've sort of wondered whether the Sun-Times may last that long post-Ebert . Okay , okay , okay - No , I don't see it , being in a Pacific Ocean-bordering county as I am , and having grownup in an Atlantic likewise one , and though I certainly respected Rog , I did not read him all that much (and not til' the Internet age , really) , and , I , basically , watched his TV shows - well , little , anyway in the post-Siskel last few years I'd occasionally see them .

With daily newspapers genrally seen as Headed Down-Hill !!! the place of the remaining " second " newspapers in large metropolitan areas might REALLY be up to question - One of the Sun-Times' recent owners was in US Federal prison and then released and deported , the San Francisco Examiner has had like 4 owners in the last 13 years and recently I saw was suing the #1 Chronicle alleging unfair/deceptive/violating anti-trust laws advertising practices on the Chron's part (The Ex bacame a " hyperlocal " giveawy " half-paper " a long time ago - And , far worse , dropped all comic strips ! Boo...I don't even physically see it up/down here in Santa Clara County so maybe they changed that back and I didn't hear about it..Rupert Murdoch has lost millions and millions for decades on the New York Post but...Figs ???...with his age and upcoming divorce bills ( Somebody cueup the Dicaprio Romeo + Juliet remix of " Young Hearts Run Free " !!!!!!!!! :-) !)...........

Mr. Silver Age said:

Yeah, the reviews have been really awful. The Tribune gave it one star and in an article today explained why John Carter is a way better movie. Ouch.

-- MSA

• Forget that stuff! Listen to "The Man Behind the Mask: A Profile of the Lone Ranger" on NPR's All Things Considered:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=198781845

(13 minutes)

• I can't think of any specific examples, but as I recall Ebert was generally (though not always) pretty fair to all types of movies. Siskel was the one who was more snobbish about some types of movies, seemingly disliking them because they were superhero, science fiction, horror, etc. Roger was usually able to review them fairly regardless of their genre. I never let a review alone stop me from seeing a movie, but as critics go Roger was the most reliable.

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

ol' Rog was a rather notorious disliker of many " summer tentpoles " , " Our " movies - the ones that get a right-column " Coming Soon " on the intro page !!!!!!!!! - especially...
  • It should be noted that Disney dropped The Lone Ranger before as too expensive, the general public's lack of interest in the character and the apathy for westerns in general. In fact the original premise involved werewolves! Silver bullets, y'know!

But Johnny Depp wanted to play Tonto. And do it the "right" way for his one-fourth or one eighth heritage. So to keep The Pirates of the Caribbean franchise moving, Disney gives Johnny his vanity project, get a relatively unknown actor to play the Lone Ranger thus robbing the role of any prestige and makes the Ranger helpless without Tonto.

And to not offend anyone by darkening his skin, Depp wears kabuki style whiteface!

And, lest we forget, wears a dead bird on his head for the entire movie!

Much like Man of Steel, Hollywood seems to equate high moral values with sheer boredom!

• ...I do remember it having been dropped before , between that and IIRC that Terry Gilliam project Johnny seems prone to laning in non-made fillums...

• I saw an interview on one of the talk shows where Depp showed a portrait of someone wearing that make-up, complete with bird, which he said was his model.

And to not offend anyone by darkening his skin, Depp wears kabuki style whiteface!

And, lest we forget, wears a dead bird on his head for the entire movie!

• My favorite Roger Ebert review (from his book) was CALIGULA. He pointed out that it was badly made, badly written, badly directed, badly acted, and worst of all, it WASN'T even sexy!

But the kicker was when he described taking a break to go to the lobby. There, he overheard some little old lady at the water fountain telling a friend of hers... "This film-- is the WORST piece of SHIT I've ever seen!"

: )

• Mr. Silver Age said:

Yeah, the reviews have been really awful. The Tribune gave it one star and in an article today explained why John Carter is a way better movie. Ouch.

-- MSA

Really? John Carter? OUCH!

This reply was deleted.