What it said .

Early reviews of Johnny's newie that I've seen have NOT been good , with the San Francisco Chronicle's Mick LaSalle giving it that paper's equivalent of zero stars.........

Views: 1165

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...Yes , and our favorite entertainment magazines have always been an exception to that , mail subsriptions to comic books tend to be at not as much of a discount as has always tended to be true for the " real " Time/Better Homes & Gardens/Playboy type ones .

Richard Willis said:

As I understand it, newspapers and magazines offer heavily discounted subscriptions so they can show advertisers a guaranteed circulation number to justify their ad rates.

...Henry , I watched the mid-60s Filmation TLR series too - In the early 80s i am , now , aware that there was an animated LR series then .

Was it re-runs of the 60s one or new episodes ?

Or both ?????

Do you (or anyone else) know , please ???????

...Check the Videos section ~ JUMP ON IT !!!!!!!!!!!

...I saw it !!!!!!!!!!!

The early 1980s Filmation "Lone Ranger" series was, indeed, a different cartoon than the one the company made in the 1960s.

I have only seen one episode of the 1960s version and found it to be much better than then 1980s version. By the 1980s, Filmation was already into the "lesson of the day" style cartoons, where each episode had a heavy-handed moral story, complete with a talk about it at the end! Nice for a kid, I suppose, but aggravating to most adults.

The 1960s episode I saw was just an action story, and I loved the stylized designs of the characters.

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...Henry , I watched the mid-60s Filmation TLR series too - In the early 80s i am , now , aware that there was an animated LR series then .

Was it re-runs of the 60s one or new episodes ?

Or both ?????

Do you (or anyone else) know , please ???????

You saw the movie? Me too. Should we start a "spoilery" thread to talk about it?

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...I saw it !!!!!!!!!!!

I think I saw one episode of the 80's (late 70's?) series.  Like the ZORRO cartoons of the same period, it was demasculated. NO violence of any kind allowed. So, The Lone Ranger couldn't draw his gun and shoot anyone-- and Zorro wasn't allowed to use his sword.  That's a great big WTF!!!!!!

This is, by the way, exactly why THUNDARR THE BARBARIAN had a "sunsword".  You couldn't exactly find one of those in real life.  (Although, Steve Gerber wondered how they ever got the scene where Thundarr SET FIRE to a field of dangerous drug-plants past the censors.)

The late-60's LONE RANGER cartoons, of course, were like THE WILD WILD WEST on acid.

I didn't realize both LR cartoon series were by the same studio.  (Really???  That's sad...)

I can understand the question, though.  The 1964 JONNY QUEST, when rerun on Saturday mornings in the 1970's, was BUTCHERED beyond all belief.  They CUT the entire first half of the opening credits (all that shooting and explosions!!!), several episodes were cut to ribbons.  In the "Mummy" episode-- INCREDIBLY-- every single shot of The Mummy onscreen was MISSING!!!! At first I thought, "Was this a SEQUEL I forgot about?"   And some episodes-- "The Invisible Monster" and "Monster Island" (??) were NOT show at all.  Somehow, "Turu The Terrible" was shown, but most of the violence was CUT-- and the scene of the insane old man in the wheelchair SINKING into the tar pit was also missing.  Really, there's no point even running a series if you're gonna run it like that!

A year or so after Comico licensed JQ to do their comic-book series, Hanna-Barbera got inspired to do their own revival.  (Some have said the cartoon revival came first-- THEY'RE WRONG.) The comic was wonderful.  The TV revival... almost unwatchable. And that was the LATE 80's.

I don't know that we need a non-spoiler Lone Ranger thread by now, or two separate ones. I'll just change the header.

-- MSA

I think this style assumes kids are stupid and can't clean the lesson from just watching the story.

Lumbering Jack said:
By the 1980s, Filmation was already into the "lesson of the day" style cartoons, where each episode had a heavy-handed moral story, complete with a talk about it at the end! Nice for a kid, I suppose, but aggravating to most adults.

Richard Willis said:

I think this style assumes kids are stupid and can't clean the lesson from just watching the story.

Lumbering Jack said:
By the 1980s, Filmation was already into the "lesson of the day" style cartoons, where each episode had a heavy-handed moral story, complete with a talk about it at the end! Nice for a kid, I suppose, but aggravating to most adults.

At the time, the "lesson of the day" approach was imposed on the animation studios by the networks.

...I suppose there's not a particular lot to SPOIL in it , it pretty much follows the Western/pulp genre formula...Tonto is implied to have Mystic Indian Wisdom/Powers , and the Ranger is given a romantic interest , even as the Ranger , who is - slightly - edgy , as it is - after his older brother's death - his o.b.'s widow (& mother of a child) who is furthermore strongly implied to have been a light romantic interest before the future Ranger went away to law school and o.b. moved in on her - Also , Tonto is give a back story where , as a pre-Civil War child , he is tricked (by a " Sears Roebuck " watch - ananchronism - gift) by evil white men into giving them Indian-only information that leads to said evil white men slaughtering Tonto's entire village/tribe and explains that damfool dead goose on the big T's haid...

...Yeah , MSA , considering that my Thursday night seeing of it - at the end of its 3d week now in a 78-80 seat auditorium , with about 8 (including moi) paying cudtomers , all male , 2 a father/chaild duo , the papa wearing thong sandals...

As for the Ranger's love interest , after all , we are told they everybody was a STRONG Bible reader back then !!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Richard Willis replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 237 The Silver-Age Challenge---the Cape and Cowl Contest
"Welcome from me, also. Yesterday I tried to post this using my phone and it never made it. Any post…"
23 minutes ago
Dave Palmer replied to Captain Comics's discussion This Week in Comics: June 20-26, 2022
"For an 80s example see Silver Star, and for a 90s example see Bombast."
29 minutes ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Hi all. George Perez not really my subject. Have had a short break from the thread but missed it…"
44 minutes ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Peter Wrexham said: I notice that Steve W hasn't posted anything since this cover on June…"
47 minutes ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Philip Portelli said: Imagine Disney doing a movie with the Avengers, Carol Danvers and Doctor…"
59 minutes ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Dark Shadows
"I guess I was really busy the week before I went on vacation, because I watched several episodes…"
1 hour ago
The Baron replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion All in Color for a Dime
"I've seen the Flash Gordon serial, never seen the Buck Rogers one."
2 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion All in Color for a Dime
"I was watching the "Buck Rogers" serial on TCM and, God help me, I couldn't stop…"
2 hours ago
The Baron replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion All in Color for a Dime
"I only know "Radar Men from the Moon" from its appearances in several early episodes of…"
2 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Randy Jackson's discussion Misheard lyrics you prefer to the original
"Regarding pareidolia, I've got a story for you... When I was in college, an evangelical…"
2 hours ago
Glenn Hakanson liked Captain Comics's discussion 'Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness'
2 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Captain Comics's discussion 'Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness'
"I was mistaken. My DVD won't arrive until the end of July. I'll watch it on Disney+ as…"
3 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service